Applecare for Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dr427, Jun 7, 2006.

1. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

I was surfing ebay looking to see if I could get Applecare cheaper.

I noticed many people are selling Powerbook versions and saying they work with Macbook Pros.

I did a little research and see the item number at apple.com are 1 letter off.

M8853LL/A - Powerbook
    M8853LL/B - Macbook Pro

So my question is would I be screwed if I bought the Powerbook version and tried to use it for my Macbook Pro?

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I doubt that you could use PowerBook AppleCare in place of MacBook Pro AppleCare. But I could be wrong, maybe you should call and ask Apple. :)

3. dailyrorschach macrumors newbie

Just a suggestion, I just got a brand new MacBook and I decliend to by AppleCare. Instead, I'm going to buy it in April, a month before my complimentary year of support runs out. If you buy AppleCare right away, the 3 years goes into effect immediatley, instead of after your inital protection period ends. By waiting a year, you get 4 years of protection.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

NO! That is incorrect. The most you will ever get is a full three years from the date of purchase.

The "extra" AppleCare is good for an additional 2 years; added onto the original 1 year warranty.

5. reh macrumors 6502a

devilot is correct. Here's a handy timeline for your viewing pleasure.

[​IMG]

6. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I will third the comment that AppleCare is 3 years from Date of Purchase.

You have to prove to Apple when you bought the computer to be able to activate the AppleCare, and so they go by that date.

7. dailyrorschach macrumors newbie

God damnit, I was given the wrong information.

Still sucks though. Should be able to get four years out of computers that last so long.

8. caseyjones132 macrumors newbie

powerbook applecare is the same as macbook pro. I just got applecare for my macbook and the apple care says Powerbook/Macbook Pro

9. FragTek macrumors 6502

I bought my AppleCare on eBay for $159 and I got it posted to my account the next day! eBay is definately the place to buy your AppleCare plan, Apple direct rips you off.

10. 1MacDoc macrumors newbie

AppleCare

I recently purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan for my MacBook Pro on eBay. The packaging states "APP FOR POWERBOOK-E/K-USA M8853LL/A $349.00". I paid $185.00 and this included shipping. I went to Apple's AppleCare registration site < http://www.apple.com/support/selfservice/agreements > and registered my MacBook Pro without any problems. The difference between the /A and /B part numbers may have to do with the version of TechTool Pro included in the package. Mine had version 3.0.4 and did not boot on my Intel based MacBook Pro.

11. smdewart macrumors newbie

I, too, have a MBP and bought for $215 an AppleCare agreement for PowerBooks (the "A" item number). I just registered my MBP and everything worked! So, in fact, while the box says it's for PBs, it's also for MBP's. I checked into this further and found that Amazon still lists the "A" box. Just make sure you buy from a reputable seller. And while you may not luck out like the person above ($185!), anything is better than $349!

12. rickyrick macrumors newbie

Applecare not really necessary?

I bought the applecare just as insurance against the idea mine might be a lemon, although I am fairly sure I won't need it.

The G3 I have (that I use for non-video related functions) is going on 12 years old and has crashed on only one occasion. I think the last time I replaced the system software was about 5 years ago. It seems like each time I put a more advanced operating system in, the slower the imac would get. Is this true?
    thanks

13. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

The thread is over 4 years old; I think some of the members might have died of old age.

And BTW, the more advanced the OS, the more code it is running, and thus, yes, the slower the machine will appear to run.