Apple Wins Preliminary Injunction Against Samsung Galaxy Tab Sales in U.S.

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 26, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reuters and AllThingsD report that U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh granted a preliminary injunction against the sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab in the U.S.

The ruling is the latest in the ongoing legal battle between Apple and Samsung. Apple had accused Samsung of copying the design of Apple's iPad and iPhone products. Apple has previously sought and won injunctions against the sale of the same Samsung tablet in other countries.

As reported by AllThingsD, the new ruling stated:
    Samsung is likely to appeal the preliminary injunction but the order could go into effect once Apple posts a $2.6 million bond to cover any damages to Samsung if the injunction does not hold up in appeal.

AllThingsD received a statement from Apple that reiterated their previous claims that Samsung had copied the iPad:
    Article Link: Apple Wins Preliminary Injunction Against Samsung Galaxy Tab Sales in U.S.

2. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

This pounding of Samsung is becoming comical.

Apple simply isn't going to tolerate thieving of their
    ideas.

3. macrumors regular

Apple, love your products, but just let them exist.

4. macrumors 601

Icaras

Glad to see progress being made. Good work, Apple.

5. macrumors G5

AidenShaw

Tragi-comical - Apple are being jerks.

6. macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Hopefully this will deter Samsung (and, by extension, other companies) from copying others' designs to actually innovating on their own designs.

7. macrumors 601

Icaras

More like excersizing their legal rights.

8. macrumors 6502a

Judge: Samsung, you have to stop shipping the Galaxy 10.1
    Samsung: We stopped shipping those 6 months ago.

9. macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Yeah, how dare they protect their own IP and uniqueness of their brand.:rolleyes:

10. macrumors regular

"...we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas."

Good one, Apple. I'll keep quiet about valid arguments of cases where YOU guys have stolen ideas from other companies.
    (Which, everyone steals from everyone so I guess it doesn't matter anyway)

11. macrumors G5

Rogifan

As if Samsung is totally innocent.

12. macrumors 65816

Indeed there must be millions of way to design a tablet :rolleyes:.

13. macrumors P6

Peace

Good for Apple..

14. macrumors 6502a

Overpriced, out dated, honeycomb tablet.

and not a single was given that day.

15. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Which is why Apple is suing every tablet and Android phone over this particular issue...oh...wait...it's just Samsung? Nobody else?

Well, if Apple is just being a jerk and this works so well, why do you think they're limiting themselves to just one company? Surely you have an answer to that question, right?

16. Guest

eric/

I strongly dislike patents and copyrights, especially when being used at this.

Though I do like the legacy that Steve Jobs has left; the legacy of going after somebody with such tenacity.

17. macrumors regular

When is Apple going to sue Android manufacturers for copying iOS's pulldown notification center?

18. macrumors 65816

nunes013

sick of hearing about all the legal battles. some of samsungs stuff does look like a complete ripoff but Apple does stretch things too far with other things. i just hope Apple is putting the money i throw at them into a lot of R&D

19. macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Once the Surface comes to market, Apple will really have something to worry about. They'll have real competition and nothing to sue over. Now that will be comical.

20. macrumors regular

Not millions, but, enough that if you could figure it out, you wouldn't be working in McDonald's.

21. macrumors 6502

When somebody patents that mechanism as their own and Apple is found infringing upon that patent.

22. macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

As many as the number of brain cells one is willing to allocate to design something.

23. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

AidenShaw ...you are correct. Apple is being a huge jerk to a large supplier no less. I really think this is setting a message. Apple is in effect saying

"we don't care if you provide many of our components ..our designs are our designs and we pay Jony Ive a lot of money to come up with ideas that we're not going to let you take with impunity"

The tone is being set and I'm sure other vendors are taking notice and will tread a bit more lightly around Apple.

24. macrumors 68000

TMar

So if Apple start making TV's are the big name players going to sue them because they make a TV shaped TV? Does Ford sue GM because they make car shaped cars. All my shoes are shoe shaped maybe there is a lawsuit somewhere there too, humm...

25. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Twitter owns that one.

As of now they claim that they won't sue anyone over it. But of course, that's just a promise.