Apple Wins Injunction Barring U.S. Sales of Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 29, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Just days after Apple won an injunction barring U.S. sales of Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, Reuters reports that the same judge has issued a second preliminary injunction that would bar sales of Samsung's Galaxy Nexus smartphone.
    The new Galaxy Nexus injunction is a much more significant victory for Apple than the Galaxy Tab 10.1 injunction, as evidenced by the $95 million bond Apple will need to post in order for the injunction to take effect. The bond money, which amounted to only $2.6 million in the Galaxy Tab 10.1 case, would be used to compensate Samsung should Apple ultimately lose the case when it goes to full trial.

[​IMG]

The Galaxy Nexus has been Google's flagship device for showing off its Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" operating system since late last year, and was given away to attendees at this week's Google I/O conference as part of a package showing off the forthcoming Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" update.

Article Link: Apple Wins Injunction Barring U.S. Sales of Samsung Galaxy Nexus Phone

2. macrumors 68000

adder7712

Among all Samsung phones, the Galaxy Nexus has the least resemblance to the iPhone. :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 65816

Apple really just needs to stop with this. It's make them look really insecure.

P.S. I have an iPhone so I have no agenda.

4. macrumors regular

Go Apple!! Finally, some justice is being served in this country!!

5. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The four patents in question are software.

6. macrumors 68000

adder7712

By cancelling out competition? Nope.

7. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

Hah. Lucrative ebay business opportunity!

8. macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

In this case the lawsuit is not about hardware but software: there are 4 software patents the Galaxy Nexus is considered by the judge to violate, the most important has to do with Siri

EDIT: beaten by chrm jenkins

9. kenypowa, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012

macrumors 6502a

One day, what comes around goes around. A modern smartphone involves over 200,000 patents, and you would be naive to believe Apple doesn't infringe any one of them.

10. macrumors 68030

Cue I just want my iPhone 5!!!!! posts :D:p

11. macrumors regular

Well this sucks :/

12. macrumors 68000

adder7712

The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have Siri-like functionality.

13. macrumors member

Last dying breath

“I will spend my last dying breath if I need to, and I will spend every penny of Apple’s $40 billion in the bank, to right this wrong.”

“I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stolen product. I’m willing to go thermonuclear war on this.”

14. TennisandMusic

Problem is Steve Jobs was wrong. These patents, and their enforcement, are completely ridiculous.

15. macrumors P6

Peace

[​IMG]

wait....

16. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

[​IMG]

17. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

No justice here, that phone looks nothing like an iPhone maybe the tablet did but this phone is a joke. I guess Apple is pissed at what happen before and Samsung not playing ball. But with billions to burn I can see Apple playing Microsofts game for years to come. :(

18. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Apple won't win if this goes to trial and it will cost them the $9m bond, whatever money they paid this judge to grant the injunction and Samsugs legal fees not to mention their own.

19. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

Then why not sue Google? Case dismissed if we follow your logic. :rolleyes:

20. macrumors P6

Peace

And you know this how ?

21. macrumors regular

Shame that it came to this. This injunction will hit Google where it really hurts.

Who is in the right? Well, I stand by my belief that Google did directly rip off of a lot of core software technologies in iPhone. That said, Apple is violating the spirit of competition with this lawsuit.

I think poor Samsung is the real loser here though.

22. macrumors 6502

Nit taking sides here... But

...Samsung has filed a few dumb lawsuits itself against apple...

"Cant we all just get along"

23. macrumors 65816

Apple sees Google's OS and $349 unlocked price and sues everything in sight. They see a major threat and go for the jugular legal-wise. Psst: it's called competition.

Sigh. Apple seems to want nobody to push them with competing products. Their basis for this is far-reaching...google is a search company, of course their phone software will perform basic and advanced search functions (including voice). They really need to chill out with all this suing crap. It's tacky.

I'm honestly considering selling my iPad and Macbook out of principle. I'm quickly losing respect for Apple's management. They are behaving like children. It's hard to support a company that quickly moves to stifle competition and innovation.

The Galaxy Nexus is an amazing device and Jelly Bean is a superb OS. Apple knows this and they are scrambling to eliminate competition.

24. macrumors 68000

kiljoy616

Even if it did that is a Google made OS not a Samsung one. Apple is pulling a page out of Microsofts playbook, sue as long as possible and stifle competition or until they play ball. :eek:

25. macrumors regular

It's not fair competition if you've implemented someone else's ideas without permission or compensation. That should probably be "cancelled out."