Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I'm buying a new macbook pro with retina display pretty soon and wondering if I should get apple care with it. It's another $200 and something dollars extra and I heard that apple care doesn't really cover much so is it even worth it?

Short answer yes, if you're in the US or Canada.

My rMBP crapped out on me big style when it was 18 months old. Apple did everything the could to fix it. In the end it became uneconomic to keep trying, so I was given a brand new 2014 rMBP

To get that kind of service out of warranty outside of the EU (or Australia), you need AppleCare

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Nope, just look at the 2011 15" MBP with it`s disintegrating GPU, As for AppleCare it only covers FAILURE so if your going to spend money it`s smarter to buy coverage that also cover accidental damage.

In some countries Apple and others are compelled to repair up to six years on Notebooks. One would think a premium product such as a MBP would by default have extended cover, nope Apple will only give you the minimum legal requirement same as the cheapest PC and that`s something worth thinking on.

I love OS X and like Apple`s product, equally Apple is very smart at blinding people and some of the stuff they do plain sucks. I`ve never had issue but it`s obvious many especially now with the 2011 MBP dGPU debacle...

Q-6

Wow, old thread!

You're right. I would say I was probably wrong before - I would now say that AppleCare makes sense for any Apple desktop or notebook. It has saved me more times than I would have expected, and paid for itself probably many times over.

I do think that AppleCare makes even more sense for brand new product lines than it does for old one - but I wouldn't buy any Mac without it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.