Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse/Keyboard Combo Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by queshy, Jan 1, 2007.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hello,

I'm about to buy a new iMac, and I'm wondering whether or not I should pay for the upgrade for the wireless mouse/keyboard. I have a Logitech mouse/keyboard now that is blue/black, and it really won't match the iMac. In fact, itll look very awkward with it. Secondly, I like how hte Mac m/k are bluetooth which means there is no receiver. This is nice, because it'll free up a USB port on the iMac. The design also seems very nice. I know Logitech has a similar wireless m/k combo, but it isn't bluetooth.

The only thing that worries me about the mighty mouse is the whole right click thing. Is it really that hard to right click? And are those side buttons as hard to squeeze as people say they are? The mouse I have now has a back/forward set of buttons that is very handy for web pages. Can I configer the MM somehow to do that? From what I have read, there are really mixed views about this mouse. Some say the right click is impossible, others say it isnt, etc.

any thoughts? thanks!

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I had a Mighty Mouse, but went back to a regular two-button mouse when I realized you couldn't right click and left click at the same time (hold both down simultaneously). That really killed it since I like to play games on occasion. Uh... other than that, I would say it's really a matter of personal preference. If you can, go to an Apple Store or a CompUSA or wherever they sell Macs near you and just try a mouse out.

3. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

Thanks for the reply.I'm a casual gamer only, so the two button thing doesnt really apply for me. You must be playing WoW?

I'm more of a sims/flight sim/hockey gamer.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Actually, I was playing a lot of Battlefield: Vietnam, and when I used to have an iMac, BF2. You can't really zoom in temporarily and shoot if you can't hold both buttons down.

5. mikesjo macrumors regular

I'd get a multi button mouse, much more useful in OSX.

6. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

I wouldn't do it. Apple makes great products and the included mouse and keyboard are fine- but none of Apple's mice or keyboards are worth paying extra for. I would get yourself a good, third-part multi-button mouse and keyboard. Depending on your stance on the style vs. functionality debate, there are plenty of brands to chose from. Personally, I think Logitech makes very good mice and keyboards.
    -AppleIntelRock

7. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

microsoft is actually putting out some nice mice right now, though I hate the notion of using a wireless mouse with microsoft stamped across it.

8. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

9. mrmma macrumors member

On the other hand, I for one like my Mighty Mouse and keyboard. I use a MS mouse and keyboard at work and really like the elegance of the mac stuff when I get home. The feel and weight are just right, and the use of AA batteries is nice in my opinion because it reduces clutter (cable or charging dock etc...) I don't have any problems with right clicking, squeezing, or the like...

My recommendation is the same as was written above. Go to anywhere that sells Macs and play around with the mouse/keyboard. That's what I did and I really enjoyed the experience. The asthetics are a bonus.

10. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

See what I mean? There's all these mixed responses! I ought to go to the apple store...but I don't have one near me. And at Best Buy/other stores, they only have wired m/k. Do they behave the same way? I really like how it reduces clutter, but I'm worried that I won't be able to use my mouse to go back/forth on webpages. Is there a way to program the side buttons to go "back"?