Applecare for G5 Powermac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by SkudShark, Aug 1, 2004.

1. SkudShark macrumors member

SkudShark

I think it's around $150 at my campus because even tho edu on apple is like, $239 for my PB, I got it at school for $199.

But is it worth it for desktop? I'm strapped for cash, and I just was cruious, whats the life expectancy or past history on the G5 towers? Still waiting on the Dual 1.8 I ordered.

Oh yea, and was the old Dual 1.8 G5's 64 bit? everyone says try to get one cause of the PCI-X and 8 ram slots. Just curious, even tho I'm sticking with my current order.

2. numark macrumors member

Certainly on the 2.5Ghz machine, I would get Applecare. However, on your D1.8, it might not be as important. Remember that you can buy Applecare up until one year after you originally purchased the Power Mac. If you're strapped for cash now, just wait a couple months, save up some money, and buy it later. Applecare doesn't even kick in until the beginning of the second year (except for phone support, which only lasts 90 days on the standard warranty, but Apple Stores will still support you for free).

Every version of the G5 is 64-bit. The reason that the current D1.8 system doesn't have PCI-X and 8 RAM slots is because the current low-end models never have those features. The idea is to upsell you to the mid-end model. However, unless you specifically know you'll need those features, there's no need to necessarily go for the old D1.8. Virtually no PCI-X cards exist, and you'll only run into RAM slot issues if you plan on installing more than 4GB of RAM. Not many students do that.

Hope the D1.8 that you ordered works out well for you. I'm patiently counting down the days until I can buy my own Power Mac.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Wait 364 days - then call Apple and get Applecare. You'll have more money by then. :)

4. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

You should ALWAYS do this. By then you'll have a good feel for the machine, and will be able to better determine what you can fix and what they can fix, and whether it will be worth the sometimes week-long repairs they do.

In addition, usually the prices stay the same, and with inflation you could save up to $5 by waiting a year.

Put $200 into Gold until then.. by the time you need Applecare, Bush will have expanded deficits to the point where gold is worth 30% more.

5. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

I would go ahead and get applecare either now or in 364 days, it is worth it, while an apple store rep will be nice and tell you about stuff, once your warranty runs out, software, hardware and technical support will cost you, as will labor and parts
    applecare is generally worth the extra sens of safety

good luck

6. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

I probably would not buy Applecare for that box for this reason:

Deskies are much less likely to break down because they're far less prone to bumping, falling, denting, slamming, smashing, etc. Also, many of the common problems encountered with deskies are fairly easily fixed on site. Hard-drive meltdowns are the most common problem. A replacement drive is not particularly expensive.

So look at it this way: Deskies break far less often and the problems they do have often are fixable by you.

Bad bet, in my opinion.

With that said, I always buy AC for lappies. ALWAYS.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...that pretty much sums up my feelings too. I've not had applecare for my desktops and never needed it (knock on wood), although with the new dual 2.5 I have coming I may break that "tradition" just because of the new tech in this computer. It's always a bit of a gamble. Another factor to consider is your own level of computer-savvy - if you are okay with tinkering around inside and troubleshooting any minor stuff that may arise then thats another reason to save your money...but if you are the type that gets nervous just taking the cover off then you should probably get the extra protection...oh yeah!