Applecare for 17MBP really necessary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wonga1127, May 8, 2006.

1. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Okay, I am aware of the possible screen issue with the 17 inch MBPs, but I would love to keep the final price of my MBP under $3000 USD. Is the Applecare worth it? If any problems arise, which would be most likely? And how much do those cost? If i dont get Apple care and it arrives DOA, am I stuck with it?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

AppleCare is ALWAYS worth it.. particuarly for laptops.

The first time that LCD or mobo flake on you and you're 3 days out of your warranty and the bill is $1000... you'll wish you'd paid.

When you buy it, you have a 1 year warranty automatically, AppleCare extends that to 3 years. You can always buy it right up until the end of your 1st year of warranty runs out. AppleCare price is listed on their website.

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

H*LL YES IT IS!!

Like yellow said the first time you have something go wrong Apple care more then pays for its self. And you are buying Rev A hardware which just makes it more likely to have a problem.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Of course, it's worth it.

Even if you don't consider Apple's dodgy track record lately, the LCD itself will cost you more than the price of AppleCare, should you need to replace it. If anything on the motherboard goes wrong, it's likely that the whole motherboard will need to be replaced and will cost a small fortune as well.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Absolutely for laptops.

I had an overly-sensitive key on my PowerBook...Apple had to replace the whole keyboard. $150, covered by AppleCare.

At the same time, they replaced my top case due to some minor pitting. Another $80-100, and that didn't include the labor that was paid for in the keyboard repair as they had to remove the top case for that anyway. (So why not swap in a new top case when you're putting it back together...thanks, Apple! :D )

6. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Let's see, right after the official warranty expired months my PB 17" 1.33 had the SuperDrive go bad twice and the logic board go bad 3 times. Then in the 25th month of ownership the screen started getting white highlights. Basically without AppleCare I would have had to buy a new machine more than once. Apple also replaced part of my casing that had a scratch on it while they were replacing the screen. Every time I brought my PB into the Apple Store for repair it would be back in my hands 2-3 biz. days later. Excellent service.

Without a doubt it's worth it. Cheap piece of mind insurance.

7. Willy S macrumors 6502

Yes!

I know first hand that Apple hardware is certainly not durable so you should always calculate the cost of Applecare when you buy new Macs, especially Rev As.

8. D34th macrumors regular

I think everyone else already has you convinced but I'll just agree with them also. You CANNOT go wrong with getting Applecare, ESPECIALLY with a laptop. Like many people have said, it is definitely worth it when you find yourself needing a new Logic board or even LCD...

9. iGary Guest

iGary

10. milo macrumors 604

Extended warranties are a great idea for ANY laptop, mac or PC. They just take a lot more wear and tear than a desktop, so even a well-built one has a fairly high risk of problems.

11. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

yes!

you want your $2800 machine under warranty for as long as possible. $2800 is alot of money, isnt it worth it to pay the extra $350 just incase?

12. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Just as a site note: Why are parts for Macs so expensive? TiBook hinges are almost 300 USD! :eek:

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree 100%- AppleCare for laptops is absolutely a must. :) If something goes wrong inside of a laptop- it will be very hard if not impossible to fix it yourself- don't take the chance, buy AppleCare. :)

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You don't know anything about AppleCare...you've never had an Apple computer make it past the standard warranty period without being replaced. ;) :D

15. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Your purchase is covered by a one year warranty even if you don't purchase Applecare....please remember, Applecare is an extension to the basic warranty that you get with your computer purchase...don't let people confuse you about that

If you have the bad luck to get a DOA computer then you ARE covered by the warranty....so, NO, you're not stuck with it

Applecare is for year 2 and year 3 coverage......and you can buy it later in the first year if you want to, you don't have to buy it at the same time you buy your computer

16. iGary Guest

iGary

*chokes on salmon burger*

LOL!!! :D :p

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Mmmm...salmon burgers. There's a place right by my work that makes great ones. *checks watch* May have to stop by there on my way home...

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

unless of course your computer works just fine and doesn't breakdown.....which is the case with the great majority of computers.....then you're out the money you paid for the extension with nothing to show for it

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hindsight is great that way, isn't it?

20. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

This might be a little confusing, so bear with me.

Say applecare is $250(im not really for sure), if you pay the 250 when you buy the computer, you get three total years of coverage. If you wait until the end of the free 1 year warrenty, you pay 250, get three more years, for a total of 4 years. So is it better to wait until the end of the first free year?

Is the coverage the same for that one year(minus phone support) as if you got applecare?

Sorry if its confusing

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No, you don't get a total of four years. AppleCare extends the warranty to three years from the date of purchase of the covered item, regardless of when during the first year you purchase it.

22. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

23. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Couple of things to keep in mind:
    1. Most credit cards double the original manufacturer's warranty, so that's two years covered. So you're basically paying $350 for one more year of warranty (2 years vs. 3 years).
    2. I haven't kept a Mac for more than a year (I usually resell on eBay at close to original price).
    3. You can buy AppleCare at any time in the first year, so you can at least get interest on $350 for a year (about $14-$15 at 4%).
    4. Check your homeowner's policy. It might cover your computer.