Apple Wins Prestigious Advertising Award for iPad Mini Magazine Campaign

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 20, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple and TBWA Media Arts Lab have won a Grand Prix for Press award at the Cannes Lion International Festival of Creativity, one of the most prestigious awards in advertising.

The award is for the iPad mini campaign where Apple put actual covers of magazines on a life-size mockup of the mini to show how magazines could be read on the device. The ads ran on the back of the magazine from which they took their cover. A number of publications received the treatment.

[​IMG]
    AdAge reports that Apple won largely because, according to category judge Marcello Serpa, "we were looking at a piece that makes print, the category itself, a hero."
    Article Link: Apple Wins Prestigious Advertising Award for iPad Mini Magazine Campaign

2. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Nice. It was a great ad! :)

3. macrumors 6502

bchery21

It was a simple and clever ad.

4. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Basically all they did was put the image of the cover in the iPad mini?

I guess their less is more approach actually worked.

5. macrumors 68000

Reason077

Haven't you ever watched Mad Men? Smart people spend a lot of time and effort coming up with stuff like this! There was probably a lot of conflict and drama along the way, too. ;)

6. macrumors 68040

the8thark

I agree it's a great ad. Now we need google to have the same quality of advertising. And not the sub par stuff they have now.

7. macrumors 6502

BruceEBonus

"It has a kind of guerrilla feeling," Mr. Serpa said. "It's a product that goes inside the media and says I'm going to kill you, [then] I'm going to save you. Let's embrace. It's redemption."

What a load or pseudo intellectualist bullshine.
    Break it down in to sections. Means nothing. The Plain English Campaign would have a field day with that waffle.

Pretentious cak!

Thanks

8. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

Wow, never thought of like that, smart guy.
    To me. I only saw the ipad mini on the back, and it kinda says "you can also read me on ipad mini" :p

9. macrumors 6502a

And you base this on what? Armchair quarterbacking?

10. macrumors 6502a

Funny how you don't see MS getting awarded for their recent ads...

11. macrumors regular

macse30

So damn smart.

12. macrumors 68000

iGrip

Agreed. "It's redemption"? Please.

13. macrumors member

What, an award for noting that their device has a stand...
    and
    it
    clicks?

14. macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Basically all anyone does is just something, right?

Basically Apple just makes awesome devices.

Basically those guys in space suits just landed on the moon.

15. macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

All MS ads feature the iPad win win for apple.

16. iAi
    macrumors 6502

MS is going to win so many iQuacking awards!

17. macrumors 68030

Is a pretty slick ad.

18. tgi
    macrumors 65816

tgi

I agree, pretty cool.

19. macrumors 6502

SgtPepper12

Sorry, but it makes perfect sense, and I don't see the pretentiousness at all. It's just how some people see things.

20. macrumors 68040

the8thark

No need to be snide. Advertisers target people like you and I. And believe it or not, we know what works and what does not work. Cause we buy or don't buy products based on advertising. I and a lot of people I know look at google advertising and it makes us even less interested in what is being advertised.

Apple get it. Advertising in a way is art. People should be drawn to the advertisement itself as much as the product being adverted. I've seen a lot of good stuff done through google ads. But they way in which they advertise it is a big turn off.

So your comment is not really needed. We all get it if we think about it for a second.

21. macrumors 6502

From a semiotic standpoint (going beyond a purely traditional Sausserian definition of semiology, of course), the ad is brilliant: it deconstructs the opposition between print and a skeumorphic reinterpretation of print, and then reassembles them into synergistic Other that is simultaneously foreign and familiar, at least to Western sensibilities. To merely call it Postmodern is to diminish the non-ironic reference to Neoplatonism that has always been central to Apple's modus operandi (e.g., "It's magical!"). Only the imbecilic and the ignorant, having seen this ad, would claim that Apple no longer innovates.

22. macrumors 68040

Glideslope

Nice

Very Nice. :)

23. macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

I understand the point you're trying to make, but equating landing on the moon to a clever idea for a magazine print ad is a bit of a stretch.

24. macrumors member

This and the "aside from everything that's changed X is the same as X-1 before it" mentality of quite a lot of geeks can be amusing.

25. macrumors regular

thisisdallas

I wouldn't say Google ads are bad, but they don't inform me of a product or make me any more interested in buying/using it. They focus too much on making their ads into cute little videos that make you feel warm and fuzzy.

They're fun to watch and grab your attention, but don't actually do anything in the way of even showing a product aside from maybe a transparent Google+ logo on a laptop screen.