Apple Working on Multi-Touch Mac?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

An Apple Job listing (noted on Engadget) reveals that Apple is indeed working on multi-touch Mac hardware.

They are looking for a reliability engineer supporting Multi-touch panel development with Mac and iPod hardware groups. The job itself seems to involve high level quality assurance testing, but the involvement of the Mac hardware group seems to confirm that Apple is working to incorporate multi-touch technologies into future Macs.

This progression has been widely expected since the iPhone was first released, but this is the first (possible) indication from Apple.

9to5mac had previously suggested that the Apple sub-notebook might incorporate some of these features, but no further details have become available, so the timeframe for this integration remains speculative.

Article Link

2. Retired

psychofreak

I'm desperate to try this out, assuming its coming :)

Up until now, all the touch devices (bar the iPhone) I've used have been rubbish, and I think Apple are the people to change that...Jeff Han has shown me that multitouch on a big scale can be awesome...

3. macrumors 6502a

I don't see the point of incorporating multi-touch in computers unless it's a tablet. The use of a mouse and keyboard are MUCH more efficient and productive than touching around all over the place and moving your arms. I never quite got the tablet fascination with some people....but there is a market for that and that is the only way I see multi touch being implemented by Apple....

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

A yawn for me.

It's interesting but not a sale for me.

Sate the masses Apple.

5. macrumors 68000

6. macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Apple have released an iPhone and iPod Touch that use touch screen technology it just stands to reason that the next logical move would to incorporate this into their computer line somehow.

If an iPhone is the next logical step for the iPod to go in then I think we will eventually see a touch screen Mac.

7. macrumors P6

~Shard~

I think ithis is very cool news, and a logical progression for the personal computing industry. Why use external devices such as mice and keyboards when you can use your own digits?

For anyone who hasn't seen it, here is the Han demo of multi-touch technology on a larger scale. :cool:

8. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

There's been a great deal of interest in a tablet Apple for MacWorld. This article would suggest that the tablet form-factor is more likely for June at the earliest. Additionally, why would I invest in a tablet when this position will produce a much more comprehensive device? Did Apple intend to develop this product internally and fail?

9. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, that sounds like a potential "Thread 500"-ish quote to me too... :p :D :cool:

10. macrumors newbie

ooo intersting but I want a new MacBook nowwwwww!

or maybe the rumor smaller macbook

11. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I believe it was directed at me.

Then again I don't expect anyone to have a memory like mine.

12. macrumors 68020

This is news? It's inconceivable to me that Apple wouldn't be working on a multi-touch interface. I'll bet they have several other interface projects on their R&D plate too.

13. macrumors newbie

Before they make anything new again, hire more developers to make the Leopard to become stable... PLEASE... :mad:

14. macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Now they're putting those $15 billion to work!

15. macrumors regular

16. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is too obvious not to happen. The touch interface on the iPhone and the iPod are stealth attacks on the public's expectations for a user interface. Integrating Coverflow into Leopard's Finder was no accident. Clearly, this is the direction Apple is headed.

17. macrumors 68020

Wow, I never thought I would see this coming.:rolleyes:

18. macrumors 6502a

lol, don't you just love how every few weeks theres the same old rumor stating that probably eventually apple is definitely eventually maybe gonna work on a touch-screen mac and/or it will may be eventually released :p

19. macrumors G4

What if the trackpad on the typical notebook computer were replace with an iTouch screen?
    You would not be doing multi-touch on a 30 inch ACD screen. On the desktop you could have a small tablet, like what Wacom makes and it could replace the mouse.

Actually being left handed. I can write with my left hand using the wacom pen and use the mouse with my right hand. All current macs already allow you to have both working at once.

20. macrumors regular

You could replace "touch-screen mac" with "some incredibly awesome advanced hi-tech feature and/or product" ;)

21. macrumors 6502

IAWTP. HP offered a touch-based computer around this time last year, and it was really cool for about five minutes, then most people using it went back to using the kb+mouse to get any serious work done. My main complaint about Tablet PCs is that the hinge that allows the screen to swivel around always seems to be an expensive accident waiting to happen. For this reason, I am hoping that Apple has another solution in mind besides an Apple-Brand tablet, competing with the likes of Toshiba and Lenovo.

I'm not totally dismissing the concept. As I've said before, I'd be very interested in a PDA-type device that would give me Wifi and Word in my pocket. So far, this hasn't been ruled out as a possibility. But, if the screen size is anything more than 10", I might as well get a Macbook.

22. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Hmmm, never struck me as a marketing ploy. I think you hit the nail on the head here.

23. macrumors P6

Peace

Multi-Touch is the future.. Earlier this year I speculated on a device that sits in a dock on your coffee table.It disconnects from the dock and can be placed on a wall or in your shop.Email,photos,video conferencing etc. The potential is endless.

24. macrumors 6502

Finally

maybe we'll finally get an alternative to windows and folders!!!!!!

fooey to that

25. macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Great... more garbage rumors about a Mac Multi-touch computer and just as bad mockups by Photoshop beginners.

Hopefully Apple will be able to replace that Mighty Mouse with something more practical, or at least a mouse that can allow me to right click while my finger is still on the left click button.