Apple working on V.O.I.P?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neildmitchell, May 23, 2005.

1. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

V.O.I.P ( Voice Over Internet Protocol )

What is the likelyhood that Apple is working on VOIP?
    Will we see Apple partner with a company such as Cisco for VOIP?
    How about a more robust Airport and Airport card for handeling VOIP?
    When could we possible see this become reality?
    Will it be a new .mac feature? Will we see a new Apple VOIP phone?

The technology already exsists, Cisco has had it for some time now, now Vonage is tryng to get it to the average consumer.

There is already technology for people to make calls to check their emails and have their emails read back to them using digitized voices ( like how you can have your Mac can read a loud what you have written in a text document, or announce the time )

Will Apple increase their marketshare through VOIP?

2. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

It is possible but i doubt it will be a marketshare helper.
    Apple already use a variation of the SIP protocol on iChat AV for initiating a voice or video chat - i expect it still does for compatiblilty with older versions and will for some time until they invent a better way.

Cisco are definetly the leaders in VoIP currently although their systems use custom protocols and dont connect well to other platforms such as Sip, Asterisk or skypee, they are reliable and convenient for businesses

I have a Cisco 7960 on my desk this second and would prefer to use that instead of waking my imac to make a call.

its unlikely apple will become a Voip service provider (although a voice service could be added to .Mac accounts and you purchase talk time using your apple id)

advancing iChat video conferencing is what apple should concentrate on for now as far as IP communications go, a windows version would help in this a great deal.

bye

3. mike czech macrumors member

I would love to see that. IMO, this would be a great end-run around cel phone providers and ultimately be the end of cel phones as we know them. Imagine an iPod sized device with a good size HD, WiFi for VoIP, Bluetooth for fast syncing and BT keyboard data entry, built-in voice dialing etc... IT would rarely have to leave your pocket / backpack / etc. - you could have a small remote attached to your headphones / earpiece to control basic features, and your headphones would have a mic for phone use. With WiFi becoming more ubiquitous, cel towers are quickly becoming dinosaurs. Who wants crappy cel service (I STILL can't get good all-around service here in San Diego from ANY provider) when you can have it all - voice, blazing fast internet (compared to GPRS or EDGE) and a large HD with the capacity for basic office apps and games for those who still like to play with their phones.