Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple Working on 4K 'Ultra HD' Television Set for Late 2013 or Early 2014 Launch?
No. Of cause not. The average person won't pay absurdly high prices for a TV when the best content quality we have is bluray 1080. The TV would need 4k content to make it worthwhile. Also 4k movies are like 160GB. We don't have a 160GB optical disc in existence. So you'd have to use some other form of media. And digital delivery will not work as the networks are not even close enough or cheap enough for that kind of data transfer.

Then we have a 2nd question. Would 1080 -> 4k even make a difference on a home TV. Would people even be able to see the difference? I guess people would not on a small home television screen.

4k at the moment the domain of the large screen cinema.

Lastly is the fact everyone still thinks the new TV is a television. I don't think it is. I think it's newer and newer TVs. In this business content is king. And getting it across is what Apple is trying to do. And possibly apps on the TV one day too. Or even iOS. I'm sure the folks at Apple read these kind of rumours and just laugh and go "haha people actually think we would work on this? Even though the reasons for us not working on it are so obvious an untrained monkey would realise it. Haha just so funny". The Apple employees would have a good laugh at you expense.
(your being rumour sites and others who actually believe rumours like this.) I don't believe it all. I realise Apple are not wanting to put something like this on sale any time soon. And for good reason too. If you all want to believe it, go head, live in your fantasy land, I'll stay in reality thanks.

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Apple Lisa proved one thing: extremely expensive things can be nice but no one buys them

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Tell your boss to allow subscription services.

Ala carte.

;)

I knew about the Viacom lawsuit.The only problem in this is the elephant not in the room.

Comcast Communications.

The FCC and DOJ should have never allowed Comcast to buy NBC/Universal.

Thankfully I'm not at NBCUniversal - a company imploding as we speak - Steve Burke - enough said.. Who puts a guy to run this empire with ZERO experience in charge? It's network recently was is FIFTH place during the feb sweeps.. disasterous. Embarrassing.. Now Leno's show is imploding... The cash cow The Today Show is imploding...and Cablevision made a bold move...

Time will prove that Comcasts marriage to NBCUni will be a big failure...just my take..

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Sony is releasing a 5000$ 50-55" 4k TV

But its quite pointless if you can believe this graph :

At a normal distance of 10+ feet you need a 80+" screen to be able to notice the extra resolution.

The only realy added effect would be for passive 3d, as this would allow for much higher resolution 3d images. Of course those dont excist and people dont care about 3d for the moment .

It just depends what chart you look at, this one says 4k only gets you 20" of pure retina at 10 feet.

47015717_1080vs4kvs8kvsmore.png

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Now I understand why the Australian government wasted billions of taxpayer dollars rolling out a highspeed internet service no one can afford. Future-proofing for the Apple TV, it all makes sense now. :rolleyes:

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Its great that they're making this ultra HD tv, but the problem is quite simple - whats the current advantage of TV like that without any real content? The only thing that'll look good on it are some HQ images and nothing more.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Another day, another dumb Apple rumor

1) No television content, and surprisingly little movie content is actually mastered at 4K. There is no 4K content.

2) If you go to the cinema and watch a Digital IMAX movie. That is 2K.

3) To get the benefit of 4K on a 46" screen, you need to sit three feet from the screen.

----------

Sony is releasing a 5000$ 50-55" 4k TV

But its quite pointless if you can believe this graph :

At a normal distance of 10+ feet you need a 80+" screen to be able to notice the extra resolution.

The only realy added effect would be for passive 3d, as this would allow for much higher resolution 3d images. Of course those dont excist and people dont care about 3d for the moment .

This.

A million times this.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Count me out. I'm really surprised so many people are all "that's a great idea!"

Ummm... No. Getting a really high resolution actually doesn't turn a crappy product into a great one. If the Apple TV is a success,
It'll be from an amazingly slick, intuitive, and easy UI coupled with great content.

I'm guessing that Apple might even have some kind of secret partnership with Valve to get amazing games for the Apple TV via Steam (has anyone else noticed that Valve isn't publicly working on anything right now? I suspect they started this when they ported Source and Steam to OS X...)

Aug 5, 2012
Does anyone else just want Apple to concentrate on the products they already make.

Tv's and watches are great but not at the cost of current specs and qulaity.

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
I wonder how they are going to get around the name of this tv in the UK because ITV is already taken, and has been for a long long time

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
1) No television content, and surprisingly little movie content is actually mastered at 4K. There is no 4K content.

There was no 1080p content when HDTV was first introduced. The playback device always comes before content is widely available.

2) If you go to the cinema and watch a Digital IMAX movie. That is 2K.

So?

3) To get the benefit of 4K on a 46" screen, you need to sit three feet from the screen.

Naw.

JarJarThomas

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
4k at the moment the domain of the large screen cinema.

And the truth is, even if it is displayed in 4k, it is created in 2k. Only a small subset of movies is done in 4k because it is way to expensive and no one sees the difference (unless it is imax)

----------

A company who couldn't put 720p on a 4" phone yet, making a 4K TV. Yeah right.

They could put fullhd on a phone. But you know what ? you wouldn't see the difference.
(read some screentests of htc one. Yes it is sharp .. well it is as sharp as an iphone5 screen. Users can't see a difference in sharpness. They only claim the colors are better on iphone)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.