Apple Workgroup Server 80

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andypress, Nov 21, 2004.

1. andypress
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I know its probaly from a time before this site was ever conceived, but, I was wondering if this server would be capable of serving a small bussiness of about four people on wintel machines. They would be using it to back up Microsoft office files. If so, what software would I need, and what upgrades would be needed. The machine has an unknown backup drive, and has original hard drive and (i think)32mb of memory.

2. MoparShaha
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I don't think you want to try with this machine. It's got a 33 MHz processor, not to mention I doubt it can support SMB, which you'll need to allow Windows to connect. Of course, you could always try to install Linux, which would allow SMB, but it would be a pain. If cost is an issue, pick up a PC on eBay for $50-$60, something in the neighborhood of 200-300 MHz. This will be a much better solution, as it will natively support SMB, and will actually be able to handle the workload.

3. andypress
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors regular

I know that at my middle school they had a few of these for the whole school (1000+)up until a few years ago. What if I found an old version of AppleShare?

4. saabmp3
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Why back up and store data on a server which has a higher chance of dying when compared to the machines that are using it? Nobody in their right mind would spend a minute of their time working on that. Just use network drives on the PC's, it's better in all aspects.

BEN

5. CanadaRAM
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Apple Workgroup Server 80

The Appleshare versions that can run on this machine have some specific incompatibilities with any Windows more recent than 98. And there is a 2 Gb limit on volume sizes. And the machine is old and liable to fail without notice. And it is 10BaseT ethernet, not 100BaseT. You are asking for a bucket of grief.

Price out a network attached storage device like a Buffalo Linkstation http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=36&categoryid=16, or similar products from IOGear, Linksys and Tritton http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRINAS080.html. For $200 or a bit more you will have a tiny file server, plug and play, p'raps shared USB printer support, with a much larger hard drive than the WGS 80 can handle, tech support, less noise and power consumption by far, and a fresh new warranty.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

6. andypress
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking about nas's, but I'd rather have a computer that; theres just more that you can do with it. The problem is it has to be a name brand computer, otherwise the tech guy won't work on it(don't ask). I was just hoping that there was some life left in this thing.

7. cluthz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

cluthz

As a server for modern machines, no.
    You can still use it for a desktop.
    It was introduced in 1993 and discontiniued in 1994.

8. andypress
    Expand Collapse

I'm quite familiar with the history of early powermacs and powerpc's-I'm guessing that a WGS 6150 wouldn't fare much better?

9. Mechcozmo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Look around here...
    Linkety

10. cluthz
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes it would. The WGS 6150 can run upto OS 9.0 and then you can get a newer appleshare.