Applecare conflicts?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by terriyaki, Aug 10, 2006.

1. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

I have a 12" iBook that has about 2 years of Applecare remaining. Assuming I want to upgrade my hard drive sometime within those two years, will my Applecare be void?

2. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

hmmmmm....you will have to read up on it, but I am almost positive that I remember hearing that if you replace a hd or memory it can ruin the chances of applecare taking care of any problems, blaming it on the foreign hardware.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

or you can take it to the store and have them install it for you. apple certified tech will (or should) be able to install it for you.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think the thing is that applecare will not cover the harddrive, but if you have them installing it, you won't have to worry about them blaming failure of, say, memory on the fact you are using a non-apple shipped HD.

5. terriyaki thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Interesting. So let's say I get a certified Apple technician to do the installing and something goes wrong with the hard drive within my Applecare warranty, Could I ask for a replacement hard drive that was similar to the original drive I bought with the laptop in the first place?

6. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

why don't you just call applecare?

what kind of nazi computer company does something like this? :mad:

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no, because only the original hard drive is covered by Apple's warranty......the rest of your computer would still be covered by your applecare though.

The replacement hard drive you bought to upgrade your computer might be covered by the manufacturer of the new hard drive though. The same is true if you upgrade RAM with 3rd party stuff. It's not covered by Apple but hopefully you bought RAM that is covered by a warranty from its manufacturer.