Apple Wins Patent for Pressure-Sensitive Device Casings

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple was today granted a 2009 patent application to allow users to control a device by pressing on, or squeezing, parts of the casing. An illustration in the patent shows potential touch-sensitive areas across a whole range of different devices:

The patent, discovered by AppleInsider, combines two different methods of detecting and measuring the amount of pressure applied: one physical, the other electrical. The capacitance test, which works in a similar way to touchscreens, would enable the device to tell human touch apart from accidental pressure applied while the device was carried in a pocket or bag.
    Apple patents a great many technologies it never uses, either as potential solutions that are later rejected or to protect against competitor use, although the metal casing of the iPhone 5 could make the system practical on any future iPhone models with a similar casing.

Article Link: Apple Wins Patent for Pressure-Sensitive Device Casings
  2. macrumors 6502

Jan 3, 2002
  3. macrumors regular

Oct 28, 2010
    All these devices look so old! I can't believe in just 4 years how much mobile technology has been evolved!
  4. macrumors 68020

Jul 8, 2006
    Great but a judge will probably reverse nearly half of this decision in a few months. :p
  5. macrumors 603

Have to agree here, I think this is nothing more than what is already out there.
  6. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    I think that unless you build it and sell it, you shouldn't be holding those patent rights after a specific period of time.

maybe I am dumb
  7. macrumors regular

Jul 30, 2008
    So, if you squeeze the casing hard, it can tell the antenna to stop working properly ;)
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2007
    You're holding it wrong.

No, really, you need to squeeze here and push there to check your email.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2008
    London (Ealing) UK
    Now presenting the iSquishy.

- You're squeezing it wrong.
  10. macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2008
    Absolutely right - it's not you that's dumb, it's the patent system that is.

The other thing would be that if you don't use it within a certain period, you must licence it at a fair price to anyone else, as in the mobile phone industry.
  11. macrumors 65816

Mar 20, 2011
    Doesn't apple use something like this in the apple(mighty) mouse?
  12. macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2010
    macrumors apparently
    I was just going to edit my post to add the licensing part. totally agreed
  13. macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    Generalizing here: A lot of these patents are used for anti-competitive reasons - stop competitors from doing the same thing. I agree - a patent should become invalid if not implemented within a given time.
  14. macrumors regular

Feb 19, 2002
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Did they invent, and get the patent to, the button?
  15. macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2012
    it would be great if apple could incorporate swipe from left or right in iOS
    like the notification center on ML with the trackpad.
  16. macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2009
    This is bs. Why does Apple get to have ideas that Samsung doesn't? This should belong to Samsung.
  17. macrumors 6502a

May 30, 2007
    Maybe they can now get rid of the stupid home button that's prone to failure because of dirt getting in-between the case and the button?
  18. macrumors 65816

Jun 29, 2007
  19. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    That's because it hasn't... in 2009 Apple was selling the iPhone 3GS, months away from the iPad and a year away from the MBA. Why they used photos from products that were 3-10 years old is anyones guess...
  20. macrumors 65816

Mar 28, 2007
    So are they going to go after Amazon now? Given that alot of Kindle cases already do this?
  21. macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    Pretty much a BS patent grant. And I'm sure will be invalidated when first tested in court.
  22. macrumors member

Aug 17, 2012
    This would be good in addition to the thumb detection on the mini for greater accuracy when determining if a touch is deliberate or not.
  23. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2011
  24. macrumors 68040

May 29, 2003
    Yeah you are dumb!

If you invent something it is yours for a fixed time defined by the patent system. That is the whole point of the patent system!!! You are free to do what you want with that invention for the period of time the patent remains active.

In a sense what you want already exists, patents on inventions don't last forever. Now you could argue about the length of time for a patent but that becomes a very combative discussion. Frankly though the patent system is more rational than the copyright system which grants you exclusivity after you are dead. If you look carefully at the two systems it is pretty obvious that the patent system is less screwed up than the copyright system.
  25. macrumors 6502

May 28, 2010