AppleCare? Good or evil?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sotied, Nov 2, 2004.

1. sotied macrumors regular

I guess evil is too harsh. I should have asked if AppleCare is "necessary."

So is it?

Lifelong Mac user
    Models owned - SE, LC, PB100, PB145B, G4 Dual 867
    NEVER - knock on wood???? - had a problem other than a watch battery running out of power on the LC.

Now, I'm about to purchase an iBook and am wondering about the 'book issues of a year ago and if I should worry unneccessarily about coverage. I also wonder if $250 or whatever the price is, is a good investment because of the phone hand holding you get for three years.

Enlighten me.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

The thing that most people seem to miss (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) is that you don't have to buy AppleCare upfront; you can wait up to a year and pick it up. Thus, you can wait to see if you like the unit, it has problems, or whatever. If during that first year you have non-stop problems with your unit then adding AppleCare would probably be a good idea.

Also, I don't believe the price changes if you buy AppleCare now or later. Other people seem to imply that having AppleCare gives you preferrential warranty treatment. Again, to the best of my knowledge it doesn't. So, strictly speaking, I see no reason to buy AppleCare upfront.

That's just my opinion, though.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I personally would never be without AppleCare. IMHO it is even more important with a laptop. Purchasing it at teh beginning gives you three full years of phone support. The one way to get prefernetial treatment with a Mac Genius and repairs is to have a ProCare Card.

4. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Yeah like my plan is to pretty much take a wait and see policy. If I can deley the $250 sting for a year after buying the machine then I will.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I think AppleCare is too expensive, you can probably get insurence that also covers accidents and covers it if it gets stolen.

After owning many laptops and no problems so far, if my powerbook ever gets damaged, i suppose its because i pour some coffe on it or drop it.

Its often cheaper to sell the powerbook (especially if you are a student) and get a new one every year instead of buying applecare.

6. cemorris macrumors regular

In the same boat

I got a used powerbook that is eligable and have been wondering the same thing. Does applecare cover acidental damage? I.E I drop and shatter the LCD, is that covered? I am assuming no, but wanted to double check

7. sotied thread starter macrumors regular

Accidental damage/insurance rider

Good question. I'd also like to know if I just get the machine covered under an insurance policy (homeowners/renters/etc.) aren't I going to pay a deductible for each occurence of a problem? AND, while dropping it or getting it stolen would be an issue, I'm more concerned with software and hardware issues.

The guy at MacEdge told me last night that AppleCare DOES NOT cover software issues, but the phone staff can usually walk you through almost any software problem and help you narrow down any other problem before you bring your unit to an authorized service center.

Can you really wait up to a year to purchase the AppleCare? I'd be psyched if that's the case. By then I should know if the machine has issues...and it's only about $20 a month to save to buy two more full years of coverage. OR is AppleCare three years from when you buy AppleCare??????

Jeff

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

AppleCare does not cover accidental damge.

Although you can buy it through the end of your included one year warranty, AppleCare only lasts for 3 years. Whether you buy AppleCare the day you buy you Mac, or 364 days later, the extended warranty will expire 3 years from the date you purchased your computer. So really AppleCare gives you an extra 2 years of warranty after your first year ends, and an extra 2 years and 9 months of phone support from when your included 90 days ends. If you buy AppleCare at the end of your first year of warranty, you lose the extra 9 months of phone support.

Also, if you are putting off buying AppleCare, make sure you allow enough time to purchase the AppleCare box and register it with Apple before you one year warranty is up. Apple is very strict about this policy, and even if you buy AppleCare, but don't register it with your computer, before the one year warranty is up, you are out of luck.

9. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yes, you can wait until just before your first year is up.
    AppleCare brings it up to 3 years TOTAL, so it extends it by two years.

Lee Tom

10. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

1. Powerbook parts are the most expensive to replace - that's why AppleCare is the most expensive for that model.

2. You can wait up to 364 days to purchase Applecare - same price, same deal.

3. AppleCare does not cover accidental damage or theft - homeowners insurance would cover that.

I recommend getting AppleCare - sometimes things go wrong - and they can be VERY expensive to repair. Wait 300 days or so if you don't have the cash up front.

11. Mac Dummy macrumors regular

Yes, you can buy Applecare before your one year warranty is up, but this warranty does not cover accidental damage apparently. I wish they did have Accidental damage insurance (think, Dell) especially for Powerbooks and iBooks. :(