Applecare and a replacement Macbook Air..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by itsjustmeee, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

From what I understand, applecare doesn't "reset" itself with a defective iPhone 5 that needs to be replaced but what about a Macbook Air? In my case, I had a mid '11 that I purchased in march. It needed to be replaced a couple of months later and they gave me a mid '12 model. Did the warranty reset itself with the newer model? It seems to me like it should since it's actually a totally different computer.

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, your AppleCare agreement is still limited to 3 years from the date of purchase of your original MBA. It doesn't start over with a replacement. You can check your remaining warranty and/or AppleCare coverage here

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oddly enough, I just checked. Both Airs show up. The original shows a June 5th expiration date and my mid '12 replacement with an "estimated expiration date: august 1, 2013" so somehow it looks like it did start over. Interesting.

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It didn't start over. If it had, your expiration date would be 3 years from the replacement date.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't have Applecare, just the 1 year warranty. If it didn't start over, why is the projected expiration date sept 1, 2013 for the replacement when I bought the original one on june 5th?

6. macrumors member

The standard warranty will be a year from purchase. In this case of the second laptop you will get a full year warranty from the day you got it. Applecare is an extended warranty though and it will not reset for a new computer.