Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
With the hopeful advent of new 15" Powerbooks this week (and even if not), I'm planning a powerbook purchse this week.

Is Applecare worth the money? I get a 10% discount on it ( as well as on hardware). I did get the Applecare on my iMac FP that I bought when they first came out, but I've not used it yet. I know laptops are inherently more likely to get beat on, but are the type of problems I'm likely to have over the next 3 years worth the upfront cost, or is it just overpriced insurance?

Thx,

...Jim

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
I didn't get Applecare on my desktop, and the only problem I've had with it was during the first year so I'm pretty glad I didn't spend the money on it, but when I purchase a notebook in the near future I will be getting the Applecare for it. If you actually travel around with it there are more opportunites for something to happen so it will be good to have then.

thebossisback

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2003
Providence, RI
Apple care on a desktop is a whole different story. I didnt get applecare on my powerbook and i regret this very much.If you buy the applecare you wont regret a thing

ddohnggo

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2003
doesn't 1 year applecare come with the purchase of a powerbook? i got a 17" powerbook, and i think i have applecare, although i haven't really looked to closely at the paper work.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Since it gets carried around and has more chance of something bad happening to it, I'd say that Apple Care is a good move--especialy if you use your computer to generate income or are in school.

I didn't get it on my iBook though. It's a secondary computer and I only planned to use it 2-3 years. $250 for Apple Care on a $1000 computer under those circumstances doesn't make much sense. I may replace it with a Powerbook and then I'd be much more likely to buy Apple Care.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
warrantee

On purchase, you get 1 year of service coverage and 90 days of phone support. Buying Applecare extends both of those to 3 full years. I know I used it a bit when I first got my iMac, and got it replaced, but it would have also been covered under the default warrantee.

Sounds like it's worth it. One change I'd love to see is a reduction in price of Applecare...

Thanks,

...Jim

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Buy the AppleCare with your PowerBook, no joke. It's a super kind of peace of mind -- and you're getting it at a discount!

For all the truth in the statement that Macs are well built, there ARE still times when things go wrong.

Good friend of mine bought a new PB in 1998 when we started law school. Imagine his surprize two years in when one day he started up and got a blinking cursor at the top left of the screen. No chime. No Sad Mac. Just the cursor. AppleCare time.

Apple makes a great product, but not an infallible one -- nor one that is cheap to fix/get fixed.

Counterpoint? [crossed fingers] My Rev. A TiBook has yet to hiccup and I've only got till Feb. 2004 left on my AppleCare. [/crossed fingers] Waste of money? I don't think so.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Please search this site for similar threads. To sum up the other threads: Buy AppleCare, it's cheap peace of mind. Most people never use AppleCare. Those that do use AppleCare generally have positive experiences. Laptops tend to have more problems because they are portable. It won't cover a fall from a 3-story building, but it will cover failure due to normal use. Plastics are not covered, but most everything else is. Get AppleCare early on- The warranty may be for a year, but free technical support is only 90 days.

In 12 years I have burnt through nearly as many laptops. I treat them well, but the hustle and bustle of constant travel takes its toll. The extended warranties have always paid for themselves. I have experienced unequaled speed and quality with Apple’s repairs. I should also note that I have had fewer problems with my Apple than with any other portable computer.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Interesting note: The applecare does not cover the lcd on your powerbook. When I bought my 17" I also purchased the LCD warranty from CompUSA, thats a lot of screen real-estate that can go bad and take a hit.. $250 is a nice penny, but damn... there isn't much alternative. Dead pixels, pretty much anything - its a nice compliment to applecare and I rest assured that no matter what happens to my PB.. its covered.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Does Apple offer any kind of (extended) LCD warranty?

Originally posted by cr2sh
Interesting note: The applecare does not cover the lcd on your powerbook. When I bought my 17" I also purchased the LCD warranty from CompUSA, thats a lot of screen real-estate that can go bad and take a hit.
I don't doubt your word, but can you point me to some additional information about AppleCare not covering the PowerBook's LCD? I just went to the Apple Store (on-line) and scanned the "terms and conditions" for AppleCare and don't see anything that sounds like it excludes a notebook's display from coverage.

NNO-Stephen

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally posted by macktheknife
Here's an interesting point of view on AppleCare:

http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=323_0_1_36_M

Just to summarize, AppleCare is not insurance. Read the terms of AppleCare very carefully. The plan mainly covers "existing defect in materials or workmanship", not damages due to accidents. You might want to see if your homeowner's insurance covers your laptop or check out http://www.safeware.com/.

ahh, but I did some checkong on http://www.safeware.com they even dont cover some things..

Wear and tear, gradual deterioration, depreciation, or original defects

Loss of income or interruption of business

Any preinstalled data or media which cannot be replaced with other of like kind or quality on the current retail market

Mechanical breakdown or faulty construction

Loss or damage from fraudulent, dishonest or criminal acts by the owner or user

Systems rented or leased to others

they dont even cover wear and tear... that could cover ANYTHING.

but Apple is usually pretty good with their "care" of "apple" products.... they have even covered me when I didn't have any apple care over the phone... nice friendly people.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
heres the thing applecare sort of has deifnitve policies but it all depends on how you spin your problem....If you send it in beause you crack the LCd your screwed but if the backlight dies or something....they might cover that because its a defect

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
I spoke with an AppleCare representative today to clarify the matter. He told me that in fact, AppleCare does cover the LCD as long as the problem resulted from a manufacturing defect. The COMPUSA TAP on the other hand covers damages to the screen. According to the Technology Assurance Program Service Guy I spoke with today "Anything that happens to that screen is covered." He used the example "If its on the floor and someone steps on it, itll be replaced." It would be nice to have that type of coverage on the entire laptop, I'm going to look into the service later tonight. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Anyone know if its possible to cancel Applcare service?

Also, what are the odds of them replacing the screen ina 17" powerbook in 2years? There comes a point, doesnt there, where its just cheaper to replace the entire laptop... right? So what happens next, next april when i step on it and it needs replaced? :)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Look at it this way.
If your poor it's worth the investment.
If you can afford a new computer, then it it's not.
I can't see why you would want to cancle AppleCare.
It dosn't have a monthly or yearly subscription price, just a onetime flat fee.
AppleCare transfers with the computer, this is a selling point.
AppleCare is also quick, other services may not be as fast.
AppleCare is limited in scope, where as other insurance is just that, insurance.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
Originally posted by Eniregnat

I can't see why you would want to cancle AppleCare.

AppleCare is limited in scope,

Obviously you can see why I'd be interested in cancelling applecare. :)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
its not really because you carry laptops around. the more you carry one around, the more you can possibly drop it, and apple doesnt fix that. applecare is more valuable on a laptop just because its a laptop. RAM is the only thing in that laptop that is cheaper than that applecare usually. i would have applecare on any apple computer i bought.

iJon

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
AppleCare as always turned out to be a waste of money for me. Especially for portables because most damage that will occur will happen due to lugging it around. AppleCare only covers defective factory parts, which in most cases, will fail very quickly. It's rare that you will see a 2 year old piece of electronics suddenly kick the bucket because of a factory defect. I've always found the best and cheapest option is to take out a seperate insurance policy for my portable. You can do this through most major insurance agency(ie?)s or thru a company like http://www.safeware.com
They are very good and very reasonable BTW. Because your potential machine will be a Rev A product you may be tempted to go for AppleCare. I admit I was tempted when I bought my 12" PowerBook but when I thought it over and came to my senses it just doesn't make any sense, for me atleast. Good luck and lets hope that 15" PowerBook shows it's face soon!

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Originally posted by cr2sh
I spoke with an AppleCare representative today to clarify the matter. He told me that in fact, AppleCare does cover the LCD as long as the problem resulted from a manufacturing defect. The COMPUSA TAP on the other hand covers damages to the screen.
OK, so this basically echoes what others have said: that AppleCare is basically an extended warranty (covering manufacturing defects but not damage due to accidents, etc.) while others plans like CompUSA's or safeware.com's are "insurance" plans. Thanks very much for sharing what you found out from the AppleCare rep!

yzeater

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
Hopefully I can add something to this thread. I've got a Gen A. Powerbook with Applecare. At zero cost to me they've replaced:
LCD (it had a short)
Battery (twice)
DVD drive (twice)
Logic board (I think that's what it's called)
EVERY CASE PIECE (including the track pad)
Hinges
...Some other stuff too that I've since forgotten

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by yzeater
Hopefully I can add something to this thread. I've got a Gen A. Powerbook with Applecare. At zero cost to me they've replaced:
LCD (it had a short)
Battery (twice)
DVD drive (twice)
Logic board (I think that's what it's called)
EVERY CASE PIECE (including the track pad)
Hinges
...Some other stuff too that I've since forgotten

I have a gen A g4 powerbook... they have replaced everything on my laptop except for the screen. even the power adapter was replaced ... the cord broke when someone tripped on it.

Applecare is great on a laptop if you take it places. Powerbook is made to be used

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by iJon
its not really because you carry laptops around. the more you carry one around, the more you can possibly drop it, and apple doesnt fix that. applecare is more valuable on a laptop just because its a laptop. RAM is the only thing in that laptop that is cheaper than that applecare usually. i would have applecare on any apple computer i bought.

iJon

on any mac laptop?
or any mac period?

i would not get it for a low end emac...the thing is built like a tank and if something is wrong with it, it would show up in first year

but with applecare on a laptop, which i recommend, i have know cases where user messed the machine up and still somehow got coverage

apple wants your repeat business and dissing customers on coverage is a good way to make people switch back to pc

pickles

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2003
San Francisco
So worth the money

I had purchased the 667 TiBook when it was brand new and upgraded to the combo drive a few months after. I did purchase Applecare with the computer. After 1 year I started to have major hardware problems. Applecare fixed my PowerBook 4 times (3 new motherboards, 2 HD, 1 combo drive) and after the last repair, whenever I would pickup the PB the screen would flash and the entire system would freeze. This was caused by the repeated repairs. Needless to say I am now writing this message on my new 1GHz PB w/ Superdrive thanks to Applecare.

What they do is look at what you have and try to match up a similar system. You can also pay a little extra and upgrade the system.

Bottom line, on a portable computer you must buy Applecare.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.