Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to iLounge, Apple will be the "exclusive initial supplier" for the new Dock Connector Adapter that will allow the next-generation iPhone to be used with older 30-pin Dock Connectors. Apple will reportedly sell them for $10 each or three for $29. However, it's possible that Apple will allow third parties to build the adapter at a later date.

NewImage2.png

Additional sources have confirmed to iLounge that Apple will be the exclusive initial vendor of a new Dock Connector Adapter, to be sold individually and/or in three-packs. According to sources, the Dock Connector Adapters will sell for approximately $10 each or three for $29, with Apple-branded new USB cables selling for $19 each.
According to iLounge's source, Apple predicts it will sell 10 million adapters by the end of 2012, generating $100 million in revenue. It's likely that the adapters would have an extremely high profit margin and while this is a significant amount of money, it is but a drop in the bucket compared to Apple's total sales.

Article Link: Apple Will Be Only Supplier of New Dock Connector Adapter

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Won't be any third party cables as well? Or is that just for the adapters?

Last edited:

jacknv2

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
Kind of outrageous - they should include the adapter for this first gen new connector and then sell it separately for the 5s next year - just like how the 1st gen iPhone came with a dock.

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
then it should be free

If you aren't going to let people compete with you then your cost should reflect it by keeping them low/free. this should include adapters.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I'm sure that won't stop people from making an adapter and flooding eBay.

thope

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2009
or you could go on ebay after couple of weeks and get 3 for dollar from china.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Not bad selling a cheap USB Cable with white covering and grey writing for $19. $18 profit per sale.

Can understand them wanting to keep the exclusivity on the new connector though. Don't agree with it but can understand it.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
available on ebay from hong kong for 89cents at day 2.

apple price on these accessories is absurd

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Wow that $1 saving on purchase of three is fantastic!! Sign me up for a dozen 3-packs!!

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Only official supplier, that is. ;)

I wonder how many days it'll take for the Chinese market to start supplying them.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I imagine this will be a pack in with the iPhone 5. It certainly would be if Steve Jobs was at Apple's head, but I think Tim Cook knows that this is something simple and cheap to keep (and generate) fanboys. And ultimately, fanboys have a much better pay off than commercials (they're inexpensive to produce, essentially throwing their money at you instead of the other way around, and they pester their friends endlessly with quips like "That doesn't happen on my Mac." and "This would be easy on my Mac.")

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Should be FREE in the box of a new iPhone 5.

And one will be. No one ever said otherwise. You think Apple is going to sell a phone that can't be charged without an accessory that is sold separately? Come on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.