Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Talk about getting into the fast lane....

Apple kept selling a three year running ?

When one lonely product stands out as a "because it's out best seller" that says something,

Also. the issue of its being a best seller, can only come to play because Apple kept it round..

If Apple discontinued it with everything else at the time, this would not be a discussion, and the fury's will fly, but eventually, those users will just have to move on like Apple does to anyone.

Better late than never, but seriously Apple. don't do this again....

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Talk about getting into the fast lane....

Apple kept selling a three year running ?

When one lonely product stands out as a "because it's out best seller" that says something,

Also. the issue of its being a best seller, can only come to play because Apple kept it round..

If Apple discontinued it with everything else at the time, this would not be a discussion, and the fury's will fly, but eventually, those users will just have to move on like Apple does to anyone.

Better late than never, but seriously Apple. don't do this again....

Gee, what´s the problem?

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
You don't see Apple still selling the white Macbook do you? Everyone liked that too

I think that in part had to do with the fact that they wanted to get rid of plastic in their line up in part for environmental reasons.

Still don´t see what the white macbook has to do with it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I think that in part had to do with the fact that they wanted to get rid of plastic in their line up in part for environmental reasons.

Still don´t see what the white macbook has to do with it.

Well, Apple would have kept it round too.

My point is, there are lots of products that are popular,, the iPad 3 they dismissed that overnight, and launched the 4th Gen. with lightning..

The fact is, why just the iPad 2 ? There were lots of other products that were "best sellers" yet Apple was quick to get rid off/change....

So, as far as "we kept the ipad 2 just because it IS a best seller." it crap, cos i can think of a few others too

In any case, everything has to go eventually. The Macbook Pro 17' did too.

tofubean

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011
Bought ipad2 when it first came out. Been using it daily ever since. I jailbroke it... installed newest OS on it... and yet it still works like a champ.

Now just waiting for it to spoil before i upgrade to another tablet or the newest ipad... but it seems to be taking a really long time. :p

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Mine still runs like a champ. Well, I neglected to put iOS 7 on it, so that may be a contributing factor.

I didn't instead and i had the same fears like you,
my iphone 3g was almost bricked
but believe me mine runs like a champ ,well like before:cool:
and i'm quite happy

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I skipped over the iPad 2 I used the iPad 1 until the iPad 3 was released, the iPad 2 just didn't have any compelling features that would make me want to upgrade. Little did I know the iPad 3 was going to be such a disappointment in terms of speed and battery life but that retina display was really nice looking. Now I'm on the iPad Air and will probably skip the iPad Air 2 just as I did the iPad 2.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Not only is it very outdated, but it's only $100 cheaper than the iPad Air. Technology that's over 2 years newer for just $100 more than the iPad 2 is a no brainer.

It's also a better idea to get the Mini Retina over the 2, which are the same price, because it's faster, lighter, and has a more preferred screen size (for many people).

Lets not forget that the iPad Mini Retina also has 4 times the resolution, 4 times the CPU Speed, and 8 times the GPU speed of the iPad 2. All at the exact same price. It truly is a no brainer.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
iPad 3 vs iPad Air Display?

I skipped over the iPad 2 I used the iPad 1 until the iPad 3 was released, the iPad 2 just didn't have any compelling features that would make me want to upgrade. Little did I know the iPad 3 was going to be such a disappointment in terms of speed and battery life but that retina display was really nice looking. Now I'm on the iPad Air and will probably skip the iPad Air 2 just as I did the iPad 2.

I'm still using the iPad 3, the Retina display is very nice. It was Apple's first product to get the color right (full color gamut, etc.). I am annoyed by its slow speed, after all it is an A5 CPU with double the GPUs for 4 times the pixels.

Now that you have the iPad Air, how to the displays compare? Do they appear identical still? The iPad Air's display should be much cooler in actual temperature (not color temp.), but is that where the differences in the displays end?

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
iPad 3 was very fast and had great battery life on iOS 5-6.

fertilized-egg

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2009
Now that you have the iPad Air, how to the displays compare? Do they appear identical still? The iPad Air's display should be much cooler in actual temperature (not color temp.), but is that where the differences in the displays end?

To my eyes they look roughly the same. The main difference is the feel of the glass. The new thinner display glass of the air feels a bit more filmsy/flexible compared to the old one.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
ipad 2 runs more than any iPad series.... Now i know why Steve loved this particular iPad so much...it wasn't a washed up, only spec iPad.

catplusplus

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2014
If Apple was still a Steve Jobs company

They would have discontinued iPad 2 as soon as iPad Air was released. Keeping clearly inferior products such as iPad 2, iPod nano/classic and lower end non-Air MacBooks says it all. I would allow that iPod shuffle and Mac Pro serve genuinely unique needs that can not be addressed by other products.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
It doesn't mean anything, but it could mean it is nearing EOL. However that doesn't mean there won't be updates for it.

The 3GS was technically discontinued in late 2012, but the 3GS still received 6.0.1, 6.1, 6.1.2, and 6.1.3 (a total of 6 months later) and the iPhone 5 is still receiving updates despite being discontinued as well. Based on Apple/iOS history, I would assume if they dropped update support, it would be at least after iOS 8 or 9, and even then it is possible they will patch major security issues.

tl;dr: Apple works in mysterious ways / dunno, maybe.

I don't know if apple would or wouldn't give the iPad 2 ios 8. I mean look at the iPod touch 4th gen all those people who bought it over the summer last year and got mad because it didn't get ios 7. I mean my iPad 2 running ios 7 wasn't the best experience and my air blows it out of the water.

----------

I could have understood $249 or maybe even $299. But $399, come on Apple? What are you smoking? For $399 you can get a mini retina with a faster processor (by a mile) and future proof-ing. The iPad 2 will be granted clemency for iOS 8 (which it will run in hobbled mode), but then be given the axe for iOS 9.

A couple of months back I purchased an iPad 4 for $320 off of craigslist. Why on earth would I have wanted an iPad 2 for $400 plus tax?

I think it a bad idea for apple to not bring back the ipad 3 or 4 as the bargain large iPad for $399. But this seems to be their new m.o. evidenced from the ugly iPhone 5C (which instead of becoming the solid $99 subsidized performer of the past year-old phones is being offered for $0 during some specials).

It will be interesting to see what Apple does moving forward for ipad and iphone with their two tier model and whether the year old models are always booted off the retail floor.
I sell iPads for a living and you would be surprised at how many people look at the iPad 2 because of price and nothing else it's a bit sad. Sometimes I wish I could just scream at them. And I hate the line "it's a gift and it's good enough". For $100 more or the same price get the air or mini retina. The person you are giving it to will thank you in the long run. And you telling me you don't care makes you sound cheap and like you don't care about the person you are giving the iPad to.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.