Applecare inspection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by istuvok, Jan 30, 2007.

1. istuvok macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2007
    If you decide not to buy Applecare at the time of purchase is there an inspection process that you have to go through to buy the extended warranty? This is apparently the case with some big box retailers where if you delay extended warranty purchase they want to check out your machine to see if you have done anything that might require service under warranty (or something like that). How does Apple deal with this issue?
  2. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2006
    i have had no problem buying applecare later after the time of purchase, and as an added bonus, apple doesn't charge more to buy it later on, like dell and others do!
  3. aljlin macrumors regular

Sep 7, 2006
    Not sure what you mean about this question. When you buy applecare, in order for it to apply to your system, the product must still be under it's warranty, or rather, within a year of original purchase date. (though this may be different if purchasing from a non-apple authorized dealer, ie ebay and/or craigslist and/or friend..etc) Not sure what refurbished rules are. Therefore, I don't know what type of problems you are talking about requiring an inspection when buying applecare post computer/peripheral purchase. If you're talking about cosmetic damages prior to the applecare, it doesn't matter either way, applecare isn't going to get apple to pay for it. If you're talking about a hardware defect or something, your computer should already be under warranty so you shouldn't have to worry about applecare for them to fix it.
  4. istuvok thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2007
    I have to say I was not sure exactly what the big box retail guys would look for either. But you guys have answered my question. Thank you.