Applecare - how long?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by FlaminMoe, Feb 27, 2006.

1. FlaminMoe macrumors newbie

I bought a 12" Powerbook about a year and a half ago. A couple of weeks after the 1 year warranty ran out, my superdrive packed up. I soldiered on for a few months, but finally took it in to the local Applestore on Saturday to get repaired.

The Apple Tech called me back today - to replace the superdrive will cost me €583 - that's on top of the €85 they wanted just to look at it, and €25 administration cost (!)

I didn't buy Applecare at the time of purchase, but my understanding was that you could buy it anytime up until the end of the 3 year extension period. However, the guy in the store said that you can only buy it within the original 12 month warranty period. Is this correct?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You only have one year after purchase in which to add AppleCare to a machine. Unfortunately it looks like you're out of luck. :(

3. FlaminMoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch! :mad:

I think it'll have to be a do-it-yourself job then. I ain't handing over €700!

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, I hear ya - might as well buy a brand new Intel iBook next month for that kind of cash! ;)

Another example of why it's always best to read the fine print... :eek: