Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
What is Apple's statement on when a LCD will be replaced for dead pixels. I have like 5 but I can live with it. I just want to know incase I can get a new screen.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Apple like most companies are extremely secretive when it comes to their dead pixel/stuck pixel policy.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=22194 - which is the official guide doesn't mention anything specific at all.

...If you suspect your display contains a high number of pixel anomalies, take your Apple product to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for closer examination. There may be a charge for the evaluation.

Very helpful. :rolleyes:

Having said that if i had a LCD with 5 stuck or dead pixels I wouldn't be "living" with it!

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
ha i just did a recount... one of the areas takes up 4 dead pixels, one takes up 2, another takes up 1 and then another 1 and 5 more on black screens. lol this sucks.

Total: 13 dead/stuck

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I had roughly 10 or 11 on my last MacBook Pro LCD and I got it replaced when I sent it in to Apple. So you should definitely be able to get it replaced. I suggest taking it in to the Genius Bar.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I have some black ones and white ones. Some look brown and sort of smuged. BUt they are definately under the display. My dad is gonna drive me down later this week.

rambosou

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
Ohio
hmm

i dont have a mac but i was considering getting one, do all of their displays frequently get dead pixels?? im considering the mac book pro...

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
i dont have a mac but i was considering getting one, do all of their displays frequently get dead pixels?? im considering the mac book pro...

All LCD's tend to have dead pixels... It's all luckof the draw. You'd be heading the same way if you bought a PC laptop. MacBook Pro is still a great machine.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
All LCD's tend to have dead pixels... It's all luckof the draw. You'd be heading the same way if you bought a PC laptop. MacBook Pro is still a great machine.

Don't let your experiences with the high quality parts used in Macs deceive you, I actually never gotten a deal pixel on a non Apple branded device in my entire life.

LCD technology is not rocket science in 2006. Some manufacturers like Philips even guarantees you zero defects, not dark pixels, not stuck pixels, nothing at all, on their panels.

Apple just cheaped out with inferior components, it is that simple.

rambosou

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2007
Ohio
Don't let your experiences with the high quality parts used in Macs deceive you, I actually never gotten a deal pixel on a non Apple branded device in my entire life.

LCD technology is not rocket science in 2006. Some manufacturers like Philips even guarantees you zero defects, not dark pixels, not stuck pixels, nothing at all, on their panels.

Apple just cheaped out with inferior components, it is that simple.

I would have to agree with this... I have had 3 different LCD monitors and 2 notebooks (all Windows based machines) and have only experienced one dead pixel the whole time. My roommate on the other hand has an hp notebook with 3 whole rows of pixels that are dead... maybe just unlucky by chance. Not quite sure, either way I might take this into consideration if I purchase a MBP in the future, I cannot live with dead pixels haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.