Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNET reports that Apple has officially acknowledged problems with some 500 GB, 7200 rpm MacBook Pro hard drives and promised that a software fix to address the issue is on the way, although no timeframe for a release of the update has been given.
"We are aware of the issue and are working on a software update," Apple representative Bill Evans, told CNET News on Monday. He gave no time frame for the release of the software update.
Users of the drives have been reporting for several months that their drives periodically make a "beeping" noise that is frequently accompanied by brief freezes of their systems.

A representative from Other World Computing reported to MacNN as the issue was first gaining attention that the beeping was likely stemming from the G-Force anti-shock protection mechanism found in the Seagate Momentus drives used by Apple, a feature which is essentially redundant to Apple's own Sudden Motion Sensor technology included in its notebook computers.
A member of storage maker Other World Computing observes that the issue may be with Seagate's Momentus 7200.4 G-Force hard drives, which in the case of MacBook Pros may be creating a conflict. Affected units are said to spin up and down frequently, which may be generating the sounds reported by users. Beyond hurting access times, the behavior could pose a risk to the lifespan of a drive by producing unnecessary strain. The G-Force technology is said to be mostly irrelevant on Macs in the first place, as a result of pre-existing anti-shock protection.

Article Link: Apple Working on Software Update for MacBook Pro Hard Drive Issues

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
I don't think it's limited to the Seagate drive. I have the Hitachi 320GB 7200 RPM model in my 2009 MBP and I get the hard drive clicking and occasional beep.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
There's a model of the Seagate Momentus *without* the G-force protection. I can't believe Apple used the G-force version. The software update probably disables that then.

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Hahaha, I had a 17" DOA'd because of constant lockups (in addition to a dead Airport though.

Interesting.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Hmmm, my brand new (week old) 17" with the 7200 rpm 500 GB HD freezes for short bits quite often, especially when using iPhoto. I wonder if this will solve it.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't get the beeping noise, but my computer does freeze up for about ten to twenty seconds every once in a while for absolutely no reason. Hopefully this fixes that...

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I don't get the beeping noise, but my computer does freeze up for about ten to twenty seconds every once in a while for absolutely no reason. Hopefully this fixes that...

Ah, yeah, forgot to mention that mine also lacks the beeps when it does it.

stokessd

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
It's the seagate drive

There's lots of threads on Dell and Asus machines with the same problem. It's a seagate firmware problem, I'd bet my lunch on it.

They eff up the firmware all the time these days, makes me wonder if they know what they are doing.

Sheldon

Typhoid_Mary

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2004
%$#@%!

And I thought it was me...

Just bought a new 7200.4 a week ago. Froze my MBP, then wouldn't work with my original 7200... so I swapped em out again and broke the darn cable...

Judge Milian, here I come :D

killersi

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
I have a 320 WD Black Scorpio in mine and could not be happier. I do not have any problems.

If you are looking to upgrade then I would recommend this drive.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think SSDs make a world of sense for speed and less chance for moving parts causing problems. We need SSD manufacturers to hurry with continual improvements and mass production. One would think if Apple just bit the bullet and included an SSD standard in every notebook it made the prices would drop considerably. SSDs really make a world of sense; it's just too bad they're not quite affordable enough yet. Will be nice when the "upgrades" are from one SSD (Samsung) to another bigger faster SSD (Intel). The SSD in my MBA may not be top of the line, but it makes a world of difference over HDDs!

Best of luck to all of you who have problematic HDDs.

tommyGB

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2009
Im going to be buying a MBP in the very near future and getting one of those drives (7200) was on my list. Now im not so sure. Do u think i shud go ahead n buy the 7200 or get the slower bt more reliable version. Will be buying in about 4 weeks times.

Many thanks

Tom

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
TOTALLY makes sense. When I upgraded my MBPs drive to a 500GB Seagate, I got one with a Sudden Motion Sensor (two different models actually) and didn't realize it was something that was also in the logic board. Had to baby the system or it would lock up. Figured out how to disable to built-in sensor and haven't had a single problem since.

reu214

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
SuperDuper

I am actually using superduper to clone my old drive to the 500GB 7200.4 at th this very F*#@ing moment.

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
Absolutely unbelieveable. I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 7200RPM 500GB hard drive when the drive that came with my late '08 MacBook died.

At the time I read up on the drive I was purchasing and deliberately selected the model without the sudden shock protection - specifically because there were known issues with this conflict.

How can multi-billion-pound company Apple allow such a product to work through QA when a 10 minute search on the internet reveals the problem?

The only logical conclusion is they must have been aware of this issue and chosen to include these drives anyway... When I ordered my drive there was a major shortage (at least in the UK) - took me a couple of weeks to source a drive unit, so perhaps they knowingly allowed this due to supply shortages of the other type of drive?

Does anyone know if all 7200rpm 500GB drives used in MacPros have the sudden motion detector, or just some?

ast03

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
Im going to be buying a MBP in the very near future and getting one of those drives (7200) was on my list. Now im not so sure. Do u think i shud go ahead n buy the 7200 or get the slower bt more reliable version. Will be buying in about 4 weeks times.

Many thanks

Tom

go for it.. i have a 500gb, 7200rpm 15" mbp and have no problems, i got it the day it was released and not a single complaint..

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Yes I would like to know why they chose to ship G-Force drives in these systems too. At this point, I have no confidence they will actually be able to fix the problem in a firmware update.

Bottom line is this blows away the myth you get a premium product without all the headaches associated with owning Windows machines with OEM support.

AppleCare has been completely useless in helping solve this problem. They have refused to acknowledge there is any kind of problem until today, only after media probing. Every time you call they tell you they have never heard of this problem before. And the system freezes are by design. :)

Give me Dell support every time over these CrappleCare nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.