Apple Working With Shazam on Song Identification Capabilities for iOS 8

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 16, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on a song identification feature as a new addition to iOS 8, reports Bloomberg. The company has plans to partner with music discovery service Shazam to offer users a way to discover a song that is playing on the radio or from another source, such as a TV, using a small music clip.
    Along with Shazam, several other apps, including SoundHound, offer music and media identification capabilities. The apps use the iPhone's microphone to listen to short sound clips, matching songs against a database and providing additional information like lyrics and purchase links.

The existing Shazam for iOS app

Shazam is also capable of recognizing television shows and other media, so it is possible Apple's iOS identification feature could offer similar capabilities. According to Bloomberg, the feature will be directly integrated into iOS and will not need to be downloaded as a standalone app. It will function with Siri, allowing users to ask what song is playing.
    Earlier this month, it was reported that Apple has plans to revamp its iTunes music store in order to boost flagging digital music sales. The company is said to be considering iTunes for Android and an on-demand streaming music service similar to Spotify. A song identification feature could be released as part of the same iTunes overhaul, and it's also possible that high resolution song downloads are in the works.

Apple traditionally previews its operating system updates during its annual Worldwide Developers Conference and iOS 8 is expected to make its initial debut on June 2, during the 2014 conference.

Article Link: Apple Working With Shazam on Song Identification Capabilities for iOS 8
  2. macrumors 68040

Jul 31, 2005
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2012
    This would be a nice acquisition/partnership. If only Shazam could pick up music in really loud crowds!
  4. macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2012
    This sounds awesome, especially with Siri integration.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Jun 23, 2007
    I care about Shazam, and it's a great app for helping me identify songs I don't know. I buy it afterwards on iTunes. Win Win!
  6. macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    So my watch will be able to tell me what song is on the radio in the future?
  7. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
    Here you go
  8. macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2010
    That would indeed be an awesome feature!!!
  9. KdParker, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

macrumors 601

Oct 1, 2010
    Nice feature...but hope there is more with iOS8.

10. macrumors Core

Oct 17, 2011
    Does Spotify identify songs (and in some better way than Shazam)?
  11. macrumors 68020

Mar 31, 2010
    Shazam was one of the very first apps I downloaded for my first iPhone, the 3G. At the time, it was pretty amazing showing what smartphones were capable of doing with good apps. Been hooked on the App Store ever since. The cool thing about Shazam is 6 years later, I still find it useful. I don't use it much but when needed, it always does the job and still brings a smile to my face just like those early days.
  12. macrumors 68020

May 23, 2011
    Meh... How is this dramatically better than regular shazaam? Siri integration?
  13. macrumors 68020

Mar 31, 2010
    Nope, this is the only feature.
  14. macrumors 68020

Apr 2, 2008
    Hmmm surprised Apple wouldn't just buy Shazam...
  15. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2013
    Siri, what is the title of that movie?

Siri, what is the song title?

Siri whos that pretty lady in the show? (Lol)
  16. macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2010
    You and me both... This feature while a great addition, is already available on both Android and WP7/WP8. I hope this won't be another catch up year where they announce things as 'revolutionary' even though other platforms have had them for quite some time already. ;-(

1.) Larger phone - Check
    2.) Better maps - Check
    3.) Apps that can actually blood talk to each other (rumored but I hope it's a check).
    4.) Offline Siri/voice recognition/dictation - Check
    5.) Song recognition built in - Check
    6.) Heatlhbook - Check

All above are so far at least rumored in some way and all have already been on both competitors platforms in some form or another for a while... I'm hoping Apple will surprise us all and have something totally unique and thought through. No on expected the look and feel of iOS 7 as they kept it super secret and I hope that is what's going on here... The leaked stuff is just a little taste but they have something completely surprising for us.
  17. macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    Windows Phone already had this feature built into the OS for a long time already.
  18. macrumors Core

Oct 17, 2011
    SoundHound is pretty good too, but I guess Apple likely has its reasons for going with Shazam.
  19. macrumors 6502

Dec 23, 2013
    How about a better stock music app in iOS 8 first and foremost?
  20. macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2012
    Agreed. Hopefully this is a minor feature and not one of the tent poles :)
  21. macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2014
    Ofc there will be. Such as Siri improvements (likely offline... since OS X has offline dictation) and notification center, various app improvements and design tweaks around the system.

Also improved synergy w/ Mac OS X just like every update.
  22. 3bs
    macrumors 603

May 20, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Windows Phone also JUST got a system wide rotation lock and separate volume for media and ringer.... :rolleyes:

Edit: and apparently thats just a developer preview not a consumer release.
  23. macrumors 65816

Jan 7, 2014
    Expect that. Apple touches the music app every update. They've redesigned the app the last 2 consecutive years. Maybe even more but I haven't been following Apple that far back.

and.. it's developer preview!
  24. macrumors 6502a

Mar 24, 2010
    I'd prefer Soundhound... But either way, if Siri can detect what song is playing (even without having to first ask!) that'd be really useful.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Apr 23, 2013
    Darn. I really wish they would concentrate on fixing iTunes Match first, before introducing another broken song recognition feature.