AppleCare for desktop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jscheiman, Apr 15, 2005.

1. jscheiman macrumors member

OK, I've searched the topic over and can see how this extended coverage would be a benefit to a portable machine like an iBook or PowerBook as they are portable and constantly exposed to the elements.

However, is this coverage worth the $$$ for a desktop system like a PowerMac or iMac? I can see where the iMac user might want it as everything is contained in a single enclosesure so my question regards the PowerMac specifically.

Being that it is just the box mixed with seperate periphials, possibly including different internal memory and video cards, etc., is the $249 justifiable? I'm mixed on whether to purchase it when I get my new PowerMac next week.

I can undertsand with the amount of money I'm investing into this machine, it would be worth the money IF something should go wrong or I need personal assistance.

Then again, I consider myself very knowledgeable with my machines and always maintain and take great care of them, so why waste $250?

I'd like to hear your feedback about this. PowerMac & AppleCare, worth the money?

2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

In my opinion it is. I would wait until the new Power Macs are announced, as I'm betting they're annouced in the next couple weeks. Although the improvement don't sound like they aren't going to be that great, I would still be mad if I purchased a machine and the new ones came out right after. O yeah back to Applecare. I got it for my iMac G4 and didn't think that I would need it, but the Superdrive ended up breaking and they fixed it very quickly for free. That was back when those were really expensive. (Probably 2 and a half years ago)

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I got Applecare for my PM in my sig. The original memory that came with the system was incompatible with new memory that I purchased (both from Apple and Crucial). They came out to my house and repaired the desktop on site (on site repair is included with Applecare for desktops).

4. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

I've got a Rev A G5 and I didn't get Applecare, and I've never needed it... Honestly I wouldn't get it on anything but a portable. I've never really had an issue with Apple hardware that I haven't been able to fix myself. 'Course if you don't get it and something happens, you'll kick yourself forever. It's a tough call. Flip a coin.

5. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I think you're right on with your AppleCare analysis. For the all-in-one units that have proprietary parts and things you can't upgrade without voiding your memory, I would say that it is worth it. However, I didn't get it with my Rev. B TiBook that's still running strong (after a hard drive and optical drive replacement...), but I bought that as a demo model considerably cheaper than new in box.

My only thought on getting it with desktops is with a Rev. A product, or a revision with a new feature (i.e. backlit keyboard). The G5s (except the liquid cooled dual 2.5 GHz model) should be pretty safe without AppleCare. Hard drives, optical drives, memory, and graphics cards can easily be replaced (and in most cases upgraded), but if they all go at once 366 days after your purchase, the $300 might not have been a bad investment.

Just my $0.02, but it's your $300 and PowerMac...

cpjakes

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

It's actually $250.00 for the PM.

7. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I was rounding... :D

8. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

I was not aware of this. Pretty nice feature. This would be for a 2.5 model (liquid cooled) unless something drastic happens this weekend with PM updates...

So, I guess it might be a good thing considering the cooling method these things use. Although I really can't see them going bad within 3 years...anybody ever have or hear of specific issues with the 2.5 model?

9. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

Hmm, you make a good point w/ the cooling system, because if something goes wrong with it, you're SOL as far as self-repair goes... Why not just hang in there til the PM gets updated?

10. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

I have been putting money aside for thge past 6 months and have a lot of $$$ waiting in the wings for my freelance work. My 15" Ti 667 PB just isn't up to speed with what I need. Also, I cannot afford to wait 2-4+ months to get the 'latest & greatest' which is why I'm buying the current PM model available now.

Of course if by some miracle, great new machine running in the same price range as todays come out over the weekend with a 2 week or less wait, I'll go that route! Otherwise it's a good 'ol 2.5 come next week!

11. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

If you plan on keeping your PM for only 2 years, it appears that Computers that have Applecare sell for Much more money then those without on places like Ebay..

If someone can buy your PM with an apple warranty for at least a year, it also makes it allot easier to sell your used computer.

You can transfer your Apple care warranty to a second owner, you just need to send apple the paperwork.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can only speak from experience, and only my experience BUT- I have an almost 5-year-old Powermac G4 and an iBook G4. I've never had one problem that would warrant buying AppleCare. Now granted, I consider myself fairly tech-savvy and have always been able to solve my own problems. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are working inside computers.