Applecare on eBay

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cattywampus_, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2006

Need a quick answer for this. I have found people selling Applecare for Macbook Pro's. They are unused and unopened according to the listings. Are these likely to be legit?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    Nobody can speak for every seller on eBay, but yes, people have reported successfully purchasing AppleCare from eBay.

Does that answer your question? :)

:edit: I hope this would be common sense, but it helps to view a given seller's feedback, make sure they have sold AppleCare before and that other buyers have left positive feedback that they had indeed received it without a problem.
  3. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2006
    To a degree :) Just read a couple of websites regarding this - am going to check it out :)

I guess at the end of the day, if I pay by Paypal and I should be ok, since Paypal always side with the buyer - I can just do a charge back and claim I was ripped off.
  4. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    I'm sure most of them are legit, but just be careful who you buy it from. I think that there was a thread a few days ago about someone who got scammed when buying applecare off of ebay.
  5. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2006
    Bagged it at £120 quid. Less than half of what it would cost from Apple. Guy seems genuine. Will find out on Friday when he says it should be with me.

Like I said in my original post - I've got PayPals protection to fall back on if its a dud. But am 99% certain its legit :)

So that will mean my Macbook is completely covered. Apple cover mechanical failure - house insurance covers accidental damage or theft.
  6. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Tell him to just email you the AppleCare code inside. That will let you know real quick if it's legit.

7. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2006

He offered to break the seal and send me the code to use straight away and then send on the bumf that comes with it - but I said not to and just send the box.