Apple Working on Original Television Series About Apps

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 24, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working with and TV executives Ben Silverman and Howard T. Owens on a new non-scripted television show that will "spotlight the app economy," reports The New York Times. There are no details on the television show beyond the App Store premise, so it is not clear what format episodes will take.

Apple executives have not made details like title, timeline, storylines, or episode length public, and there is no information on where the show will be promoted. Given that it's focused on the App Store, it could be made available through an app, shown through the App Store itself, or be made available as a standard television show on iTunes.

The App Store series was conceived by Ben Silverman, who presented the idea to Apple. Silverman is an executive producer on shows like Jane the Virgin, The Biggest Loser, Marco Polo, and Flaked.

In an interview with The New York Times, Apple iTunes chief Eddy Cue cautioned that the show is not a signal that Apple will be delving deeper into original television and streaming video, despite rumors last year suggesting the company was meeting with Hollywood executives to make a big push into original programming.
    Along with its television show focused on apps, Apple is also creating a television series called Vital Signs that will star Beats co-founder and Apple executive Dr. Dre. Described as a dark semi-autobiographical drama, Vital Signs will be used to promote the Apple Music streaming service, much like this new television show will promote the App Store.

Article Link: Apple Working on Original Television Series About Apps
  2. Asarien macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
  3. freepomme macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2015
    Boston, MA
  4. B.K., Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

B.K. macrumors newbie

Sep 5, 2014
    When will Apple realize that these pop-star collaborations are terrible products, and business decisions?
  5. gaximus macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2011
    Their first TV series will be the most boring TV Series of all time.
  6. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

Mar 10, 2007
    Kassel, Germany
    Okay okay, I totally understand what many people will likely comment and I can't knock you guys for that.
    I feel like this sounds like a slightly boring TV Show to watch as well, but really ANYTHING Apple tries to do to make discovery of apps better and spotlight actually interesting apps is very welcome in my books.

Glassed Silver:mac
  7. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

May 31, 2015
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    Talk about awkward, with his smartwatch and all...
  8. avanpelt macrumors 68000

Jun 2, 2010
    A TV show about apps? How about a decent, Apple-built app that lets me watch all the TV shows I want within a few hours after the air on live TV? I'll even pay you every month for such a service, Apple.
  9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    A want to see a comedy with gaming on a Mac and another gaming on a PC and the adventures they share.
  10. yaxomoxay macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2010
    as long as it's well done, any subject works.
    See Parks and Recreation
  11. LordBeelzebub macrumors regular

Aug 22, 2013
    That the best Apple can come up with? WOW!
  12. BSben macrumors 6502a

May 16, 2012
    #12 What is wrong with Apple? A man with no talent (does anyone remember the hideous iPhone camera he designed) making a tedious tv show about apps. I would rather burn my telly than watch that rubbish, and please don't even get me started on Dr. Dre.
  13. Asarien macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Apple didn't come up with it.
  14. macduke macrumors 603

Jun 27, 2007
    Central U.S.
    I understand a documentary, but I'm not sure how this could be a recurring TV series? The app design and development process fascinates me, and it's a part of my daily work. There can be a lot of push and pull back and forth from different parties involved. Most of the drama I've seen usually involves contracted work, haha. And within the startup environment (of which I am not involved but through friends) there are bound to be some interesting stories about companies competing to be the first one to release a new app idea that they know someone else is working on. But I doubt most people would find this to be interesting television.
  15. Mr. Dee macrumors 6502a

Mr. Dee

Dec 4, 2003
  16. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2007
    Derbyshire, England
    Will I. Am already haunts our screens in the UK on The Voice so it's only fair you lot have your share too :)
  17. ronntaylor macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Flushing/Queens, New York
    Before the idea is finalized, before a single episode has aired and people are already negative nellys. Wow.

Apple has nothing to lose and everything to gain in trying something new and outside its comfort zone.
  18. Rogifan macrumors P6

Nov 14, 2011
  19. Kaibelf macrumors 65816

Apr 29, 2009
    Chicago, IL
  20. samcraig macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    Get rid of iAds - instead produce long form commercials for apps.
  21. dstud208 macrumors member

Mar 14, 2013
    I imagine it wouldn't be a tv show about finding cool apps on the App Store, but more like a series of mini documentaries on various apps, how they were conceived, stuggles, etc. I wouldn't watch all of then, but I would find it pretty fascinating every now and again. I would love to see the early evolution of Siri.
  22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    so in other words its a giant product placement ad....

at least it's not Kayne
  23. Thunderhawks macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2009
    Better than:

Game Center Reality Shoot Out

With a bracket set up.

Detroit vs. Miami
    Oakland vs. Stockton
    Flint vs. Buffalo
    Memphis vs. New Haven
    St.Louis vs. Indianapolis
    Cleveland vs. Newark
    Little Rock vs. Kansas City
    Baltimore vs. Washington DC
    Milwaukee vs. Atlanta
    Rockford vs. Birmingham

There's probably an app for it like UFC, where you can trade bad dudes etc..
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2016 ---
    Yes, we are not always comfortable with what Apple does.
  24. CFreymarc Suspended

Sep 4, 2009
    #25 is not new to the valley. He has several tech investments in action already. My favorite story about the guy is he was working late in Campbell (the Pruneyard for you locals) and decided to go out for a drink. He walked toward one bar in downtown Campbell, the bouncer stopped him at the door saying, "You look like a lot of trouble and that is the worst poser outfit I ever saw." and was sent away. Instead of a scene, he just went to a nearby bar. I think he blogged about it.