Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Jony Ive's reaction to this story :D

357rt74.jpg

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
That makes sense. Getting into the fray with 1920x1080 and cut-throat competition is suicidal for Apple, who always charges premium prices for their products.
That said, any 4k TV is a sight to behold.

utekineir

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Don't care about an actual apple TV.

Just put out a damn apple tv that doesn't suck and let the user chose what kind of screen they plug its hdmi cord into.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Screw this. My Blu Ray collection is the best quality I'll go to. Getting rid of all my DVDs and recollecting was a pain. I refuse to do it for another 25 years.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
A 4K TV might be amazing but without 4K content it is worthless.

Apple Marketing:
"Today we're announcing a feature called Facelift. It takes an ordinary 1080p frame and it enlarges the image using new algorithms we've invented, like the stuff you've seen on CSI. It works like magic. And boy have we patented it"

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
DigiTimes.

They may occasionally guess right by luck--we all do sometimes, since Apple is predictable at times--but their track record is one of pure fiction.

DigiTimes postings are not worth noting..

sparkso

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
A 4K TV might be amazing but without 4K content it is worthless.

Trust me, I've seen a demo one in Hong Kong made by Hitachi in one of the electronic stores, and I would have bought just to play the demo video just to show off.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Well there is so much love for Apple in my house. However this is one product I will have miss. As I firstly think my piggy bank cannot bank that kind of money, given the fact i just bought my second SonyHD TV. Secondly for TVs I prefer to stick with big names like Sony and Panasonic at the present moment. Not surprisingly their will be problems Apples new sets, do i hear image retention.

But this does open up exciting opportunities especially for consumers like me who are interested in investing their money in a desktop in the near future. As I bet Apple is holding out all their trump cards for a new retina iMac next year.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I've seen a 84" 4k TV going for less than $19000 here in Australia, I'm sure a smaller 50"-60" must be cheaper.

Could a 30" be the next model iMac in 2015? (I'd assume any 2014 iMac will be a spec update of the current design.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Well there is so much love for Apple in my house. However this is one product I will have miss. As I firstly think my piggy bank cannot bank that kind of money. Secondly for TVs I prefer to stick with big names like Sony at the present moment.

But this does open up exciting opportunities especially for those like me who are interested in investing their money in a desktop, I bet Apple is holding out all their trump cards for a new retina iMac next year.

The price of this kind of display panel is going to go down by 2014. I'd say the price of a good 4k HDTV could very well match the current price of top of the line 1080P displays being sold now.

That combined with the quality h.265 will offer should make this viable. The only thing holding this back is the content providers imho.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Considering Apple's entire contribution to content is to make things simple and easy at the expense of quality, I'm not sure what kind of content will be available for those TVs.

Apple's 1080p "HD" quality is a lower bitrate than the sound stream on a blue ray. And their HD looks like crap and sounds worse.

Why would anyone want to pay for more pixels for their poor quality content?

Much better to spend $2k on a high quality 1080p TV and blu-ray player and another $3k on a proper sound system than an Apple 4k screen with no decent content.

I wouldn't exactly say Apple has contributed lack of quality... the reality of current Internet speeds has done so. Apple would gladly sell super-high-bandwidth content if it were practical for most people to receive it. They have no reason not to.

In any case, an AppleTV (purely imaginary at the moment) would not be functionally equivalent to the setup you describe: it would do more.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I've seen a 84" 4k TV going for less than $19000 here in Australia, I'm sure a smaller 50"-60" must be cheaper.

Could a 30" be the next model iMac in 2015? (I'd assume any 2014 iMac will be a spec update of the current design.

lol like $9,000 dollars cheaper, a 4k TV at 50 inch would not retail less than $10,000.00 in Australia, if you can stomach that figure. Besides with no content why bother, a full HD will still serve you well until 4k content becomes more mainstream.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.