Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will open its first retail store in South Korea this year, according to a report on Friday (via Reuters).

The country's Yonhap News Agency said that construction was underway for a store in the southern district of Seoul and that work on the site would likely be completed by the end of November.

seoul-800x451.jpg
Image: Flickr
"We're excited about opening our first Apple Store in Korea, one of the world's economic centers and a leader in telecommunication and technology, with a vibrant K-culture," Apple told Reuters in a statement Friday.

"We're now hiring the team that will offer our customers in Seoul the service, education and entertainment that is loved by Apple customers around the world."
Yesterday, Apple listed hiring notices for 15 positions on its website, including a store leader and business manager. The exact location and start time for the jobs was omitted from the listings.

Apple's first Korean brick-and-mortar store will be in Samsung's back yard – the rival smartphone maker has its main headquarters in Suwon, about 13 miles south of the capital city.

Article Link: Apple Will Open its First Retail Store in South Korea This Year

Last edited:

doubleshot23

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2016
Finally! There's winter olympic games in South Korea (Pyongchang, 2018) and I hope Apple selling the apple watch international bands again.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I didn't know there was no Apple Store there. Auto correct on my iPad capitalized "store" in that sentence. Lol, I guess Apple wants there to be no doubt how they're to be represented.

It's smart timing for Apple, given that the Note 7 flamed up and out spectacularly there, too. A few Korean customers might be more open to trying something new than they would be otherwise. But the new generation of processors for Samsung S8's sound really sweet, so we shall see.

Jashanno

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2016
A few Korean customers might be more open to trying something new than they would be otherwise. But the new generation of processors for Samsung S8's sound really sweet, so we shall see.

I went there recently for work. I was shocked at the number of iPhones that I saw people using.

Reactions: 5105973 and dan110

jonguitar23

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2014
I went there recently for work. I was shocked at the number of iPhones that I saw people using.
About 40-50% of Koreans use iPhones. You'd be surprised.

Also, the article should point out that the store will be opened in Gangnam.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
About 40-50% of Koreans use iPhones. You'd be surprised.
It is no where near that, I'd estimate 10-15% at best. Samsung is king there, 80%+, then the rest (LG, Huawei, Pantech, Apple, etc). But it is interesting to see EVERYONE with a phone, grannies talking on 6" phablets on the subway. Phones with retractable antennas with TV tuners for PnP viewing while playing WoW.

Reactions: dan110

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It is no where near that, I'd estimate 10-15% at best. Samsung is king there, 80%+, then the rest (LG, Huawei, Pantech, Apple, etc). But it is interesting to see EVERYONE with a phone, grannies talking on 6" phablets on the subway. Phones with retractable antennas with TV tuners for PnP viewing while playing WoW.
Jeez, I need to get out more. :eek:

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
This is just great. Right in Sammy's backyard. Morally it'll be worth it if they sell three iPhones a year. Given how tech-forward South Koreans are, I'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This is just great. Right in Sammy's backyard. Morally it'll be worth it if they sell three iPhones a year. Given how tech-forward South Koreans are, I'm surprised this hasn't happened earlier.

let's not confuse tech consumption with being tech-forward.
having everything under the sun is VERY costly for Samsung. If the Note 7 debacle costs them 6 billion in losses (according to Bloomberg) then thinning out their A series and Galaxy Series to just 3 models vs 10+ you'd see a HUGE gain in profits and revenues.

Let's see Micron or other RAM/Storage manufacturing compete in volume with Samsung over long periods of time so that Apple and ween themselves off of Samsung.

fyun89

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2014

I'm sure it was due to some sort of lobbying.. So many Koreans wanted this to happen for a long time. Good for them.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
let's not confuse tech consumption with being tech-forward.
having everything under the sun is VERY costly for Samsung. If the Note 7 debacle costs them 6 billion in losses (according to Bloomberg) then thinning out their A series and Galaxy Series to just 3 models vs 10+ you'd see a HUGE gain in profits and revenues.

Let's see Micron or other RAM/Storage manufacturing compete in volume with Samsung over long periods of time so that Apple and ween themselves off of Samsung.
This is semantics on "tech-forward." I simply meant that use of personal tech has penetrated the South Korean population a lot.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

zzLZHzz

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
and the supposed Apple Store for Singapore has been under construction for more than a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.