Apple Wireless Keyboard

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Icekey, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Icekey macrumors member

Oct 14, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    I've got my 15" powerbook, but after seeing people's setups, I might consider getting myself a mouse and a keyboard. As for the mouse, I think I'll get the logitech mouseman traveller since it matches the powerbook, but keyboard I think wireless is a good solution.

My question to you all is, is it worth it? Is it good to program with. I enjoy typing on the laptop, but wouldn't mind a nice full size keyboard with a numpad. Are there alternatives that you guys recommend? The reason why I am thinking of this is because of the Apple key being quite useful.

2. ksz macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Definitely worth it for me. Programming can be more efficient given the following:

1. Delete-Right key (Backspace deletes characters on the left of the cursor, Del deletes characters on the right). PowerBook keyboards don't have a Del key AFAIK.

2. Separate banks of cursor and Page Up/Down, Home/End keys simply makes it faster to move around. I rarely use the mouse for moving within a file.

Look at a programmer's keyboard after 6 months of use and you'll want to spare your PowerBook from the same fate.

As for a separate mouse, obviously mice are more productive than trackpads, but a 3-button scroll-wheel mouse makes things even more convenient. There are plenty of context menus in XCode and the more you use context menus, the more you'll appreciate having the right mouse button.