AppleCare for PowerMac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EvanAgee, Jul 5, 2006.

1. EvanAgee macrumors member

EvanAgee

Hello all,

I'm wondering what your opinions are on purchasing Apple Care for a new G5? I know that it's a good idea for laptops because the parts/repairs tend to be more expensive but is it necessary for the G5?

Obviously problems can occur on any computer but with machines that have been out this long do I really need a warranty that lasts longer than 1 year?

Thanks!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Murphy's Law says that if you don't buy it, you'll definitely need it, and if you do buy it, you won't need it.

That said, I would probably not purchase it. If you (or a friend) are handy with computers, most components can be replaced relatively easily and cheaply on your own. Yes, if your motherboard goes you'll be out some bucks, but optical and hard drives are cheap and easy.

It's really a personal decision. You have to weigh your willingness to possibly take on the cost of an expensive repair (or junking the whole thing and buying a new machine) against the certain cost of the AppleCare premium.

3. EvanAgee thread starter macrumors member

EvanAgee

Thanks a lot! A question about what AppleCare covers...

Will it pretty much cover anything that needs fixed without question or will they have to make sure that it wasn't due to negligence or something like that?

Thanks!

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

AppleCare does NOT cover accidental (or intentional, for that matter) damage.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

New logic board for G5 with labor: $900

New processor set with labor: $1100

Those are basically what go, if anything goes, on a PM.

I wouldn't be without it. ;)

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

iGary is the king of AppleCare though...he's on a first name basis with Steve after all of his issues...

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

That pricing is no joke either... I looked it up once. I have Applecare of my G5 and I am glad I do. I would hate to have my logic board fail and loose the entire computer. I can't afford a $900 repair so I would be out of luck. Well worth it for me.

8. tekmoe macrumors 68000

i bought my powermac applecare on ebay for like 80 bucks. good deal and well worth it.

9. generik macrumors 601

generik

New mainboard for PC: $200 tops

New processor for PC: $700 absolute tops

If it breaks I just throw that POS out the window, for the record I never had a PC break down due to "logic board" problems, can't say the same for PMs..