Apple Working on Cheaper, Smaller iPhone and MobileMe Overhaul

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Old iPhone Nano concept design
    The Wall Street Journal seems to confirm an earlier Bloomberg report that Apple is working on a smaller, cheaper version of the iPhone due this summer:
    The previous Bloomberg report claimed the price of the smaller iPhone would be $200 without contract, opening the door to the phone possibly being discounted to free with contract. The iPhone Nano rumor has been circulating for years with various case designs and enclosures suggesting at least prototype work had been done on it over the years.

Next, The Wall Street Journal claims that Apple is also working to revamp its MobileMe service. Apple is reportedly considering making MobileMe a free service. The new free service could serve as a digital "locker" for photos and video, or become the focal point for online music.

Both the new smaller iPhone and revamped MobileMe service are expected this summer.

Article Link: Apple Working on Cheaper, Smaller iPhone and MobileMe Overhaul
  2. macrumors demi-god

Jun 2, 2007
    The post is coming from inside the house!
    I still find this (old) rumor a little hard to believe. But, with retina-class displays, they can fit more pixels into smaller screens.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    Interesting. But I don't see how an iPhone Nano would be possible from the application compatibility perspective. If they make the screen smaller, everything on the screen would be too small to tap.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 16, 2011
    Well, if The Wall Street Journal says it.........
  5. macrumors 6502a

louis Fashion

Jan 22, 2010
    Arizona, USA
    me me mobile me

OOOooo will mobile me be free?
  6. macrumors member

Oct 4, 2009
    Near London, England
    I know this is still speculation but if it did happen it would be the ideal phone for me. What i need is phone that is relatively cheap, pay as you go and with a good interface. This would offer all of that :)
  7. macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2008
    MobileMe should be free with purchase of a qualifying Apple product. Simple!

Right now I don't even use my MobileMe email because Gmail is free and I don't want to get tied down with address just in case I don't feel like renewing.
  8. macrumors 601

Oct 24, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    I hope the dumb schmucks like myself who paid up can get a pro rata refund :'(.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2010
    I find it hard to believe as well. One thing that I think is that if there is in fact a smaller iPhone, that that iPhone would not have some of the features that the current iPhone 4 and future iphone 5 have. Perhaps no facetime?

The thing is, it seems Apple usually makes their older iphone cheaper, based on what they did with the iPhone 3Gs. So, if they continue that trend, the iPhone 4 should become $99. If that is the case, why would they make a smaller iPhone?
  10. macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2009
    Kentucky, USA
    I don't see an iPhone nano coming, I don't know who would want it (same with that new HP phone) but MobileMe for free? And better? Sounds good! It would be a good selling point for iPhones/iPads/iPods, if they make it more reliable. Can't wait to see what Apple comes up with next!! :apple::apple::apple:
    Who thinks iPhone V sounds good? I do.
  11. macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Why? Makes sense in this stage of the product cycle. The iPhone as a product line is already 4 years old. Smartphone sales are still a fraction of overall mobile phone sales. There's clearly a lot of untapped revenues for smartphones. An "iPhone nano" could reel in people with its lower pricepoint and more compact design. That's probably also what HP is trying to do with its new Veer.
  12. macrumors 68000

Feb 26, 2008
    Why won't an iPhone nano happen? Keyboard.

If it had a sliding physical kb, then game on.
  13. macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2009
    No thanks on a smaller iPhone. But free MobileMe? Yes, please!
  14. macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2006
    I would buy one

I would consider buying one. I have thought about not keeping my iphone (3g) when I renew my contract, because I have my iPad just about wherever I go.

If Apple had a more affordable alternative, I might go for it.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2010
    I'd hate a slide out keyboard.
  16. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Hey Apple, you know what would be truly revolutionary? Figure out a way to get mobile carriers to let us do away with the contracts altogether (you know, like you did with the iPad).

In Canada we need to sign 36-month contracts for smart phones, and that has been a major factor in why I don't yet have one.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2010
    Either Apple won't do it, or they'll make it ridiculously awesome.
  18. macrumors regular

Jun 8, 2009
    Kentucky, USA
    it's better than a microscopic on-screen keyboard
    the current iPhone keyboard is great and, I think, as usable as any physical keyboard, but it's as small as it can get
  19. macrumors 65816

Apr 4, 2003
    Really can't figure out where a smaller iPhone would fit in the product line-up... you don't really hear anyone complaining about the size of the iPhone 4, and if there's a new iPhone this summer, they can keep the current iPhone on as the low-cost option, as they have always done. A smaller phone would introduce a lot of fragmentation into the App store, as you'll likely have different resolutions, hardware specs, etc, on current-gen devices. A smaller screen with the same resolution would make for UI problems (much as a 7" iPad would), and why would it be cheaper just because it's smaller? If anything, it'll use more expensive components to get the size down. I just don't buy this one, even from the WSJ.
  20. macrumors 65816

May 20, 2003
    With Retina-class displays, number of pixels is irrelevant. The physical size of the screen and the elements on it are.
  21. macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If Apple is the only carrier pushing for that change they'll laugh right in Apple's face.
  22. macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i can see a lot of people wanting a smaller iPhone. for me it's a no because i use the iPhone next to talking mostly for internet/googlemaps/GPS and this would be quite bad on a smaller screen.

I'd rather take my card out and pop it into a small robust phone while biking/skiing or other sports. but then apple is thinking about a proprietory built in sim card. that would suck then....
  23. macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2002
    Green and pleasant land
    I'd consider an iPhone nano. I'm using my iPad more for app use, so my phone use has become lighter. I'd seriously consider a smaller model.
  24. macrumors demi-god

Jun 2, 2007
    The post is coming from inside the house!
    As was mentioned up-thread, taking last year's hardware and deeply discounting it gets the price down (for the hardware). What I think Apple should be looking at, if they are, is building a smaller iPhone to run on less-expensive networks. If you want iPhone 5 (or, I guess 4), you're on AT&T or Verizon (in the US). Send iPhone Nano to Sprint and its MVNOs.

I'm an Apple purist, but if I was platform-agnostic, I'd be looking at the LG Optimus V on Virgin Mobile. $150 hardware and $25 per month for unlimited data and texts. And 300 minutes of talk-time. That's the market Apple should be shooting for. And maybe this is there way of doing that.
  25. macrumors 65816

May 20, 2003
    You've failed to state why it should be free. Gmail is not free - gmail costs your data and contacts being used to advertise to you. Apple does not do this. But if you're ok with that, then use GMail and stop caring about Mobile Me.

Sure, we'd all like free stuff from Apple, but come on - why would a business give you value-added service for free?