Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henryzhao

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Under Australian Consumer Law, despite Apple's restriction attempts at 90 Days support, and 12 months hardware, Consumer Law, dictates that all products are covered for at least 26 months, and even beyond that as well.​

Australian Consumer Law is vague about how long they are covered for. And Apple take advantage of that. Sydney Apple Store genius told me my 2012 MacBook's battery (~70% after 300 cycles) and iPhone 5s' battery (68% after 680 cycles) wasn't covered because 1 year is a reasonable time period. 1 year.

starnox

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
My iPhone 6 is currently on 91% capacity... give it another year :)

I downloaded something called iCopyBot and it tells you your capacity.

d4nim4l

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2015
when I worked the Genius Bar it was always replaced if under 80% of charge capacity and below the expected number of battery cycles within warranty/AppleCare time. I don't know where this 50% number came from- seems like false information. I never worked with the watch though so maybe that battery was treated differently. I have trouble believing it though, I think this article fabricates some information- it is more likely that the AppleCare+ agreement wording changed slightly.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

d4nim4l

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2015
Australian Consumer Law is vague about how long they are covered for. And Apple take advantage of that. Sydney Apple Store genius told me my 2012 MacBook's battery (~70% after 300 cycles) and iPhone 5s' battery (68% after 680 cycles) wasn't covered because 1 year is a reasonable time period. 1 year.

1 year is a standard manufacturers warranty. Next time buy AppleCare or be prepared to pay for the failed battery out of warranty if it fails. Sorry dude but you have zero argument here.

cuwickliffe

macrumors member
May 8, 2014
My AppleCare ran out on my iPhone 5 last month. As a last-ditch effort, I thought I'd have a local Genius give it a look over , especially the battery, which I felt was tanking a little too fast. It came up at about 51% on their meter, one tick above what was the replacement threshold.

Thankfully, the Genius not only decided to replace the battery, but because of a "crack" he found, he replaced the entire phone. Sure it's an iPhone 5, but it's essentially a new phone 2 years after I last paid for it.

Perhaps there have been rumblings for a while that this change would happen and he was trying to fit me into the window.

My wife simply chalked it up as a "bro moment."

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Thanks for this (really). I might get them to recondition my Apple Portable battery.

Apple should offer AppleCare™ for Macintosh Portable and recondition and install new lead acid cells in their batteries! I've only found one service that does this, NiCd Lady in California, and it's a 5-6 week turnaround. Hard to find these batteries! And the Portable will not start without a working battery!
Or...they could just sell new batteries altogether with new cells. They are getting to find on eBay these days, too!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
most people who bought the $17K Watch Edition and then the $1,500 insurance likely know how to manage money better than you ever will, which gives them the spending power to drop that on a watch and not even care. they're the type of people who will probably buy the next one when that comes out too

if anything, i bet they pity someone like you who whines on a macrumors thread about how expensive it is
I bet the vast majority of people that actually bought the 17K apple watch were born rich. Artist and famous people get their apple watch for free. Anyways, if one can spend 17K on tech that will be outdated in a year, they can easily pay the insurance as well.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis

Consumer Law dictates hardware coverage for at least 26 months, from Date of Purchase. You were outside this timeframe hence the result. BTW your battery will need to be replaced when it hits 1500 charge cycles. My 2012 iPod has a yellowing screen, but left it too long to get fixed.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
The watches should all be like 5 years, the Edition should be for life.

Things like Laptops and Tablets should be 3 years.

Phones should be 2 years.

All this should be STANDARD, by law.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
The watches should all be like 5 years, the Edition should be for life.

Things like Laptops and Tablets should be 3 years.

Phones should be 2 years.

All this should be STANDARD, by law.

The cost of warranty coverage is built into the price. Increase the duration of coverage, and the price of the affected products have to go up. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Sure, it'd be nice to have longer standard coverage. Due to competitive price pressure, the cost increase would likely be of a lesser magnitude than the add-on plans (which are reputed to be highly profitable). It would also raise the bar for overall quality (an ounce of prevention). But there would be a variety of counter-arguments. The third-party sellers of extended warranties would lose business to no fault of their own. The added cost would price some consumers out of the market (hurting the product's overall sales prospects)...

But in the end, it's not likely to solve the battery "problem" for most people. Batteries degrade over time, determined by physics and chemistry (expert witnesses will make that clear to legislators). If a battery fails to maintain the specified lifespan (say, falling below 80% of capacity prior to reaching 1000 charge/discharge cycles) - great - more people will get warranty-covered repairs than under the current warranty. It will not help those who simply use up their batteries.

Further, you've proposed different warranty durations for different product categories. The law doesn't do that today, it's not likely to do that tomorrow. There's no legal justification for mandating different life spans for different product categories if all are built from similar materials, in similar ways. Should a CPU or display in a watch last longer than a CPU or display in a phone? Why should a battery that has the same lifespan (1000 charge/discharge cycles) be warranted for 5 years in a watch, but 2 years in a phone?

The only reason AppleCare offers a longer coverage term for computers than it does for other products is that computers tend to be replaced on a longer cycle, so consumers are willing to pay the cost for longer coverage. Who would buy 3-year coverage for a phone if they expect to replace it at the end of a 2 year carrier contract?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.