AppleCare for $119... how long?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SteveC, Jan 9, 2005.

1. SteveC macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    I am browsing the Store for Education (I'm a college student) and just noticed that AppleCare for the iMac/eMac is $119.

Did they lower the price recently, or was it lowered a long time ago? Last time I bought it (last year) it was $139 through the Apple Store for education. Is the price likely to go back up soon?

Also, I plan to buy a new iMac or eMac in the next weeks. Do you know if I can buy AppleCare NOW and activate it on my computer after I buy the computer?

I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy AC now for the reduced price, since I'll be buying it in a few weeks anyway.
  2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    AppleCare for those machines was never $139. It is $169 without the EDU pricing.

You can buy it ahead of time if you like, but the price isn't likely to change.

Buy it at the time of purchase. Whether ordered online or in an apple store, it is immediately linked to your machine so you don't have to call or send anything in.
  3. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    The AppleCare Education price for the eMac was $139 when I bought it last year. I can scan my Apple Store receipt and show you if need be. ;) It was purchased through Apple directly.

On the part about them immediately linking AC to your machine, you're saying they can do that if you buy the machine and AC at the same time, right?
  4. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    Long Island, New York
    Be careful!! When I bought my emac in June of 2003, I purchased Applecare on the spot with the machine. My sales rep said that the applecare will be activated with my purchase and that I wouldn't have to send anything in. So a year goes by and I get a letter from Apple inviting me to purchase applecare!!! I was pretty fumed but luckily I saved the box and its contents from my applecare purchase and was able to activate it for my machine on my own. Please be careful to check and see that applecare was activated after you purchase your machines!!
  5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    its always good to check up on reps, either way because they're human. I get those letters when a machine is registered for applecare usually no matter when it was registered, I think they send them out to everybody because of the high profit margin on extended warranties in general.
  6. SteveC thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 7, 2003
    Exactly... I have ALWAYS called and activated mine. I've purchased AC many times and am always told to call it in or mail it in.