AppleCare and memory upgrade compatibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nodabs, Oct 10, 2006.

1. nodabs macrumors regular

I did a search on this but couldn't turn up much of a definitive answer... so i'm bringing it to the masses.

I noticed in the Buyer's Guide for RAM it states that you must retain at least one of the Apple OEM memory modules for AppleCare to be valid. So if i were to purchase 2x1GB memory modules and install them in my new iMac i would void my AppleCare plan? I'm confused...

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, you would not void warranty. But you should keep at least one stick of RAM that came with your Mac in order to help you and Apple troubleshoot your machine in case of problems. If you have problems, you can always pop the Apple RAM back into your machine...if the problems persist, Apple should take care of fixing your machine. If the problems stop, it could be the third-party RAM, in which case you should talk to your RAM supplier about the bad RAM.

3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

How are they going to know what RAM you have put in it?

Just save the RAM that came with, put it in the packaging that your new RAM came with, and store it somewhere safe. You'll be fine.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here's something that has bothered me of late...the MacRumors Guide on buying RAM does say that you must keep a stick of Apple-branded RAM, and I distinctly remember this being true. But that information was added to the guide almost a year ago, and I can't find any current information on Apple's web site that addresses this.

Am I missing something, or has their policy changed?

(But even if it's not explicitly required by Apple, it's still a good idea to keep a stick of their RAM for troubleshooting purposes...it can save you a lot of hassle if they try to tell you that it's your third-party RAM that's causing the problem.)

5. xlosltove777 macrumors member

From previous RAM purchases I've made for PC's usually the RAM has a little sticker or something saying the brand and other details.
    I'm going to be upgrading to and I was recomended to keep 1 stick, and do w/e i want with the other.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=239079

6. nodabs thread starter macrumors regular

I looked and read through the entire pdf on the AppleCare portion of the website and couldn't find a single reference that explicitly states that one module of the OEM RAM be retained...

However, thanks for all the information. I think i may keep a single stick of the OEM RAM just in case. :)

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I agree with your suggestion 3rd party RAM isn't covered by Apple's warranty and Apple does tend to be suspicious of it when there's a problem. If you get rid of your apple ram then it's possible you could be stuck if apple decides it's the ram that's to blame

However, I don't know if they've ever actually required you to have the Apple branded RAM. I had a client several years ago that only had 3rd party RAM in his computer and had to deal with applecare for repairs. Fortunately Apple never decided that the RAM was the problem so his G4 was repaired without any hassels

8. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

It seems to me that Apple is trying to make their computers more user upgradeable (the MacBook with easy access to RAM and swapable HD, etc.). If my computer was down and Apple told me they thought it was the 3rd party RAM, I would take it to a Genius Bar and simply ask them to prove it, prove to me that they should not make repairs under their warrenty. This could be achieved simply by pulling out some RAM and switching it out in my computer and turning the computer on. If it worked with their RAM I would take it up with my RAM provider.

9. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yes, but under the warranty they're not obligated to "prove it" in the way you suggest.....that's why it's a good idea to hold on to some of the original apple ram so you can prove to them that it's not the RAM that's a problem

10. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Yeah on paper they aren't obligatged to prove it. But when you are face to face with someone it is pretty hard not to, if you expect to keep that person as a customer. But you are right.