Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It amazes me how common kernel panics are on a closed platform..

I'm not sure I'd call OS X a closed platform. Third-party developers can write applications that utilize all but core OS X files and even those can be edited if you disable rootless.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yeah but it's not like windows were you have 10000s of hardware combinations and I can't remember getting a BSD on my windows boxes in the last 5 years but I've have maybe a dozen KPs in 18months on the macs..

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
If this is a firewall blocking issue, wouldn't just adding the app to to the firewall and "allow incoming connections" be sufficient as well then?

"hey are working on a fix, but I don't know when they will roll that out"

Probably because i twill *never be out*... Since 10.9.5 is not updated much anymore, and knowing Apple they'll probably just ask those affected to upgrade to 10.10 or later..

Apple is not known for backward compatibility unless Microsoft.

I'd call OS X a "closed" platform simply because u cannot get drivers from just any company, it must come from Apple.

Ishayu

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2012
Denmark
Yeah but it's not like windows were you have 10000s of hardware combinations and I can't remember getting a BSD on my windows boxes in the last 5 years but I've have maybe a dozen KPs in 18months on the macs..
Dude, I've gotten the equivalent of BSOD's on XBox One.

Modern kernels are really complicated. Even Apple's. OS X actually has support for as much hardware as Windows does out of the box; Apple just chooses not to leverage this. Try asking the Hackintosh community about that. ;) 99% of the time when something doesn't work it's because they need to change some configuration file somewhere. Often it's a 5-6 liner in a terminal and poof, everything's working fine. The only major problem is issuing machine ID's that iMessage trusts, and that really seems more like a certificate issue than anything else.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007

That's strange, I can't remember the last time I saw a Kernel Panic and I deal with many Macs a day.

This Kernel Panic related to Spotify I have never seen, but I also don't have the built-in FireWall enabled. Do you guys have this enabled? My impression is that the firewall in the routers is enough. At the same time it's of course difficult to know how that's set up when connecting to an unknown network.

b1wils1

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
SoCal
This just happened to me for the first time yesterday. Freaked me out; thought I was losing everything.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I was assuming it was my video card causing my kernel panics. But I will go with this option instead.

davemchine

macrumors member
May 7, 2015
A perfectly-designed OS should never kernel panic at all because of malfunctioning third-party software. There are surely bugs to fix at both Apple and Spotify.

Agreed on that last sentence, though.

No kidding! I can't believe that a program can take down the OS in 2016. It's ridiculous.

Reactions: AFEPPL

Razer(x)

macrumors regular
May 7, 2014
I'm also having an EXTREME cpu usage with latest version, spotify helper uses 100% of the cpu

krislinus

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
This is incredibly annoying! Happens very often when I start the Spotify app on my OS X El Capitan. Black screen - shutdown - kernel panic!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.