Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi,

Need a quick answer for this. I have found people selling Applecare for Macbook Pro's. They are unused and unopened according to the listings. Are these likely to be legit?

Ta

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Nobody can speak for every seller on eBay, but yes, people have reported successfully purchasing AppleCare from eBay.

Does that answer your question? :)

:edit: I hope this would be common sense, but it helps to view a given seller's feedback, make sure they have sold AppleCare before and that other buyers have left positive feedback that they had indeed received it without a problem.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
To a degree :) Just read a couple of websites regarding this - am going to check it out :)

I guess at the end of the day, if I pay by Paypal and I should be ok, since Paypal always side with the buyer - I can just do a charge back and claim I was ripped off.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I'm sure most of them are legit, but just be careful who you buy it from. I think that there was a thread a few days ago about someone who got scammed when buying applecare off of ebay.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Bagged it at £120 quid. Less than half of what it would cost from Apple. Guy seems genuine. Will find out on Friday when he says it should be with me.

Like I said in my original post - I've got PayPals protection to fall back on if its a dud. But am 99% certain its legit :)

So that will mean my Macbook is completely covered. Apple cover mechanical failure - house insurance covers accidental damage or theft.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Bagged it at £120 quid. Less than half of what it would cost from Apple. Guy seems genuine. Will find out on Friday when he says it should be with me.

Like I said in my original post - I've got PayPals protection to fall back on if its a dud. But am 99% certain its legit :)

So that will mean my Macbook is completely covered. Apple cover mechanical failure - house insurance covers accidental damage or theft.

Tell him to just email you the AppleCare code inside. That will let you know real quick if it's legit.

jon

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Well,

He offered to break the seal and send me the code to use straight away and then send on the bumf that comes with it - but I said not to and just send the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.