Applecare for old Ibook? Sell old ibook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jefphil, Aug 20, 2006.

1. jefphil macrumors newbie

Ok guys, I know the drill, I'm new here, but I have read that the majority of people here think apple care is a good investment, and I agree. But here is the spin.

I have about 2 weeks to decide whether I want apple care on my ibook G4 14" 1.42. It'll run me just under $300 (CDN). Thing is, with all the new improvements out there, is it even worth it for me to buy it? Like, if my laptop broke, I was thinking of just wanna splurging on a new macbook (not that it wouldn't hurt the wallat of course.

Another major point, the laptop from what I've noticed on ebay is only actually worth like $900. So I'm paying 1/3 of the value for apple care (since all the new upgrades have depreciated my laptop).

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Comments?

Question 2.

Do you think it's wise to sell my laptop on ebay and pay to upgrade to a new macbook? How much do you think it's worth, assuming that it is in perfect condition. I figure that I can take what I would get for my ibook, add about $300 (cost of what I would pay for applecare) and probably pay an extra $100 or $200 extra for "upgrade" to macbook (so I would have a year warranty instead of 2 if I just upgrade my ibook).

My biggest problem is my ibook G4 is probably perfect for me. I do nothing on my laptop except type word documents and surf the net. No hardcore downloading, no photoshop, nothing but typing and internet. It's used mostly for school. But the new macbook looks so nice and I wanna get a widescreen format already.

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Here's how much it should be worth. But considering your uses, there's probably no direct advantage getting a MacBook apart from the screen. If you can afford it, go for it (you might want to wait a month or two for updates if you're like that).

3. generik macrumors 601

generik

I wouldn't buy it, if it breaks I will just take the excuse to put that $300 towards a new MB. Why throw good money after bad?

The PPC is a crap platform, now it is finally buried, horray, no point mourning for it, it is time to look forward to Intel :cool:

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Maybe the PPC platform is crap, but for the moment I'm upgrading my 1Ghz iBook with a newer hard drive and memory. Important apps (CS suite) are not out yet and there isn't much point plunking down 3 times the cash I'm already spending on a newer machine which loads iphoto faster.

It still has some uses.

5. jefphil thread starter macrumors newbie

Too bad apple didn't lower the cost on the ibook applecare, right now it just seems like a ripoff that I would pay the same price for applecare on an older machine than a newer one.