Applecare Alternatives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by grrr223, Oct 26, 2003.

1. grrr223 macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2002
    I think I'm going to buy a new 15.2" Powerbook, and the Applecare is $350.

While I understand that warranties all favor the manufacturer, blah, blah, blah... I would most certainly like the peace of mind that it provides.

So my question is: Are there any alternatives to the Applecare warranty? For example, credit cards that cover products purchased with them, or retailers that offer extended warranties for less than the $350 that Apple is charging?

Thanks in advance.
  2. agdickinson macrumors member

Jun 17, 2003
    Marston Green, West Midlands, UK

I know of certain credit card's (UK anyhoow) who give extended warranties.

Though one thing about the Applecare warranty is you do not have to buy it at the same time as your Mac.

You can buy it up to 12 months after buying your Mac. That is what I was told when I phoned the apple store a while back.

This means you can get the AppleCare anytime during the first 12 months of your standard warranty. So at least it means it is less to pay up front.

Hope this is helpful to you :)

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    CompUSA sells warranties for iPod, i dont know whether or not they also sell warranties for PowerBooks though.
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The problem that I see with alternatives is not being able to call Apple. Apple Customer Care gets high marks for there phone assistance. I personally would like to get assistance from someone that is knowledgeable about the Mac.