Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
Hi all.

I have a PM G5 with Apple wireless keyboard and mouse (from the factory). Everything has been working great until this morning.

In the last couple of days, the keyboard battery level has gotten low. Not unexpected since the batteries were 6 months old. This morning, I booted up my Mac. My wireless mouse connected just fine, as usual. However, not a gosh darn thing from the keyboard. Completely dead. I figured the batteries had finally crapped out, so I installed some new batteries. Closed the keyboard battery lid and turned the keyboard back on. Waited for about 10 minutes. Still, absolutely nothing. Tried starting the computer and waited for another 10 minutes. Nothing. My mouse connects just fine, but my keyboard refuses to budge.

I've tried using different batteries, and a combination of restarting/shutting down/turning the keyboard power on and off and nothing works. It just absolutely refuses to connect. My mouse, on the other hand, connects every time. I've tried searching the Apple support forums - a lot of (no) help that was. I tried searching the macrumors forums and the only related problem other people seem to have is the entire bluetooth system not working. This isn't the case with me, however, because my mouse is connecting fine, but the only thing I get from the keyboard is the blinking green light in the rear, indicating it's trying, but failing, to estbalish a connection with the computer.

I don't have Applecare, and my 90-day phone support is expired with Apple, so casually calling them with my problem - and getting charged however much money for it - isn't really an option. I don't have a wired USB keyboard lying around my house to connect to it temporarily either. I've tried getting my computer to boot from the hardware test cd... but you need to hold down the "c" key to get it to boot from the CD. Kind of a problem for me.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have a similar problem?

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
Ok, first things first. Take a deep breath. Again. Now compliment your Mac...something like "You're so beautiful and powerful, dual G5." That should do it! ;)

On a more serious note, sometimes my Apple BT mouse is a stubborn little bugger and I have to coerce it a bit. This is easily done. Turn your keyboard on (the LED is probably flashing if I remember correctly). Open up your applications folder, select utilities, then open Bluetooth Setup Assistant. Under "select device type" select keyboard and your PM should automatically discover it. Depending on whether or not your BT connection is encrypted, you may be asked to enter in the passcode that appears on the screen before pairing will complete.

Alternatively, the above can be performed via the BT icon on the Apple bar.

The Apple BT peripherals are generally good at maintaining connection with the computer, but every once in a while they act up a bit. My mouse sometimes drops the connection and refuses to reconnect until I use the setup assistant. Only once has my keyboard not reconnected automatically. Be thankful that your mouse is working properly during all of this. I remember trying to figure out the key combinations necessary to navigate to the BT setup assistant. It was quite frustrating the first time. Now it's easy. :D

Good luck!

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
I'd try that but...

I'd try that but the problem is that in order to access anything, I need to login. And unfortunately I can't log in without typing in a password.

I'm beginning to think that my only option is to go out and buy a wired keyboard so i can hook it up to my mac to do anything to fix the wireless keyboard? What a pain in the butt :(

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
Fixed, but...

I went to best buy and bought a wired apple keyboard. Sure enough, the profile for my wireless keyboard was just straight up gone. No evidence that a wireless keyboard had ever been connected to my computer.

However, now my finder won't load up. It loads the menu bar and dock and hangs with a beachball. I'm running the apple hardware test right now. If it can't find anything, it may be time to look at software issues.

Going to try PRAM, etc first

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
You should ALWAYS have a wired keyboard! I can't quite believe you don't own a usb keyboard!
When the battieries go, the keyboard generally forgets 'who' it is and you have to pair it to you computer (you should install new ones when it tells you to if you dont want to have to re-pair it)

P.S. Some updates (and 10.4 probably will be no exception) like Bluetooth firmware etc, will temporarily un-nerve the computer and you will have to re-pair or wait until login for bluetooth to sort itself out. You need USB as a backup. REMEMBER bluetooth is never going to be 100% reliable, there's no physical connection between the two bits!

(I use BT for Palm, Phone, Keyboard, Mouse, Sending files between computers)

I'm still flabergasted you didn't have a USB keyboard - doesn't one come as standard!?

Geez man, you better use that G5 for summit like 8 hours a day with Final Cut Pro Hd or summit!

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
I'm still flabergasted you didn't have a USB keyboard - doesn't one come as standard!?

Unfortunately, no. Apple offers an excellent deal if you purchase the built-in BT, mouse, and keyboard combo from the factory ($80 for all, IIRC). You must forego the wired keyboard, however.

Does the Apple wired keyboard have USB 2.0 ports, or are they 1.0?

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2004
anubis said:
I'd try that but the problem is that in order to access anything, I need to login. And unfortunately I can't log in without typing in a password.

I'm beginning to think that my only option is to go out and buy a wired keyboard so i can hook it up to my mac to do anything to fix the wireless keyboard? What a pain in the butt :(

Funny thing...mine did a similar thing last night. Panther was acting a bit funny (responsive, but a little strange), so I decided to restart. When the login screen appeared, I tried to enter in my password but it wouldn't let me. Each time I pressed a key, I got the error sound (it wouldn't even show the "dots" in the password field). I was a bit confused and tried to restart again. Same thing happened, but it would allow me to "type" if I held down the shift or option keys. Of course, the password was incorrect so the computer rejected it.

With no other ideas left to try, I simply turned off the keyboard and computer and left them that way overnight. Apparently they were tired and needed rest, because I turned both back on this morning and they have both been working just fine. Weird.

I'll definitely need to invest in a wired KB as one will be needed for the Tiger install.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmm...

Have you tried turning the mouse off, turning the keyboard on and restarting? This might force it to connect...

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
Lessons learned:

I should always keep a wired keyboard and mouse available in case the wireless setup gets messed up somehow. Luckily for me my local Best Buy sells Apple keyboard and mice for some strange reason.

Luckily I have 2 hard drives, so it was an easy matter of copying the entire boot drive to the second, larger drive as a backup and just formatting the boot drive for a clean reinstall. I am pleasantly surprised at the number of apps that normally require serial number entry on installation that somehow retained that registratin information and still open, even after a clean reinstall. The only software I'll have to do a full reinstall on is MATLAB.

Definitely less painful than a full reinstall of XP.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
anubis said:
Lessons learned....

Does this mean that the re-install worked for you? If not, did you try booting off the test CD? I'm sorry you're having trouble -- I'm a wireless addict, so it makes me sad when people have trouble with the stuff, cuz I want the technology to work. ;) And since Apple *does* sell iMac G5s and PM's without wired input devices, the system should work reliably without having to own them.

BTW, another option might be to borrow a USB keyboard from your work IT people, or from a friend. Any old one should work.

Leeloo the 5th

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2005
Belgium
Whew, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread! I'm about to buy a Mini, and I was trying to decide wheter I'd go with a wired or a wireless Apple keyboard. But I'm decided now: I'll buy a wired kb as I don't already own a usb kb, the wireless will be for later.

Now the question that made me search the forum for threads about apple kb's: do the wireless Apple kb's have USB ports? I know the wired ones do, although they aren't powered. Thanks!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Leeloo the 5th said:
Now the question that made me search the forum for threads about apple kb's: do the wireless Apple kb's have USB ports? I know the wired ones do, although they aren't powered. Thanks!

I don't think they do. And if they did, almost any USB device beyond a mouse would be *painfully* slow through bluetooth. It doesn't have that kind of bandwidth -- USB 1.1 is more than 10x as fast as Bluetooth 1.0.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Leeloo the 5th said:
Hmmm, I see... The USB ports are really a must, especially with a Mini. I'll definitely go for a wired Apple keyboard!

You may be happier with a powered hub, in any event. There have been reports that the Mini's USB hub, while powered according to the USB spec, is not exactly *over-powered*, and people who use lots of USB devices and didn't use powered hubs have had trouble. This might have been resolved, but.... Me personally, I have a USB printer (lives on my AEBS), and my camera (soon to be cameras...*jumps up and down excitedly waiting for his digital rebel* :D), but since that's it, it really isn't an issue for me. Oh, and I have an iBook, so my USB ports are normally doing nada.

Leeloo the 5th

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2005
Belgium
Well I'll have 4 powered USB ports on my new 17" Dell LCD monitor, which I've ordered two days ago (*jumps along in excitement*), so I figured that wouldn't be an issue.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Leeloo the 5th said:
Well I'll have 4 powered USB ports on my new 17" Dell LCD monitor, which I've ordered two days ago (*jumps along in excitement*), so I figured that wouldn't be an issue.

Ahhh, good point! :) Now we both have something to celebrate when the delivery truck comes! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.