Apple Works and Powerbooks>?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Grokgod, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I got the Ti 800 and wanted to use apple works and it isnt there>?

whats up with that, doesnt APple works come with the Ti, it came on my iMac.

WAZ UP?

2. Solipsys macrumors member

just copy it on over :)

like you said in another post... it's just that easy. odd that appleworks wasn't already installed on the ti though.

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: just copy it on over :)

2 words: Software piracy

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: Re: just copy it on over :)

Another 2 words: Who cares? ;) :p

5. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Appleworks doesn't come with the tibooks. My rev a 500 didn't come with it either. The pro lineup doesn't come with it, only the consumer models (iMac, eMac and iBook).

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

How strange...when I first got my firewire iBook (Graphite 466) I think it came with Appleworks 6.0.1 or something along those lines.

And I do not see why it is piracy if you have software you own on computers you own. Is that what you mean, alex, when referring to transferring Appleworks to another computer as illegal? I kind of find that hard to understand.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hey Grokgod, do you still own the iMac? if you do you could just copy it to the TiBook and not use it on the iMac at the same time as you use it on the TiBook. that way everything would be legal, if you're concearned about that sort of stuff.:D

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: just copy it on over :)

If he already has it from one system that he purchased from Apple, it's not piracy... :p

I purchased a copy a while back, and use it on all the systems that I either own or use.

9. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I still have the iMac!

Yup! I got the iMac and it came with Appleworks.

I am trying Not to have to use M$ word for my text work.
    I think that APPLEWORKS would be just fine, it ws on the iMac.

Hard to see why I got it on my iMac and not the Ti.
    Wonder if my new Powermac will come with it?

SO, do I need to find the preferences and copy those also> or just the folder itself.

Thanks for the help.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Re: I still have the iMac!

An iMac, TiBook and PowerMac!?! :eek:
    ...I'm so jealous! :p

11. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If you are using OS X, you should just need to copy the folder from the Applications folder over. Make sure you have the most recent version (6.2.4 I believe). You can update the copied over one the same as the others. OR you could install the version that came on your iMac's cd... I've done that before and then updated it to the OS X native version. Works no problem at all. :D

12. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

No PowerMac yet!

Hey Verbose~

Nothing to be jealous about yet, I still dont have a PowerMac yet.

I am waiting to see what comes out this MWNY like everyone else.

But I will be getting whatever comes out this time around.

So then you will have plenty reason to be jealous!

Yup, I copied the APPLEWORKS over via airport and its all good!

Thanks , I am happy to stay away from Word, though everyone says that its great, using M$ explorer is enough for me. I think that APpleworks will do for all my text needs, I use FinalDraft for my screenplay stuff and its pretty cool.

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Re: Re: just copy it on over :)

I will admit I've not read the AppleWorks license, but most software licenses allow you to use one copy of the software at a time on one computer at a time. If this is the license used by AppleWorks (and it probably is), then it would be legal for him to transfer it from one computer to another but not to have it installed on multiple computers simultaneously.

Alex

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

I find that rule kind of annoying. What is the point of using multiple computers if and when necessary with the same application if you are not allowed to? Exactly. Is this rule supposed to be protective or for safety measures? Or is it for people on networks?

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You don't own the software, though. You own a license to use it under the terms that the publisher has set. You can't disassemble it, you can't re-sell it, and you can't keep more copies on hand than the license allows for. During the installation process, most people just skip over the EULA without reading it, but the fact is that they are entering into a legally binding contract whether or not they've read it, and whether or not they understand it. I would dig up AppleWorks' EULA to look further into the specific terms, but I can't find a way to do so without reinstalling AppleWorks.

Alex

16. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I thought the interpretation of the rule was that you are allowed to have the software installed on multiple instances, so long as you are only using one at a time (ie, you don't have a friend using AW on your iBook whilst you're using it on your Qag).

17. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You are allowed to run multiple copies of the same program on multiple computers, but you have to pay for the privilege. Either you have to buy a multiple-user license, or you have to buy more single-user licenses. And again, the fact that you find the law kind of annoying does not nullify the law.

Alex

18. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It varies with the software... AppleWorks could be this way. I will admit I don't know. I hope it's not, though, because then all this effort arguing that it is will have gone in the pisser. :)

Alex

19. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

True. It would have been a slight waste of an argument, but...... it would be nicer if apple were found to be just slightly laxer than most, and allow you to use what software you own on all your computers :)

Apple don't have anywhere near as stringent controls for their software as microsoft do, so it's possible that duplicating you AW wouldn't be frowned upon too deeply (or maybe i'm just clutching at straws here ;)).

20. TypeR389 macrumors member

Funny, didn't realize this! You'd think for $3200 they would throw in a copy of Appleworks with the Ti...

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Not quiet... Most, if not all, software packages allow you to install the application on any machine where YOU are the primary user. If I have two Mac's at home, I can install the same software on both of them. In a situation where you have one tower and one laptop, I can install AppleWorks on both since I am the one who uses both (exclusively). That way, I can write on the tower while at home, and the laptop while I am elsewhere. Most applications have the provision that you can only have one copy (with the same serial number) running on a network at the same time. Illustrator, PhotoShop, Quark and such are all like that.

Since Appleworks came with so many systems, and DOES NOT require a serial number to be entered to fully function, it allows you to run it on as many of your computers as you choose.

I read the Illustrator license agreement back when I purchased a copy of version 8 a few years back. It allows you to install, and use, the application on any system so long as you (the purchaser) are the primary user. By primary, they mean that you alone use the software, no one else.

I just pulled up the Illustrator 10 agreement and it has this to say about installing onto laptops...

"2.4. Portable Computer Use. The primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed may also make a second copy for his or her exclusive use on a portable Computer provided the Software on the portable Computer is not being used at the same time the Software on the primary computer is being used."

IF you are really concerned about AppleWorks, read the user agreement, oh wait, there isn't one... I wouldn't worry about it too much.

22. Grokgod thread starter macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

whew, shades of illegal installations, batman!

Well~ I think the conclusion is that I will NOT be going to prison for using Apple works on my Ti.

Happy to hear that, although it was a close one and there was a few times when the door bell rang that I was certain that I had been found out!

So it all good, thanks for the help everyone.