Applecare is the worst deal ever.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by obelix, Apr 15, 2005.

1. obelix macrumors member

Alright so let me get this straight. I spend $3500 CAD on a new PowerBook... and it comes with a flattering 90 days of phone support and a year of hardware support. It's just pathetic. 90 days? You don't even get to know your Mac in that time frame, let alone find any problems with it ;)

So say I have a problem and the problem has to do with Software Update not detecting updates... do they seriously expect me to pay $300 just so they can tell me that there's not a thing they can do and I should re-install Panther? What kind of company only provides 90 days of telephone support on their professional line of products. It's just pathetic.... simply pathetic.

I'm a pretty techy guy and I've been thinking honestly about whether or not I'd use Applecare in 3 years... I don't really need the telephone support (outside of bug issues) but what about hardware support. Has anyone had a PowerBook fail on them? The fact that they only support their products for a year has be wondering about the supposed quality of the Mac. My sister has a lovely 4 year old PowerBook and it's been a great workhorse for her.. and I must say I love my PowerBook... but this Applecare issue just keeps popping into my head. I read the other day that someone had the logic board on their iBook fail on them and they were out of Applecare... ouch.

What are your recommendations?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Being a college student and taking my PowerBook to and from campus regularly on bike, I've got AppleCare. Naturally if I drop it, they won't cover that, but the streets in the small town aren't the best, and the 'Book is getting shaken pretty bad sometimes, and if that would cause internal damage, it would be covered.

And I will be getting my money's worth from it. They've already given me a new battery. And recently I've noticed the AirPort being a little flaky and noticed that where the antennae wire connects to the card it's loose in that L-shaped piece. I'll be sending it in this summer, because even a PowerBook with flaky wireless is better than no PowerBook at all and I need it for school. BTW, it's a 1.25 Ghz 15 inch. I've had it for just over 18 months.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

If you buy Applecare, you probably won't get your money's worth, but if you don't, the thing will probably die because of a logic board failure or something... that's what I've noticed anyways. Let's just say, after working with Macs for 10 years, and being extremely proficient and handy at repairing my own problems, I still bought Applecare for my new iMac. Some things you just can't fix, and that's what insurance is for.

4. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Apple Care is a must. My ibook has seen some troubled times, logic board failed (before the recall) a year later the HD failed, luckily i back up to my ipod once a month. Some tech over at apple used the wrong size screw to secure my HD so I had a crack in the case growing over the HD. And now my combo drive is failing, refuses to play the 2nd half of DVD movies. All in all i figure the cost to fix all of these separately on my own is much more than my pitiful paycheck could handle. Hooray for applecare.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've never called Apple for support. Everytime I hear about an incident, it ends uselessly.

However, buy AppleCare for hardware problems. For someone with a laptop computer or an LCD display, it's worth it right there. Those with a PowerMac can probably eschew coverage because they're always pretty reliable.

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

I agree. Their warranty blows big time. It's really pathetic. I called to get help with the Awake From Sleep bug where it wouldn't ask for your password and just stay black, but the refused to even talk to me unless i paid for it. If it was a software issue they would charge me, if it was hardware they'd pay for it. I had a way of making it happen EVERY TIME i returned from sleep but yet they wouldn't even talk to me. You can thank apple for not getting it fixed faster due to their crappy warranty. This was around the 10.3.4-10.3.5 time frame.. last summer.

I'll say it again, I love my powerbook, i love my ipods, but i absolutely hate the warranty. It's virtually useless unless you pay for the extended applecare coverage. As a student i could barely afford the powerbook, let alone $200-300 for applecare THAT SHOULD BE FREE. especially for $1800. Tells me they don't stand by their products very well.

Either way, apple called and asked if i wanted to get applecare (i bought my machine a year ago tomorrow), it was delievered on May 1st, i told them to go screw off, i'll fix it myself rather than waste my time talking to them.

7. vsp macrumors regular

And this actually illustrates an important part of the first post. Because there are questions about Apple's hardware quality (deserved or not) it's a situation where people feel forced to buy the extended coverage because they can't trust the hardware and the basic coverage isn't good enough. Sort of like Apple's inability, until recently, to ever supply enough RAM in the basic configuration.

I'd be upset about the level of hardware failures you've had. And that would lead me to believe that the basic coverage needs to account for that. Especially since it appears to be a recurring issue with their portable line.

For the record, though, I bought the full Apple Care when I purchased my Powerbook and never thought twice about it. The Powerbook is my main computer and I wasn't going to take any risks with it. I've also been very lucky. No hardware problems to speak of and no need to ship the computer back for service. Just a few quick phone calls to tech support. Most of my problems I actually get answered here.

So while I understand and agree, in theory, with the initial post, my actual experience has been that my hardware is fine and I'm glad I have the coverage (I'll be even happier if I never have to use it). In my initial purchase I figured three years coverage is enough because I can't really expect a laptop to last longer or be powerful enough after that amount of time. Now, I'm not so sure. I haven't really seen a major reason why this machine can't keep going after that time is up. I'd even consider a second coverage agreement, if such a thing exists.

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Well, yes and no.

Intially, AppleCare is expensive. However, you can always cancel AppleCare within so many days of it ending and get a large portion of your money back, unless you've had problems within that extra 2 years. If so, they will deduct the cost of labor/parts from your AppleCare balance.

That is something many people do not know.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I've had my PowerBook, Mac #5 for me, since June of last year. I've never purchased Applecare for my other Macs, but this is my first laptop, and that is a definite factor for consideration. Last month my combo drive suddenly decided it would no longer let iTunes import from a CD-R (it would get 3/4 through a CD-R and just grind to a halt, but other media types worked just fine), so I backed up my hdd and went to my Apple Store. Sure enough, they sent my PB out for a replacement combo drive.
    This experience is making me wonder if I should purchase Applecare before my year is up. Can't quite decide. I kind of feel like if I get it I won't need it, and if I don't I'm screwed.
    Of course, I could just roll the diice and set aside the Applecare money for that PB G5 that's coming in 2008.

10. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Can AppleCare be renewed after the 3 years have expired?

11. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I purchased AppleCare for my PB 17" 1.33 and it has paid for itself. i've never needed to call Apple for naything but I did have my SuperDrive fail twice - replaced each time within 3 days. I also had my logic board go out 3.5 weeks after the initial warranty ended - that would have cost me a small fortune. Sure 90 days is a short time but to me AC has been worth every penny.

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

No. Apple thinks its time for you to get a new Mac :)

13. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Have you had any experience with doing this. :confused: I really had no idea about this and would like to know more about it :)

14. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Apple warranty is pretty bad considering Dell includes 2yr phone support and athome repairs for free on desktops that only cost $500. :(

15. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I cant imagine not getting Applecare. Yes, there should be a longer base warranty on their products.. but I definitely get my money's woth from applecare.

My latest CPU a 1GZ TiBook is now on its 2rd harddrive, 3rd Screen/Hinges, 4th powercord, and 3rd superdrive.

300 bucks was worth it all the way.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Check your AppleCare agreement for the terms. I have never cancelled AppleCare personally.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Apple Care is a huge money maker for Apple and is a huge commission for employees who are able to sell it. Which means, the majority of owners who purchase Apple Care, never ever need to use it, which tells you Apple products do last longer than 1 year and most never need professional servicing.

So if you are one of the unlucky few who actually do receive a defective product, you are in the really small minority. Most products that don't fail in the first year, will never fail for the next 5 if taken care of. Computer products are extremely reliable. I have an old Pentium computer I built myself from 1997 that still chugs alone just fine. I have assurance Apple's computers can last much longer than that.

18. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I have always thought extended warrenties were for suckers. If the company didn't make money off of them they wouldn't offer them.

With that being said, the number of people who have had problems and used AppleCare does concern me......

19. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Initially, I used to get upset of such porblems, but I've learned that things like this happen. Full time student with a full time job, for the most part my ibook is my life saver. I mentioned in a post months back that My family owns a few gas stations. 8 hours a day 4-6 days a week plus 3 days a week of classes. The ibook went every where with me. At work it was a way for me to kill time, doin some photoshopping or imovie or hw. I watched movies (thanks netflix) or just chatted. Then when i was done with the graveyard shift it was off to school. Where i presented with keynote (now keynote2) and did other various tasks for school. The only time it wasnt in use was when i was asleep or when it was traveling. COnsidering the extreme amount of use it has endured. Im surprised it still turns on. Travel is hard these machines, im glad it still works. And when apple care is up next month, its either a PB or imac. If i ge tthe imac then i wont be getting apple care. PB, then its all the way applecare.

20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

CORRECTION...

Apple Retail Employees do NOT earn commission.

21. iGary Guest

iGary

Never ever had a problem.

Exchanged two dead iPods no problem at the store, replaced an iBook that had an HDD failure right out of stock..had a pair of ear buds go bad last week - replacements arrived next day.

Guess I'm lucky....or persistent. :)

Why don't you try backing up and reinstalling the OS?

I haven't purchased Apple Care on anything, but I will when my iBook gets near its year.

22. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, if you think about it, a 2.5 GHz PowerMac with the high end video board, a couple of minor options and a 30" screen can run over $6,500 - much more if you buy Apple memory with it.

For a high end PowerMac, the $250 AppleCare costs is rather inexpensive. For the base PowerMac with everything else (including the screen) purchased elsewhere, the AppleCare is a much larger part of the cost of the PowerMac and may not be worth it.

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Dell Dimension 3000 $499 less 20% off $398 plus shipping $99 =$497

"No Extended Service, Support or Ltd Warranty4"
    "2Yr Ltd Warranty4, 2Yr At-Home Service5, and 2Yr Technical Support [add $49.00 ]"

You have to pay $593 with shipping or more to get a 2 year warranty and on-site repairs standard.

24. andrewfee macrumors 6502

For me, AppleCare is a must buy. However, I don't plan on purchasing it until closer to my years hardware warranty has run out.

Software issues (which I've yet to encounter) are something I can deal with myself, but if anything goes wrong with my Powerbook, I'd say it's likely to cost more than AppleCare would. While Apple's hardware is said to be reliable, I would rather pay for the extra two years of coverage; who knows what could happen in two years time?

It's not like it's a desktop PC where you can just buy the parts cheaply from a wide variety of sources; when Apple hardware goes wrong it's costly to fix.

I can't seem to get to ebuyer right now, but Apple were £350 to replace the hard drive in my iMac G5 (they got the faulty drive back within 3 days, yet they charged me by mistake after the two weeks you get to return the defective parts) A midplane was about £650 if I remember correctly.

The hard drive in the iMac probably only costs about £150 at most to buy new, but of course Apple charge extra to fix your Mac. If I had been out of my warranty I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford a replacement midplane, and that alone would have made it worth it.

25. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Dell actually has no standard warranty coverage at all. They charge $19 for a one year warranty, $49 for 2 years, $119 for 3 years and $189 for 4 years on low-end Dimension systems, so they're hardly free.