AppleCare iMacs & Portables

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by p:ro, Feb 4, 2006.

1. p:ro macrumors member

I've just ordered a iMac G5 on AppleStoreSwitzerland Poseidon for about 1700$ including the 3 year warranty. I will use it as backup computer - FrontRow. I need the Powerbook for work, besides the PowerMacs at university. Since it will take a while, until we will have reached the UniversalTime (soon as Intel Powermac are out & software is updated), it's now the last&best time to get a cheap old iMac G5 - think about the benchmarks =.)

AppleCare - do they ?

I want to mention that you should allways consider to get AppleCare - specially if it's as cheap as on the Intel iMac's & iMac G5's - It's a must!

I got a new keyboard for my powerbook G4 about 3 months ago - free because of Apple Care. The thing is, that my university (ETH Zürich Switzerland) has twice a year a special deal with apple for the portables; we get a huge reduction & AppleCare for almost nothing.

But the official AppleCare:

AppleStore US vs. Switzerland: Product AppleCare for Macbook&Powerbook

US Price : 349$ times 1.3 = 450 sFr (swissFrancs)
    Swiss Price : 580 sFr divided 1.3 = 450$

What do you guys think of that? minimal 350$ for a longer warranty ? 450$ - Apple knows why...

Cheers...

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm thinking it's a combination of a couple of things.

1. The Swiss price probably includes a VAT whereas the US price does not. In the US, we have to add in a State Sales Tax that is dependent on where we live. Sales tax ranges from 0% to ~8 or 9%.

2. Applecare is basically an extended warranty. Apple has to price Applecare based on the expected number of claims and the expect cost of warranty service. I would expect the number of claims (when expressed as a percentage) to be the same in the US as it is in Switzerland. Perhaps the cost of labor in Switzerland is higher than in the US?

ft