Apple Working to Expand Siri's Third-Party App Integration for iWatch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 5, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    As Apple continues work on its much-rumored iWatch, the company is placing a significant focus on expanding Siri's ability to interface with third-party apps, according to a report from The Information summarized by TechCrunch.

With input methods for the iWatch limited due to the device's size, Siri's voice capabilities may be one of the best tools for Apple to leverage, and that means improving Siri's capabilities.
    The report also claims that Apple is working on technology to dynamically adjust what content is being shown on a device's display, offering the example of a running app automatically being shown when the user begins jogging. The technology would obviously be useful for a device such as the iWatch with very limited display size and input capabilities.

Apple has been rumored for several years to be working on a smart watch project, with the company reportedly placing a strong focus on biometrics to include health-related data tracking for the iOS ecosystem.

Article Link: Apple Working to Expand Siri's Third-Party App Integration for iWatch

2. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

Where do the latest rumors pin the iwatch release date? Is it suppose to launch with the iphone 6 or earlier?

3. Guest

Sky Blue

4. macrumors 6502a

Please bring on more languages before doing that POS watch.

5. macrumors 6502

Siri support for Nest & Hue would be very welcome!

6. macrumors regular

Rumors point to an iWatch being released before the new iPhone 6.

7. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

not to derail the thread, but the pebble has a great Hue app :)

8. AngerDanger, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Hmm, it could even integrate with the iPhone and open up specific, fun webpages in Safari when the watch starts violently shaking.

9. macrumors member

I haven't worn a watch in about 20 years or so! But I may just get myself a new one on <some rumored released date>. :)

10. macrumors 65816

11. macrumors 68030

Popeye206

Wake me up when the announcement is here… Time for something real.

12. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

I'll just leave this here.

[​IMG]

Quit copying, Apple! Dick Tracy did it first! /S

13. macrumors 6502a

Lepton

Even the simplest integration would be helpful for iWatch, CarPlay, and on the phone itself! Something like saying "Tell <app> to <spoken text>" could open a URI like "<app>:///<spoken text>". More of an API would be great, but just this very simple API would be plenty to do a zillion useful things. An app can already do text to speech responses and of course control the screen.

For example "Siri tell NewsBrain to speak the news" would invoke "newsbrain:///speak the news" causing the app to launch and read articles aloud.

14. macrumors regular

15. macrumors member

does anyone use Siri or something similar regularly? i still haven't seen a real need to ever talk to my phone. maybe one day when scarlett johansson is on the other line, but until then my fingers work quite well.

16. macrumors regular

But Pebble doesn't have Siri, I believe the comment you responded to was referring to verbal communication with Hue and Nest.

17. macrumors regular

awesome

18. macrumors regular

I use it all the time, especially while cooking. I have my iPad in a large freezer zip-lock and use Siri to look up stuff, respond to messages and anything else beyond a tap away.

19. macrumors 68000

Siri offers nothing but frustration in real world usage.

Any noise around you confuses it.

Google voice has been so far much better at understanding the human language.

20. macrumors 6502a

Lepton

I use Siri all the time, but for two main things:

"Set a timer for ten minutes" I use this when Im cooking or whatever. It is much faster than whipping out the clock app and spinning those little wheels to set the time.

"Remind me to visit Mom at 2" When said at 3PM it sets up a reminder for tomorrow at 2PM. Again much faster, and I use this when I want a reminder for a meeting or to go somewhere when it isn't a big enough deal to make a calendar entry.

I also use it in the car "Let's drive to Mom's". This figures out who "mom" or "Uncle Fred" or whomever is, and starts giving directions there.

It's just a very speedy shortcut for doing simple stuff.

21. macrumors 601

LagunaSol

That looks just like a Galaxy Gear. :D

22. macrumors regular

better

I disagree. To me it looks quite a lot better.

It's clear that Samsung didn't copy this !

23. macrumors 65816

I own a really high end watch (It was a gift) so I am not in the market for a smart watch. I hope some of this technology filters down into another form factor (keychain, zipper pull, or something else) that will work with my lifestyle.

24. macrumors regular

Anytime I am doing laundry or cooking or waiting for something to start or stop I use siri to set my timer. it's a little task, but I do it so often that I love this feature. setting my wakeup alarm when it happens to change is nice too. ;)

25. macrumors 601

LagunaSol

You're right - on closer inspection, Mr. Tracy's device features no exposed screws on its face.