Apple Working on Improved Exchange Support for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Appleinsider points out a job listing from Apple which seeks a "motivated, highly-technical Exchange test/sync engineer."

The focus of the job will be testing Exchange and Outlook functionality with Apple's iPhone.

The rumor site speculates that this could mean that Apple is working to deliver support for ActiveSync, allowing iPhone synchronization with email, calendar items and contacts with Exchange servers.

Article Link

2. macrumors member

Apple should have been working on this from Day One. I love my iPhone, and I don't have any trouble using its e-mail with my Exchange Server, but synchronizing contacts and calendar items through Address Book and iCal is problematic. I frequently run into problems with items not being synchronized, or duplicate items being created, especially in my calendar. And of course, those items can only be synchronized when I dock, not wirelessly.

3. macrumors member

I knew this was coming. This most likely will be available for the current phones. Hopefully within the next few months. About time Apple.

4. macrumors 6502

Ditto- I once duplicated every item on my calendar. Even worse, when I tried to delete the second set, iCal gave me choices: cancel or notify everyone that meetings are cancelled. Imagine that- my boss would have gotten hundreds of cancelation notices of meetings that had happened years ago. I had to delete them individually from my outlook- it took hours.

So if this is true, is it something we'd have to pay extra for?

5. macrumors 6502

If you look at the required skills section for the actual ad:

It actually seems as though the job is more orientated to assist in the sync between a windows pc and an iphone, not for activesync. Knowledge of Mac OS X is under "perferred experience".

Oh well...In actuallity, if this were really an ad for someone to work with ActiveSync, it would actually be sort of disappointing. The iphone's been out for months now- they've only now gotten around to posting a help wanted ad for one guy to start working on getting activesync working? It would be bad news as I would see it.

6. macrumors newbie

Yes Apple!

This would be AWESOME if this was released/announced at Macworld! I have been fighting sync/duplicate/Entourage issues since my customers have been using Entourage/iPhones.
    (and others).

Wifi/edge syncing would be the fix to ALOT of problems we see with Mac/Entourage/iPhone users.

Will
    www.wsellers.com
    www.bootandreboot.com

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 6502a

Some_Big_Spoon

Crikey, I hope so. I use my iPhone for work, but it's such an incredible pain to not have calendars, contacts, etc. Add that, and my entire company will buy them.

9. macrumors member

So how do you get it to work with your company's exchange server? I can use Apple mail with ours when I'm on the network no problem, or when I'm vpn'd in but that or webmail requires an RSA secureID code.

So what's the trick (and no, I can't get the IT guys to make changes to the exchange server..company is WAY to big for that).

10. macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. Though my company is small, they'll never change/tinker with it.

11. macrumors newbie

gschumsky--- The main problem that I have with Entourage is that it does't use a MAPI connection---- like Outlook. Entourage uses IMAP/OWA-- which works---but there are issues.

To get your company to make it work, you have to make them enable IMAP on Exchange---possibly open those ports on their firewall... Here is a link to a Microsoft doc that explains how to configure exchange: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...cc-5cd5fde04e97/WorkingWithExchangeServer.pdf
    Look at page 31 and 32.

Here is another good link: http://search.techrepublic.com.com/...crosoft+Office+and+Microsoft+Office+2004.html
    PST IMPORT TOOL....yah.

I really think that when Office 2008 comes "officially" out, we'll see big improvements---- at least possibly good support from Microsoft.

Also--- check this out: http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/remove_duplicates/
    You may eventually run in to DUPLICATES in calendar/contact entries. It's not free...but looks nice... for now, I've just been battling by hand.

wsellers.

12. macrumors newbie

WHY, OH WHY---can't there just be OUTLOOK for the Mac?!?!? Get rid of IMAP/OWA connection type----and just use good ol'MAPI.... This would solve SOOOO many issues.

wsellers

13. macrumors regular

Mr. Zorg

Hallelujah! Here's hoping they apply what they learn to Mail.app and iCal.app as well. That would be the clincher for a lot more business Mac adoption...

14. macrumors 6502

I agree- it seems really strange that there is no outlook-like connection. I am assuming that it must be really difficult to do? If it were easy, why wouldn't they have done it already?

I think that the fact that both Mail.app and Entourage on the Mac don't support an outlook-like connection, it isn't likely that one would pop up for iphone before the mac itself.

15. macrumors 6502

I hope so too, but so far they haven't mentioned it in their Office preview nor in the blog.

Thanks for the heads up!

16. macrumors member

Yeah, not happening in Mega Conglomerate Corp. where I work. Security changes take nothing less then an act of God, unless of course the CEO,maybe, MAYBE, gets an iPhone and dumps his Blackberry.

Though I can have Outlook redirect my mail to my personal account...that's a start.

17. macrumors member

I can't even forward my outlook to my gmail account. I have tried to set up rules to do this but my company finds a way to block it. It's ridiculous. If anyone knows a way around this it would be much appreciated. I hope our CEO gets one too haha.

18. macrumors 68020

pilotError

I was under the impression there was a 3rd party provider that was supposed to do this. I assume a vendor who already has the license agreement with Microsoft...

19. macrumors regular

Mr. Zorg

There is. Snerdware. As a longtime user their groupcal, I can tell you it's less than perfect. It often gets confused and I wind up having to clean my iCal and sync from scratch. Even at that, there are some meeting invites it just won't handle right. Based on my conversations with their tech support, it does NOT use ActiveSync -- to expensive to license. But, it's pretty much your only real option.

20. macrumors newbie

Because Microsoft are moving away from MAPI on Windows too. Both MAPI and public folders will be history soon.

21. macrumors newbie

Has anyone tested the iPhone with a citrix presentation server ? Even the Java version of it . My corporate network has a policy of only allowing Citrix connections . From the point of view of a web rich phone accessing this I should be able to have full access ( Via Citrix) to my corporate apps , with absolute security . Both ends ( phone and Corporate IT) should be happy with this model.

I suspect that this might be the reason iPhone hasn't really supported exchange as a secure virtual connection to something like citrix is far better from the point of view of a remote device. On a link back to a Mac network this would be " Back to My Mac " Makes tons more sense than having fellows syncing mail off servers to little pocket devices, As long as unlimited data plans are in place and High network availability.

22. macrumors 65816

There was a full blown MAPI Outlook for the Mac- Outlook 2001... I guess it was too hard to port that to OS X or to include the functionality in Entourage... It's like the Exchange team refused to give the code to the Mac Business Unit ;)

I'm sure there were some technical issues involved in converting it over- but it was funny to read things like "We put in the features our customers wanted most" into Entourage... The #1 requested feature must've been "We want a 3rd class Exchange client!"

23. Guest

liberty4all

Better yet have M$ stop using MAPI altogether and more to standards for Outlook, including on Windoze.

24. macrumors regular

FunkyJunk

Don't you have to have a Citrix client in order to connect? Since the iPhone currently doesn't allow 3rd-party software (officially), does such a client even exist?

25. macrumors newbie