Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjacks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
The keyboard and mouse that come with the new iMac will be the same as the old ones right?

I was expecting them to be rechargable and thinner.

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
The keyboard and mouse that come with the new iMac will be the same as the old ones right?

Yeah they're the same. I was hoping for the same thing, but I'm sure we'll see some slight changes next fall with the 2013 iMacs.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
What do people find is the best method for keeping your Keyboard or Mouse powered, do you use apple's battery charger or are duracel or energizer's rechargeable battery things just as good (and cheaper)?

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
What do people find is the best method for keeping your Keyboard or Mouse powered, do you use apple's battery charger or are duracel or energizer's rechargeable battery things just as good (and cheaper)?

Eneloops! :)

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Eneloops! :)

Definitely Eneloops. Consistent high quality. Duracell and Energizer vary a lot from batch to batch, and a significant percentage of them don't age well. The higher the capacity, the worse they seem to hold up.

Eneloops don't have quite as much capacity, but the minuscule self-discharge makes up for it in most applications.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Yeah there was a new Apple patent this year for a new type of key press tech can't seem to find it right now.

intz2nu

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
I leave my Apple Wireless Keyboard on 24/7-365 and NEVER turn it off EVER! been this way with 2 2010 iMacs I've had for over year or so and probably only ever needed to change the batteries maybe once or twice out of a year for the keyboard. I wish the same could be said for my mice. I leave it on 24/7-365 as I do with the keyboard but probably need to change out batteries at least 6 or 8 times out of a year. The batteries I'm using is regular off the shelf Duracels, though sometimes I do use the Pink Bunnies. How long does Eneloop batteries last?

----------

I honestly don't mind the current design, though I guess thinner could be better? I dunno not too sure. But I know what would be a plus in a new keyboard for the iMacs would be if Apple made it back-lit as they've done with their Notebook line

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Wait a minute will I have to get batteries for kbd/mouse doesn't it come with the imac?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I don't think the mouse need to get thinner; if I'm not using the touch pad I prefer a mouse which fits roughly into my hand.
Keyboard is also ok for me; a but hub is also required to get a good feeling while typing.

I think Apple should put all design and engineering into the big topics: Mac Pro, Mini Retina, big Apple TV.

As for the energy: I use always Eneloop; for keyboard, mouse, toys, Canon Flash. Just the best experience.

liudekhua

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
do you use apple's battery charger or are duracel or energizer's rechargeable battery things just as good (and cheaper)?

apple's rechargeable batteries are the same as sanyo's eneloop. apple just rebrands them. go for eneloop if you want quality at a lower price.

iAll

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
SE NH
I've had my iMac 21.5 for well over a year and it came with the Mighty Mouse and wireless keypad. I tried the trackpad for a brief stint, but found it to be too cumbersome and it seemed to lack real feel control. The mouse I replaced with a wired logitech because there was no way to keep the MM from gulping down batteries unless you were extremely consistent about shutting it off after each use. The wireless keyboard however, continues to be a real trooper and is very efficient with battery consumption. I believe it shuts itself off and has never missed a beat.

Kev.LoveMac

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2012
I was hoping they would add a full keyboard wireless version. I guess I'm old fashioned in that I still use the keypad!

It does becomes better if it is a full keyboard with wireless. However apple just wants everything to be simple.

Caromsoft

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
How long does Eneloop batteries last?

The Eneloops in the keyboard last well over six months, I change them so infrequently I don't really know. In the Magic Mouse, which I use all day everyday they last four weeks or so. I have a couple of spares charged and ready so it only takes a minute to change them.

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
I'd have liked inductive charging and a full wireless keyboard or an integrated magic trackpad keyboard. The Mobee solution just didn't work for me.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I will be tossing these on craigslist as soon as I get them. I much rather perfer a keyboard/mouse with some options for gaming and extreme computing tasks(mostly gaming lol).

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I figured they'd make it even thinner... now the iMac (on the edges) is just about as thin as the keyboard... maybe a laser keyboard should project out of the apple logo onto the desk and integrate a leap motion sensor in the front of the stand in place of the mouse (actually I hope they never do anything like that).

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks guys, let me just check is this what I should be buying?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-Eneloop-Charger-Inc-Batteries/dp/B000N64EL2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354129826&sr=8-1

In my ignorance I'd never heard of eneloops before.

Those are the Eneloops that I use.

I don't know if the charger is good or bad. The best chargers charge each battery independently. If they only charge pairs of batteries, the weaker battery tends to be overcharged a bit each time, which makes it progressively worse each time.

macjacks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2012
I honestly don't mind the current design, though I guess thinner could be better? I dunno not too sure. But I know what would be a plus in a new keyboard for the iMacs would be if Apple made it back-lit as they've done with their Notebook line

I was joking about being thinner, but definitely would like it to be rechargeable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.