Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
does anyone really use siri?
I only used it for amusement a few times and since then the first thing I did was disabling it when I bought an iPhone / iPad.
I find it un-necessary for majority of people.

Yes - I do, like poster above - to set timers, alarm, call people. I find it is still reliable outside in windy conditions.

I've found that Siri's accuracy has improved greatly between now and when it was first introduced. When Siri was first introduced, it was very frustrating.

Losely related - The dictation in OSX 9 has also improved a lot since its first introduced too. Grammar checking is used to distinguish between "four" "for" / "too" to, where are previously I don' think it did, making it useless.

dewski

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2011
Where's the support for your statement that millions are being sold? Pebble had sold 190,000 watches as of the end of last year, nearly half to Kickstarter supporters. That's pretty good for a startup, but not millions. I suppose people are really lining up for the Galaxy Gear, though. Samsung claims to have shipped hundreds of thousands, but isn't talking about how many they've actually sold. In any case, a million or two worldwide, even if accurate, is not a big number, especially when you consider that Apple has already sold over 800 million mobile devices.

The point being, Apple is not going to chase this or any other product category. Apple being Apple, they will come up with something that will make everyone wonder why they thought it was going to be just an Apple version of something we've already seen. Why anyone who follows Apple even casually would predict that, I have no idea.

You have to include the Heatlh watch market in this. I'm am waiting on an apple wearable purely for fitness reasons. The fitbit force and flex are big sellers in my store and an apple watch would have to include those features in my eyes.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
oh ya sure....

everyone wants to talk into their watch and holding it to their mouths while wearing it..

Looks like frekin Macgyver or something from The Matrix..

All we need now is a rubber band, a stick of glue, and some bubble gum, then we'd really be in a sticky situation.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
oh ya sure....
everyone wants to talk into their watch and holding it to their mouths while wearing it..
I think sometimes they do, so it should have a mic (and no speaker). But mostly they don't. Mostly they want to just look and see who's calling, see the text or notification, discreetly touch the crystal to reject a call or reply using a canned text, things like that. But sometimes, they might want to whisper "Who is Satoshi Nakamoto" or something else being brought up in a meeting, and read the answer on the watch. It beats whipping out a phone and typing on a keyboard for thirty seconds.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I think sometimes they do, so it should have a mic (and no speaker). But mostly they don't. Mostly they want to just look and see who's calling, see the text or notification, discreetly touch the crystal to reject a call or reply using a canned text, things like that. But sometimes, they might want to whisper "Who is Satoshi Nakamoto" or something else being brought up in a meeting, and read the answer on the watch. It beats whipping out a phone and typing on a keyboard for thirty seconds.

ok, but you don't find talking to a watch, something that tells time, and pushes app notifications to the watch, seems ok, but talking to it, a bit.... disturbing.. ? Talking to your phone sounds more real, I think because you hold it in your hand..

If you wanna talk to a watch, at least take it off first....

Then again, maybe most Apple people wouldn't/don't care what others think of them walking down the street talking to their wrist basically.

For short/push notifications, i can see that, since its only brief, you look at your watch, not talking to it.

So, it doesn't have a speaker, I suppose you'd use your "phone" to respond, in which case, its out anyway, you may as well use that instead.

Maybe I'm not understand the concept, but it seems for some things it's ok, but lets not go crazy overboard here, in a sense that "You will never need to take your iPhone out again"

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Maybe I'm not understand the concept, but it seems for some things it's ok, but lets not go crazy overboard here, in a sense that "You will never need to take your iPhone out again"
I think that is sort of Apple's idea, yes. I think dictating a memo to your watch is going to look pretty odd, in the way that talking to someone on the phone using a wireless earpiece looks odd, like you are talking to yourself like some nut. Only with the watch, you'll look like some NSA agent.

But I see it more like a single phrase or sentence. When I ask Siri "How far is it to Mom's house?" Siri speaks, and puts text on the screen saying, "It looks like 14 Elm Street is about 5 miles away, Michael." It is that text I'd expect to see on the watch, Siri's voice nowhere to be found. So, I don't take the phone out of my pocket.

Now Apple announces CarPlay. At first, you have to plug it in, but wireless is coming. And then, you can control it from the dash, and never take the phone out of your pocket.

So unless you need some video or substantial text, maybe Apple's plan IS: Keep it in your pants!

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
does anyone really use siri?
I only used it for amusement a few times and since then the first thing I did was disabling it when I bought an iPhone / iPad.
I find it un-necessary for majority of people.

You find it un-necessary for yourself, you don't speak for the "majority of people". I use it all the time while cooking or through my headphones.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You have got to be blind if you think that Apple will not release a smart watch.

You are apparently not following what I am saying. Yes, Apple will be releasing some sort of wearable tech, but for hugely obvious reasons, they won't call it a smart watch, if only because it will blow away that very limited concept. But I am sure that no matter what they do and what they call it, many will no doubt continue to call it a smart watch. We saw the same thing happen with the iPad. The vast majority of people who thought they knew exactly what this product would be and what it would be called were totally wrong. Even after it was released, lots continued to complain that it was useless and would be a flop because it wasn't what they assumed it would be. Learn from the past.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
You are apparently not following what I am saying. Yes, Apple will be releasing some sort of wearable tech, but for hugely obvious reasons, they won't call it a smart watch, because it will blow away that very limited concept. But I am sure that no matter what they do and what they call it, many will no doubt continue to call it a smart watch. We saw the same thing happen with the iPad. The vast majority of people who thought they knew exactly what this product would be and what it would be called were totally wrong.

Totally agree!

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
I use Siri all the time, but for two main things:

"Set a timer for ten minutes" I use this when Im cooking or whatever. It is much faster than whipping out the clock app and spinning those little wheels to set the time.

"Remind me to visit Mom at 2" When said at 3PM it sets up a reminder for tomorrow at 2PM. Again much faster, and I use this when I want a reminder for a meeting or to go somewhere when it isn't a big enough deal to make a calendar entry.

I also use it in the car "Let's drive to Mom's". This figures out who "mom" or "Uncle Fred" or whomever is, and starts giving directions there.

It's just a very speedy shortcut for doing simple stuff.

It IS excellent for timers and alarms. I also use it to open apps sometimes. It can be faster than using spotlight.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
What makes it a POS? I'm curious for you to share your knowledge about it's features and design. :rolleyes:

Its a watch. That you have to charge. Probably more often than once a week. I hardly think the swiss makers are sweating. Also, it ooozes nerd. Way to cockblock yourself.

----------

Please do tell your vast experience with this yet to be released product.

It sucks. Bigtime.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
You dont need a crystal ball to see this will be a horrible product. But have fun with your nerd watch. At least if it is kinetic, you wont have trouble charging it.

Same thing was said by many about the iPad and iPod. You should read some of the comments that were made on this site around when the iPod was announced.

Anyway, based on what we know so far about its sensors and integration with Healthbook on iOS 8, people who diet and exercise regularly will love it.

Last edited:

ColdShadow

Cancelled
Sep 25, 2013
You find it un-necessary for yourself, you don't speak for the "majority of people". I use it all the time while cooking or through my headphones.

same applies to you,you don't speak for majority of people neither,I don't know a single person who use it and I know many iOS users.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
same applies to you,you don't speak for majority of people neither,I don't know a single person who use it and I know many iOS users.

Really? So we live in two different planets. I know this it all anecdotal ( I say, you say) but I actually deploy these devices for a large company and it is a huge feature my clients are interested in, especially with hands free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.