Apple Winding Down iPad 2 Production After Three-Year Run

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple is winding down production of the iPad 2 as customer interest in the legacy device dwindles, according to a report from AppleInsider. First introduced in early 2011, the iPad 2 has remained in Apple's product lineup as a lower-price option even as newer iPad models have been discontinued.
    Apple continues to sell 16 GB iPad 2 models priced at $399 for Wi-Fi only and $529 for Wi-Fi + Cellular for the time being, coming in $100 lower than corresponding iPad Air models. There is no word yet, however, on just when Apple plans to stop selling the iPad 2 as its stocks wind down.

The iPad 2 remained popular even up until the launch of the iPad Air, with educational institutions and other specialized markets preferring the device for a combination of its lower price and its compatibility with numerous accessories through the legacy 30-pin dock connector. But with the introduction of the dramatically thinner iPad Air and Retina display-equipped iPad mini late last year, sales of the iPad 2 dropped dramatically and the company has apparently decided that continued production is not worthwhile.

Article Link: Apple Winding Down iPad 2 Production After Three-Year Run
  2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2008
    Mine still runs like a champ. Well, I neglected to put iOS 7 on it, so that may be a contributing factor.
  3. macrumors regular

May 14, 2012
    The only iPad design that fits perfectly fixed in my car :(
  4. macrumors 601

Sep 15, 2011
    Vilano Beach, FL

I still recommend the iPad2 over the iPad Air, or [Retina] Mini ...

... you know, because, umm ....

5. macrumors 65816

Sep 2, 2010
    New York
  6. macrumors demi-god

Jun 9, 2007
    Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    Same here :)
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2004
    Penn's Woods
    So that means Apple will continue to support iPad 2 with updates till?
  8. macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2013
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
    does this means iPad 2 and let alone other A5 chip devices won't get iOS 8 update?
  9. macrumors 68030

Mar 25, 2011
    I see a ipad air non retina in the future. 20 hour battery life.
  10. macrumors 65816

Apr 22, 2008
    At last.

Selling the iPad 2 for only $100 less than the Air was a rip off. They should have at least offered the 4th gen or at worst the 3rd gen for that price. Can't wait to see the back of the iPad 2, in a metaphorical sense - it's not an invitation to reply to me with a picture of the back of an iPad 2 haha :p
  11. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    Not necessarily. The iPad mini (without Retina display) is still being sold.
  12. zorinlynx, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

macrumors 68040

May 31, 2007
    Florida, USA
    I figured they were done manufacturing, and were selling old stock at this point. We ordered 30 iPad 2s for the purpose of doing classroom surveys, and they all came with iOS 6 installed, so they were likely produced mid-last year, at the latest.

I laughed to myself as I used Configurator to bump them all en-masse up to 7.0.4, thinking about all the people who accidentally upgraded and whined about losing iOS 6. Bwa ha ha ha.

iPad 2s are great for this purpose; they're less expensive, sufficiently fast to do the job and less attractive a theft target than iPad Airs or Minis would be.

EDIT: I should add that if you have to configure a bunch of iPads and haven't played with Configurator, to do so. It's one of the coolest apps I didn't know existed! We bought an ergotron cart with built-in USB hubs that lets you plug up to 32 iPads into one Mac. They all show up in Configurator, and you can mass-wipe, install profiles and restrictions, and mass-restore a backup to all of them to make them identical. Really neat stuff, with absolutely NO similar software available for Android, which is why we went with iOS for this purpose.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2012
    And there i was hoping that they'll still be selling it next to ipad air 2:D
  14. macrumors 65816

Jun 9, 2011
    Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    LOL, mine was getting doggy until I installed iOS 7. Since then, it's been all smooth sailing.
  15. macrumors 65816

May 3, 2013
    Who are you kidding?
  16. macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose
    Can't wait for the mad rush to acquire the last of their inventory :D
  17. macrumors member

May 16, 2011
    Not only is it very outdated, but it's only $100 cheaper than the iPad Air. Technology that's over 2 years newer for just $100 more than the iPad 2 is a no brainer.

It's also a better idea to get the Mini Retina over the 2, which are the same price, because it's faster, lighter, and has a more preferred screen size (for many people).
  18. macrumors 68020

May 23, 2011
    A5 will get iOS 8, and that would be the final OS they will get.

Currently Apple has the iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPhone 4s, and iPod Touch (5th) that use A5.
  19. macrumors 601

Mar 11, 2013
    Farewell iPad 2, I never knew thee...

Sent from the "New iPad"....
  20. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2013
    It doesn't mean anything, but it could mean it is nearing EOL. However that doesn't mean there won't be updates for it.

The 3GS was technically discontinued in late 2012, but the 3GS still received 6.0.1, 6.1, 6.1.2, and 6.1.3 (a total of 6 months later) and the iPhone 5 is still receiving updates despite being discontinued as well. Based on Apple/iOS history, I would assume if they dropped update support, it would be at least after iOS 8 or 9, and even then it is possible they will patch major security issues.

tl;dr: Apple works in mysterious ways / dunno, maybe.
  21. macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2011
    Riga, Latvia
  22. macrumors 68040

Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    Is the iPad 2 the last version of a device still in production that Steve Jobs introduced?
  23. macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2010
    iPad mini and iPod Touch 5 only gets 2 updates if iOS 8 is the final OS.

iPad 1 went from iOS 3 to iS 5. iPad 2 went from iOS 4 to iOS 8 (if it get supported), iPad 3 went from iOS 5 to iOS 8 (if it get supported).

iPhone 3GS went from iOS 3 to iOS 6, iPhone 4 went from iOS 4 to iOS 7, iPhone 4S went from iOS 5 to iOS 8.

So based on this tradition, most devices gets 3 software updates. So I suspect iPad mini and iPod Touch 5 could get iOS 9, possibly iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.
  24. macrumors 65816

Sep 2, 2010
    New York
    Nobody. I had mine up until this year, and before iOS 7 it ran as well as the day I bought it. It was a truly great device. The iPad 3 messed that up because it was underpowered, and the iPad 4 was getting rather heavy. The Air is great, or so I hear, besides lack of RAM.

The iPad 2 was great. It's best days are behind it now, but it was a great device in my opinion.
  25. macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2012
    Mine still runs extremely well too! Unlike my iPad 1 which crashes often (only use this extremely rarely though). I have iOS 5.1.1 running on my iPad 2 (2,4). Been tempted to upgrade to iOS 7 but I think I will keep it as is. :)

I don't think my 2,4 still has the 11.7 hrs battery life though. It's much closer to the standard 10 or even less. But thats probably because I dont follow the recommended charging cycles. But thats cool.

iPad 2 has had a good run. I'm guessing iPad Air will become the iPad 2 of the Apple product line once iPad Air 2 comes along.