Applecare... BS???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by srphoto, Nov 29, 2004.

1. srphoto macrumors member

Nov 9, 2004
    i have had my PB for 2 months and a bit, and if im gonna get applecare i have to get it now.
    So my question is, is applcare BS? Bc it hardly seems worth it to pay 350 bucks to get it, if it doesnt cover drops or negligence?? I mean what are the chances that there will be a prob that is apple's fault?? And if there is what are the chances itll be over $350??
    Please give me your advice bc after all it will help for my peace of mind..
  2. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    I thought you had a year to get it after the purchase date....? Or is that "a bit" 10 months? ;) (2 months + 10 months [a bit] = 12 months=1 year :D)
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Look at...

Check out how much the parts alone are.

If you have anything bigger than a PB12, you need to replace the entire LCD assembly if anything goes bad there. Plus the hinges, boards, etc. aren't exactly cheap.

Notebooks tend to have more go wrong with them due to the amount of abuse it gets moving around and the heat from the enclosed spaces.

While a desktop just sits on the desk.

Still it's your choice.
  4. r6girl Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Sep 6, 2003
    hmmm, this question comes up quite a bit in this forum. here are just a few recent queries similar to yours for some info:

a search can bring up lots of useful data.

i purchased applecare for my 12" powerbook just before the first year was up. i haven't had any issues with my powerbook, but my motivation to buy it was two-fold. first, it would be just my luck that something would go wrong with my powerbook and i'd kick myself or not having it. :D and second, if/when they put a g5 into a powerbook within the next 2 years, i'd sell my current powerbook to buy one, and applecare could be an important factor to a potential buyer.

i'm sure you'll see lots of pro- and anti-applecare sentiments, depending on who has had to use it (and whether or not their mac was fixed to their satisfaction) and who never needed it and then regretted spending the money on it...

5. OryHara macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2004
    San Bruno, CA
    Applecare has helped me replace 3 keyboards that my younger siblings have spilled, hit and burned. It was only a keyboard but if they dont care if it has burned keys i doubt you could do much worse.
  6. srphoto thread starter macrumors member

Nov 9, 2004
    Thanks for the input, and i did try to search it but for some reason it didnt come up. Yeh i was surprised too.
    And Sun Baked, woah u r right the parts r pricey.

So after reading those threads my question changes to: What is to stop me from getting insurance, and is there such a thing anyway?!??
  7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Insurance and warranty are different.

Depending where you live and what your insurance brokers offer, insurance (included with your household or business policy, or added as a 'rider') covers theft, fire, accident etc. and *maybe* accidental damage such as "dropped it while running through the airport". Insurance does not cover breakdown in normal use or loss of data.

-- (I have heard second-hand that some brokers (not in Canada though) offer breakdown coverage under the terms of an insurance policy. This would probably be expensive, or will become so rapidly as the policies are abused and claims skyrocket...)

Warranty (and extended warranty like AppleCare) covers breakdown in operation of the machine, and usually *excludes* damage caused by the user (dropped, stepped on, poured coffee over, opened the machine and modified it, dog ate the cable). Warranty also does not cover software incidents, compatibility or loss of data.

AppleCare is more useful for Powerbooks than for desktops. You can usually get into a desktop to replace parts, many of which are fairly standard. Powerbook parts on the other hand tend to be miniature, proprietary, delicate and expensive.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The problem in the US with adding the computer to the homeowner's policy and making a claim is: you risk having a non-renewal and being dumped into the hisk risk pool, which puts you one step closer to foreclosure (especially if it takes to long to find a new carrier.)

Or simply getting a insurance bill several times higher when the next bill comes.

Watch the news. There should be more articles coming telling people to bump the deductible to thousands of dollars, to keep you from making the small claims that cost you much more afterwards.
  9. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    Personally, I despise warranties, especially extended ones for the primary reason that I have no qualms about cracking open my machines, laptop or desktop, and replacing parts as necessary. Moreover, since I do work at an Apple reseller with a service centre, I can get service parts at cost, and the tech doesn't charge me for labour or advice when I do elicit it from him. I tried to coax Apple into replacing my hinges if I agreed to buy Applecare, but no dice. Hinges are considered cosmetic, and are not covered under warranty, so I would effectively be spending $400 (Canadian) to not fix my problem.
  10. advres Guest

Oct 3, 2003
    The newbie tag has never been so obvious! ;)

Seriously though. I got the first rev of the 15"PB and I had to have the screen replaced and super-drive replaced. It was still under the normal 1 year warantee so it was all good. The day it came back I bought the Apple Care. I would rather spend $350 when I got it then $1300 when I don't have it and need my book fixed.

Also, the phone tech support is only for 3 months the warantee lasts an entire year and you have that whole year to make up your mind. :D
  11. hansen macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2004
    In Denmark the mandatory warranty is two years, but Apple is advertising that Applecare extends the warranty from one year to three years. Is that legal?

I know it also includes insurance and support, but I find it very expensive considering that the 2 year warranty is mandatory here (and rest of EU?) anyway
  12. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Well, yeah...

You think? If we all worked in service centers for our cars, computers and electronics, no one would ever buy extended warranties....kind of a no brainer.
  13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Amen! Also should point out that if you have more than two claims in two to three years, you run the same risk you mention.

I went with Applecare after I had to send in my PB 12" for a SDD replacement just prior to my warranty expiring. To save some money on Applecare and other Apple stuff, you could always take a class at the community college. You then qualify for the student price, and you learn something at the same time.
  14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    My cost for the SDD replacement would have been $320US.
  15. szwecja macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2003
    Indeed, if you have bought new Apple computer (through Online Store or at the reseller) and you live in Europe, I think Apple Care is complete waste of money. Civil Law in EU gives you all warranty cover that is in the Apple Care (in some countries even longer). In fact you are paying 440EUR (580$) for the phone support, but for that you have this extremely helpful Apple Discussions.

16. moot macrumors regular

Jun 30, 2004
    in the great Asian wonderland
    I think its a good idea to spend the money to ensure that your new computer never goes wrong.

I bought Applecare for my first iBook (tangerine). Guess what, never needed to use it. No problems whatsoever and still going strong nearly 5 years later :D

With that in mind, I didnt bother getting Applecare for my new iBook. Guess what, after 13 months things just started to go wrong. :( Nothing major yet(fingers crossed) but annoying. And not worth the money to get it fixed. My iBook seemed to know that I didnt have Applecare and probably decided to teach me a lesson.

When I buy a nice new G5 PB I will definetly get Applecare. I learnt my lesson. Bet I will never have to use it though. :rolleyes:
  17. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    If it is European law you are referring to than you are wrong. Or at least partially. In Europe there is a difference between warranty and guarantee. Guarantee is what Apple Care gives you, meaning it does not matter if it was Apple's fault the computer broke. With the 2 year mandatory warranty it is different. After 6 months YOU have to prove that the product was faulty upon purchase.
    So there's a huge difference here and Apple Care covers a lot more than the mandatory warranty does. That is if Apple is strict on how they act upon it.
  18. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    I personally have never had Apple Care, and I've been lucky and never had a computer die on me, but quite frankly it's NOT a bad idea if you plan to keep the machine for a few years.
  19. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    Regardless of the fact that I work at a store with a service centre, I'm still more then capable of installing and replacing parts myself. Most of the disassembly procedure can be figured out logically, and where that isn't possible, service manuals are very easy to obtain. Moreover, service parts are rather simple to obtain from alternative sources, for rather cheap. Case in point, I'm still working on getting my Cube to function properly, and have already replaced a logic board for it, obtained for much less than Apple's $800 price tag.
  20. Village macrumors member

Feb 3, 2003
    Austin, Tejas
    I know Visa and American Express double manufacturer warranties up to an additional year. This should give you two years coverage on your Apple product. Has anyone had experience filing claims with either of these two card companies? I hold both cards and would like to purchase a powerbook next spring.
  21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Where do you get this from? I switched to a new homeowners policy because my carrier decided to stop offering homeowners in NYS. Less than a month into the policy, upstairs neighbor's toilet hose burst and completely flooded my kitchen and living room. Had a check for $22,350 within the week and rates have not budged in 4 years. Have also had two small claims after that.

Same company, I switched my auto over at same time a homeowners and some kid smashed into my new Acura TL. Claim paid without a problem, over $9,000. Again, no rise in rates. Made a claim last week for a break in (glass and stolen items plus rental car). Claim granted today except stolen items (negligible) were under my deductible. Returning old Tl and leasing a new one next week. Insurance quoted was LESS than previous policy. In fact, I'm getting back $38 and my old car has been covered for 9 weeks.
  22. srphoto thread starter macrumors member

Nov 9, 2004
    LOL to that!! And thanx ppl i think ill be getting it. Id still apreciate hearing from some ppl that have applecare and have used it. How easy is it to get apple to pay up or fix it? And what type of damage did they cover?
  23. thecow macrumors 6502

Nov 24, 2003
    Timonium MD
    Best kept secret about applecare: If you don't use it, you can cancel it at any time and get a full refund. Even 2 years, 11 months and 30 days after you buy the computer. Look in the terms and conditions.
  24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Actually you can't under the current AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions -- you'll find...
    So it's prorated and a cancelation fee is added. Which means no full refund.
  25. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    Proration makes sense. Is that a word? Anyway, I just bought my Applecare for my G5 on eBay for $99 bucks. $106 after shipping. Can't beat that with a stick whether I use it or not!... :D