AppleCare experiances. Do not back down!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by codo, Oct 2, 2006.

1. codo macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

Posting some recent experiences with AppleCare. This is quite a long post ;)

So, MacBooks. Wow, what cool computers, eh? I think you know where this is going.

Anyway, I've had my MacBook for just over month. It has one of the best computers I've ever owned, and it’s been very useful for getting work done on the go. It’s also mighty fine portable editing machine – Run Final Cut beautifully.

However, three days in, I noticed a high pitched “wine” being emitted from the top left of the machine. I thought "Ah well, it’s a computer. They make sounds. I can live with it". I also noticed how extremely hot it got... Even when it was doing nothing. "I can live with that too... Just don’t touch it, use a book under it and never put it on my lap".

A week in, the track pad button become loose and started making a metaly click sound. Oh well... "It gets pushed a lot, its not going to stay nice and responsive forever. I can live with that".

After a month, the headphone jack became loose, headphones didn’t stay in very well and protrude out. "Oh, it doesn’t matter, ill just have to stay extra still when wearing headphones... I can live with that".

Then, over the last week, I noticed it was starting to go grey/green in areas. The right palm rest, bits of the left, parts of the track pad button and up in the top left hand corner. Quick search on the net - Oh look, a wide spread problem. I began Googling the other problems, and I was presented with a vast number of other people with the same issues.

So I decided to phone AppleCare today, adamant on a replacement. Not a repair. The way I see it is, Apple has sold me a product with not one, not two, not three, but five faults. Why should I give up 15/20 days of my time, of which I need to work on coursework, because of their product faults? I shouldn’t.

Anyway, phoned AppleCare and spoke to a friendly woman for about half an hour, describing the infinite number of problems. She offered to have it repaired, but I really didn’t want that. She then contacted a "technical support officer". Another 10 minuets on hold. He said no, because its out of the initial “14 day support period”, so they could only offer a repair. I refused again, so she contacted “Apple After Care”, they said no, then customer services, who also said no. By this point, I was frustrated, and even more adamant about getting a replacement. So I asked to be put through and speak to them my self. Over an hour and a half later and a considerable time on hold, another guy at Apple After Care said he would fight for me, as I made it clear that without a computer, I would fall behind on work, and its not as if I have misused my computer or these problems are as a result of my negligence.

5 minuets later, this great guy had my details and a replacement was ordered. Let me make it clear however, I must have been asked to accept a repair on about 12 occasions before getting to this point. I was as polite as possible, but extremely firm.

If you find your self in a similar situation, and you are asked whether or not you want to speak to Apple After Care, or you wish the Apple Care rep to do it for you, make sure you do it. You will save your self time and energy.

My point to this post is really, if you have a problem, just get it sorted as soon as possible and not just “accept” it, because your not doing your self any favours. I felt “guilty” that I was asking precious Apple to sort out my MacBook over what I initially perceived as trivial issues, which they were as individuals. It’s when you add them up that I felt screwed over.

I questioned whether I was being a difficult customer, but I don’t believe this is the case for two reasons. Firstly, all the problems were not my fault; I'd looked after this machine very well. Secondly, they are a multi-billion dollar company, making such enormous profits. I saved hard for that computer, and I don’t see why I should pay for their crappy quality of product in either time or money.

I look forward to receiving my fault free, fabulous replacement.

Take care,

Chris.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well played. :)

Oddly, if you'd been less tolerant of the first issues, you'd likely have had to send it in for repair (since there would have been less obviously wrong with it at that point).

I hope the replacement is better (it most likely will be). Enjoy it - you've earned it.

3. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Good work!

Don't EVER back down on warranty issues. Every person that accepts that a company "just can't" do something related to a warranty claim is making things worse for everyone else.

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I got my MacBook Pro replaced through Customer Relations and it is an entirely different beast than my first week 17. Even the trackpad button clicks differently ;)

Glad to hear you came through with a new machine!

It took me two repairs (38 days without it) and when problems kept coming I pressed on for a replacement, as I wasn't really content with the fact that I could well be without my notebook for 30 days more.

Update: spelling check... ;)

5. codo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. Definitely important to hold your ground.

Unfortunately, that’s what I was worried about. I knew that the likelihood was, they would fix a few things, but it would still have issues... And it would take weeks. I'm glad you got a replacement too.