Apple won't authorise debit card

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tek, Jan 16, 2004.

1. tek macrumors regular

Trying to place an order for a 12" powerbook + airport extreme card in the Apple UK Educational store.

I enter in correct VISA debit card details, expiry date etc. (100% sure), but it says something like "we could not authorise taking the funds from your bank. please try another card" ...great... i don't have another card

This card has worked countless times before on various shops (including apple's store last year), but isn't now :mad:

The account definately has enough money in it.

What i'm wondering about is this - from another online computer store, dabs.com:

Apple didn't ask for this number, only an "issue number, if applicable" which I don't have and is only 2 digits anyway.

Does anyone know why, or have any hints?

2. flahiker macrumors member

Is the expiration date this year? I had a problem with a debit card and the Cingular web site this week.

3. tek thread starter macrumors regular

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

do you have a daily limit your going over? don't mean to sound dumb here but do you have the cash in the account linked to your debit card?

i would try a phone order ...

5. 3-22 macrumors regular

Debit cards...

A lot of banks in the states have limits on debit/credit card purchases a day as someone else i think mentioned. I'm not sure what your spending, but for example mine is capped at $1,500US a day. Crime prevention and all that i guess...

6. tek thread starter macrumors regular

it's paid for a £8000 car before, so i don't think there's a limit. Account definately has enough funds.

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Re: Apple won't authorise debit card

The "security number" they mention is to verify that you are physicaly holding the card. If you look on the back of your card where you write your signature there is a number on that strip. It should be the same number on the front of your credit cards, but it should have an additonal set of numbers (usually three) at the end. When you make a purchase from the apple store, check your credit card information and you will see a field immediately to the right of where it asks for your card number. This is where the securtiy number goes.

Thats how it was for me, but I still got a call from Apple saying my transaction didn't go through when I got my iPod. Call your card company up and tell them to approve the transaction and when Apple tries it again it should work.

Hope you get your new toy soon! :)

8. tek thread starter macrumors regular

I found out what the problem was.

The bank is now running fraud checks on high value purchases.

The only problem is, I tried 3 times and now there are 3 orders listed :eek:

They all show up as "Cancelled", but is it 100% sure that no money will be charged?

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah its normally the bank running some checks, always call your bank to make sure ur card is clear before big purchases

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

thats good advice, something i would not have thought of,

tek i would call customer service and work this out over the phone, especially with the insane restocking fee if all 3 were to ship

11. mproud macrumors regular

You might try calling the number on the card as opposed to the bank. Many times, with debit cards with VISA, it's the people who work with the VISA who actually have control over it instead of the bank.

12. mproud macrumors regular

Also, I don't know your financial and living situation, if you're on your own - but it's always good to have more than one card - and to have a credit card on hand.